Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
chicleeblair
Connoisseur
chicleeblair began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Best ebook app for reading fan fiction?

Hi guys, I’m a pretty heavy fic reader, and i use calibre to organize fic downloaded—mostly—from AO3 and ffnet. Most of my library are finished stories I love or plan to read, but like any fic reader there are plenty that I read that are still being updated, regularly or not. I’ve got it all running smoothly via calibre and fanficfare, but I was wondering what the best reader app would be in the following situation:

whenever a new chapter is added onto a fic, what I basically end up doing is sending a new copy of the story from Calibre Companion to the ereader app. I’d love to just be able to update the file via Calibre and have it sync with the app, but that doesn’t seem to exist these days. What would be optimal is if the app could just replace the old version of the ebook with the new one. I haven’t found anywhere that that’s the case. Marvin sends me an alert that There is Already a File by That Name in your library or similar. iBooks either opens the old version or adds a second copy. Both make it better to delete after I’ve read each update, which i can do but it makes my library look so sparse!

Any other suggestions? Any other fic readers with similar needs?
chicleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
This reminds me of what I miss most about Stanza. The Calibre OPDS integration was excellent. It was easy to delete, overwrite and read books directly from the OPDS feed which was perfect for fanfics. It was like having Calibre Companion with a built-in reader (except access to the Calibre server host is read-only so can't update read status on server).

I'm still using Marvin + copy of Calibre library on Dropbox + CalibrePHP server (for when I need more complex view/search).

When downloading through Dropbox, if Marvin encounters a file with the same filename, it asks if you want to overwrite the book unlike the Open in.../Web Browser/OPDS Server behavior that just tells you there's a file with the same name but you still have to manually search for and delete the book.

You might consider MapleRead. I tried it a while back but went back to Marvin because I couldn't disable animations. I should probably try it again as the app developer has added an "Instant" option.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
yonkyunior
Cultivator
yonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litter

Device: PRST2
i am using Moon Reader, if there's new version of the titles with new chapter, i just overwrite files directly without add again in the app, since the app will open the same filename and same last position.
yonkyunior is offline   Reply With Quote