Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 01:07 AM   #1
n8thegr8
n8thegr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo Clara HD stuck on loading screen

I attempted to sync my Kobo Clara HD to load some new library books on when I noticed the whole thing had frozen. I attempted to power it off and on but when the screen came back it was a black screen with a white loading symbol (two arrows in a circle) and three white dots underneath. It has been stuck like this for about 5 hours.

I tried without success:

- holding power for different lengths of time based on forum suggestions
- plugging it in for a few hours
- connecting it to the computer

There only seems to be the one button on the Clara HD. Apparently the little pin hole on the power button is for the LED only.

I can't seem to find anyone else on the Internet with this problem, or else I don't know quite what to call this.
n8thegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:06 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
I take it you are wanting to try the manual factory reset procedure? Did the LED do anything while you trying to trigger a reset?
  1. Charge your ereader for a couple of hours -- you can leave it plugged in after the charging time.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to force your Clara HD to power off.
  3. If you unplugged your ereader in step 1, plug your Clara HD into a power source (your computer or an USB charger)
  4. Press and hold the power button for up to 30 seconds.
  5. Once you see the restoring screen, you can release the power button.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:13 AM   #3
n8thegr8

The LED does not appear to do anything when I press the button. Thanks for the suggestions but nothing I do changes the “restore” screen or whatever it is called. No amount of pressing the power button turns it off.

Another thing I’ve tried since I posted is that I did pop open the Kobo and plug the memory card into my computer (Windows) and it said it was unreadable. I put it back in the kobo without modifying anything on the memory card but I wonder if this means that my memory card is corrupted. I’ve requested a Clara HD sd card image in another thread that I think I might try.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:44 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8thegr8 View Post
The LED does not appear to do anything when I press the button. Thanks for the suggestions but nothing I do changes the “restore” screen or whatever it is called. No amount of pressing the power button turns it off.
Firstly, holding power button down for 15-20 seconds will force the device to turn off. It does not do a clean shutdown, so the screen will not change. The only change you will see is that if the screen light is on, it will turn off.

Secondly, the hole in the power button is just to allow the power LED to be seen. It isn't a reset button.

Did you follow @DNSB's instructions completely? All of the steps are important. If you don't do them all properly, it won't work.
Quote:
Another thing I’ve tried since I posted is that I did pop open the Kobo and plug the memory card into my computer (Windows) and it said it was unreadable.
The SD card has multiple partitions. Windows doesn't handle this properly and will always state it has problem and offer to reformat it. DO NOT do that.
Quote:
I put it back in the kobo without modifying anything on the memory card but I wonder if this means that my memory card is corrupted. I’ve requested a Clara HD sd card image in another thread that I think I might try.
I have sent you a PM with the link to the image.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:47 AM   #5
n8thegr8

I tried the manual reset steps with no luck.

Thankfully the fresh image you provided did the trick. After popping it back in the Kobo it restarted just fine. Just going through the first time set up again. Thanks!