Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
hemulin
hemulin began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook inkpad 3 (PB740)
Question How to install .apk on the PB740?

Hi all,

I have a new PocketBook Inkpad 3 (PB740) running FW U740.5.17.1736

I wish to install some apk(s) on the device but so far couldn't find how to do that.

Tried ADBing my way into the system but can't find the famous "enable USB debugging" option in the menus, tried downloading apk directly from the built-in browser and install it but it insists that that this is not recognized book format and does nothing with it.

When connected to the PC I can see all the internal folders.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance
hemulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemulin View Post
Hi all,

I have a new PocketBook Inkpad 3 (PB740) running FW U740.5.17.1736

I wish to install some apk(s) on the device but so far couldn't find how to do that.

Tried ADBing my way into the system but can't find the famous "enable USB debugging" option in the menus, tried downloading apk directly from the built-in browser and install it but it insists that that this is not recognized book format and does nothing with it.

When connected to the PC I can see all the internal folders.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance
.APK is not for Android OS only ?
My applications on the inkpad740 I do not install them. I copy the .APP file to the "Aplication" folder that's all :-) .

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 11-04-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
hemulin

Yes, and as much as I understand, the underlying system of the Inkpad is Android. Am I wrong?

I've seen many (old) posts about ADB to other models which strengthening my belief (bcz engineers are lazy) that this one is also some kind of customized android
Old 11-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
There were some devices with LCD screens that may have been Android, but the devices with E-Ink screens run straight linux with a custom display system (Inkview). You cannot install Android packages on the PocketBook E-Ink devices.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:18 AM   #5
hemulin

@rKomar - Thank you, that's good to know.
Do you know which distro are they running and would I be able to install an Android env on it?
For example Anbox (https://anbox.io/) or Shashlik (http://www.shashlik.io/)
Advert
Old 11-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #6
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I have never heard of Android on Pocketbook devices, at least not the newer ones since 2013. You should save yourself the trouble and get an Android device or try out the existing applications for Pocketbook, like Coolreader and Koreader.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
hemulin

@LucyOne - It is probably a wise advise. Wish I have done my homework better before purchasing it. I was really certain that it runs Android

I have another Nook device (glowlight) which is running android and it was quite easy rooting it and installing whatever I wanted on it, and thought I'd be able to do the same for my mom (hence the different device, due to its bigger screen).

Oh well... thank you all, it is much appreciated.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:01 AM   #8
Niko_N
Niko_N began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
If you can use unix terminal, you can istall "PBterm" app on pocketbook.
Later, you can install any app for armel linux (Debian armel architecture[Most of Cortex procesors are in armel architecture, but some of this processors can be in arm64 architecture]).

PS
Sorry for my English
Niko_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #9
Niko_N
Niko_N began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 2
First you must have root on your device, of course
Niko_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #10
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Rooting a Pocketbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko_N View Post
First you must have root on your device, of course
Wow, you are the first one I heard from who rooted his Pocketbook.
How did you do that?
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:32 AM   #11
spell
spell began at the beginning.

Device: inkpad 3
Lightbulb

Hi everybody!

Is it possible to install a browser with EXTENSION ON Inkpad 3 ??

With a .app file or something

This is a MacOs am I right? What if you simple copy a .app file form an Apple?

spell

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-03-2019 at 04:20 AM.
spell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:21 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A PocketBook PB740 does not run MacOS or iOS, and so will not run .app files from an Apple device.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote