Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #31
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura, Xoom, Droid X, Nexus 4 & 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Point of order ... I'm not sure this is actually true for a Forma.

About a week ago I finally found an acceptable 3rd-party slimfit clip-in case for my Forma. Although it now feels more protected I don't think it improves the "holdability" (if that's even a word). With a naked Forma the soft rubber back and angled button bevel is very comfortable to hold and significantly lighter.
I think its point was actually better to read without it (the original cover for the Forma).
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
Context : I use my One every day, I had (and still have some) pretty much every model, Glo being my favorite, the One is too heavy to hold with the thumb for longer period.

I don't mind the 300$ price tag. The only question that remains is : does it works well with PDFs? I'm an avid fan of RPG books but they aren,t really readable, even on the One because of the size so I still buy them physical. I would gladly go all digital if it's enough readable with this new reader.
This is in the same ballpark as iPad mini. Personally, I find 8" to still be too small for A4/letter size PDF. Would go at least 10" class 4:3AR for PDF.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #33
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
This is in the same ballpark as iPad mini. Personally, I find 8" to still be too small for A4/letter size PDF. Would go at least 10" class 4:3AR for PDF.
Even in landscape mode?
Old 02-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #34
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
Even in landscape mode?
Fit to width instead of fit to page? Possibly doable depending on your patience. For me, the limited window and panning was already annoying on a device with fast CPU and 60Hz screen refresh rate. Couldn't imagine doing that on e-ink.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #35
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Fit to width instead of fit to page? Possibly doable depending on your patience. For me, the limited window and panning was already annoying on a device with fast CPU and 60Hz screen refresh rate. Couldn't imagine doing that on e-ink.
Indeed, it will be slow to a crawl to scroll on the page. Thanks, you just save me 300$
Advert
Old 03-02-2019, 08:58 AM   #36
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Forma has a flickering PWM backlight so I'll stay away for that reason alone.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:27 AM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
Forma has a flickering PWM backlight so I'll stay away for that reason alone.
If your eyes can distinguish between a 1 kiloHertz PWM modulated light source and a steady light source, your eyes are better than human. The maximum rate at which there is some evidence that human eyes can detect flicker is less than that and that involved content with high frequency spatial edges and saccades. That is almost the opposite of what is displayed on an ereader screen which tends to have relatively static content with relatively few edges and smooth eye movement across the page.

OTOH, one test found that that using 120 to 840 Hertz modulation rates and RGB LEDs driven by a rectangular wave power source to reduce the effects of the phosphors used in most white light LED light sources, the participants were unable to distinguish between the light generated by the PWM LED source and light generated by LEDs driven by a variable current. Oddly most of the participants who reported they were suffering from the effects of PWM popularized in the media, did so regardless of which method of controlling the LED brightness was in use at the time.

An inversion of the placebo effect? Nocebo? I will admit to suffering from some dubiousness about claims about the effects (beneficial or deleterious) of anything for years. One study on the placebo effect found that a sugar pill was as effective as Rizatriptan in treating migraine headaches and one hell of a lot cheaper.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #38
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
1 kHz may be fine but the 240 Hz one on new OLED iPhones is causing problems for many.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
1 kHz may be fine but the 240 Hz one on new OLED iPhones is causing problems for many.
Other than anecdotal evidence, what is the basis for your statement? Personally, I tend to take such anecdotal complaints cum granis salis. One of my co-workers had to switch phones because she suffered from headaches which she blamed on her iPhone 7's PWM. Oddly enough, she spends much more time looking at the screen of her Dell XPS laptop which does use PWM and has not mentioned suffering from any ill effects.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
An attack on another member has been deleted.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote