Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Firmware 4.18 - png files as books

My Glo updated to 4.18 recently from 4.15 I was surprised to see in "My Books" a whole load of odd looking "books" with no title. I then realised they weren't books but .png files use by the system for icons.

The annoying thing is they show up at the beginning of the list when I sort on "Recent" which is how I normally find stuff I've recently added and was going to read. I have to go through 8 or 9 pages of these before I come to "proper" books.

I've looked for threads that might explain this but not been able to spot any.

Is this some sort of deliberate change by Kobo ? .png files aren't books so why have the system find and classify them as such?

Is this a known issue that might be corrected later or am I stuck with it ?

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:40 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
maybe some flavor of? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323083
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
FrustratedReader
Ancient Sceptic
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Go to Books and Sort by File Type? Or Author.
I see epub first and pdf last.
I don't see anything else. However I've not copied anything else. I suppose there might be jpg or jpeg book covers...

Looks ... Hmmm I have also some kepubs between epubs and pdfs, no jp(e)gs or png appearing.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Having looked further at these the .pngs are because I have KOReader on the device. However before I updated the Kobo software didn't show them.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Having looked further at these the .pngs are because I have KOReader on the device. However before I updated the Kobo software didn't show them.

BobC
Yes I’m guessing you went from 4.15 to 4.18 this was a change introduced in 4.17

There should be a patch of some sort to disable this which I suspect is linked above
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
ps67
Groupie
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
thanks to @NiLuJe that explained clearly how to handle that issue:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=70

Last edited by ps67; 10-07-2019 at 05:23 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
That's a sticky on the KOReader bugtracker, FWIW .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
Nick Payne
Connoisseur
Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Nick Payne can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
My Glo updated to 4.18 recently from 4.15 I was surprised to see in "My Books" a whole load of odd looking "books" with no title. I then realised they weren't books but .png files use by the system for icons.
Yes, I'm seeing the same (first appeared when I updated my Clara HD to 4.17, and are still there with 4.18). The PNGs showing up in My Books are either images of single pages from books I am part way through reading, or sometimes images of things such as the home screen on the reader.

I implemented the "Kobo eReader.conf" fix suggested in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3894033, but I'm still getting the PNGs appearing in My Books.
Nick Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
perisiana
Enthusiast
perisiana began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I have had to uninstall Koreader, start the e-reader and install Koreader again to no longer have the PNG in the library.
Probably once the kobo indexes them, it shows them even after the fix? Just a guess
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
Yes, I'm seeing the same (first appeared when I updated my Clara HD to 4.17, and are still there with 4.18). The PNGs showing up in My Books are either images of single pages from books I am part way through reading, or sometimes images of things such as the home screen on the reader.

I implemented the "Kobo eReader.conf" fix suggested in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3894033, but I'm still getting the PNGs appearing in My Books.
The reason they are still appearing is because they were already inported before you implemented the fix.

Move them off your Kobo and let it update the database to remove them and then put the back.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The reason they are still appearing is because they were already inported before you implemented the fix.

Move them off your Kobo and let it update the database to remove them and then put the back.
When I tried it, they filtered elements were removed right away... there was no need to copy them off.

The config file has to be edited correctly, no Windows line endings (so use notepad++ or any programmers editor set to unix lines, not MS *Pad), the option has to be in the correct section, etc.

also that string whitelists .kobo and .adobe folders so if the PNG files are in there, they will stay

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-08-2019 at 08:11 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
It does need an USBMS session to trigger the scan, but, yes, it will remove the entries from the db, and physically remove the files themselves.

See https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5430 for more context.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote