Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Suggestion for PI Devs

Current practice for many plugins is to upload beta's to MR and attach them to thread response posts, with luck the beta attachments are deleted when a new beta is issued or a new version is added to the first post - but often they're not.

Can I suggest betas be uploaded into a 'fixed' location in a cloud storage service, and a link to it be posted, then when the new version of the PI is released the developer can delete their last beta from their storage.

Note: this is not to reduce MR storage, but to avoid having multiple beta versions sprinkled though plugin threads because they haven't been deleted.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That assumes all plugin devs have cloud storage they're willing to give others access to. If it was to reduce MR storage, I might understand. Since it isn't, I think plugin devs should be free to do whatever works best for their own workflow and their user base.

What's worse: various betas sprinkled throughout a thread, or links to various betas sprinkled throughout a thread? Or broken links to betas sprinkled around? Any way you slice it, devs would still need to remember to edit posts and delete something where betas are concerned, no?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thread title says "Suggestion", that's all it is; No expectations; no names, no pack-drill

I envisaged dev would upload beta to cloud, subsequent betas would replace…… Once its released they delete the last beta from the cloud. Any links to the beta would issue a 'file not found/404/whatever' message.

I worry that users will download buggy betas because they weren't deleted - it's happened a couple of times - over the years

BR
Old 09-27-2020, 05:16 AM   #4
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Uploading to cloud services does not tell you how many times it has been downloaded, and whether enough people tested it to warrant a release.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:24 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Then use a file locker like Media Fire, or an FTP server and look at the logs

Do plugin devs really make beta->release decisions based on number of downloads?

BR
Advert
Old 09-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #6
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Yes, actually. If nobody, or very few people have tried a test version my confidence in it is less than if it's been downloaded a dozen times without anyone complaining.

Although I agree with you in principle--one place for test versions is more organized and convenient. However, I, personally, am not interested in using a separate cloud storage for it.

I copied using the second post of the thread for test version (from DaltonST, I think) when I renamed FFDL to FFF; which works very well, but requires some prior planning. (Or luck. As I recall, it was just chance that I had also made that second post.)

I know mods can move posts between threads, can a mod insert a post owned by the OP up as the second post for this purpose?
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Yes, actually. If nobody, or very few people have tried a test version my confidence in it is less than if it's been downloaded a dozen times without anyone complaining.
Same here. I want to see in one location (comments, download counts, etc...) what I'm dealing with. I prefer a one-stop shop wherever possible. But then, I'm also ocd about trying to cleanup incorporated/abandoned beta attachments in my threads, so there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I know mods can move posts between threads, can a mod insert a post owned by the OP up as the second post for this purpose?
Unfortunately, that's not currently possible (that I know of). There's been many times that would come in handy, though!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:50 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Xenforo style threadmarks could have been handy here.

But mobileread's software simply orders all posts in a thread by date, and lets you move posts between threads where they promptly get inserted in date order. You'd have to find an innocent post elsewhere within *just* the right range of time to be mugged, brainwashed, and given plastic surgery to look and think like it belongs in the thread at post #2.

Personally I find betas interesting, mostly because most plugin devs don't use github or other version control, so often the best you can do for version history is to line up betas and old versions lying around in forgotten config directories.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
I have someone else's "innocent" post and its author @bravox's consent to take over #2 of my thread. I would love to see the beta versions of the "LubimyCzytac" plugin. Is it possible to change the author of the post from the user 244251 to 280405?

Thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282922
BeckyEbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Anything is possible if your name is Alexander and you obtain an admin shell prompt for the database...

I suggest it's a better idea to delete that post, though, then post #3 which is yours again, will be #2.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #11
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Removal is a good idea.
Then in post #3 (and later #2) I can put both beta versions for LubimyCzytac and the METAmover plugin.
BeckyEbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
Removal is a good idea.
Then in post #3 (and later #2) I can put both beta versions for LubimyCzytac and the METAmover plugin.
Done

BR