Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
"Books" for sony reader Its a piece of mac software

And it looks very interesting too.
Its a 'itunes' organiser for books... here take a look

this link is to a page specifically talking about the 505

http://books.aetherial.net/wordpress/?p=64
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

also found tis bit which adds more info on his plans

There are two major things that I’ll be focusing on in “Books 4″:

1. Portable devices: “Books 4″ will treat portable reader devices just as iTunes treats iPods. You will be able to create playlists of works and synchronize those works to a portable device. If you have an audio device, the audio version of the work will be placed on the device. If you have an eBook reader, the PDF version will be placed on the device. If you have a device that can accommodate both (such as the iPhone or Amazon’s Kindle), you will have a choice about how you decide to access your portable content.

2. Sources for electronic content: Books already fetches metadata for records online (Quickfill). I want to expand this by designing “Books 4″ to fetch the content, too. If you have a version of Moby Dick cataloged in Books, it will go to Project Gutenberg and fetch the text. If you buy a DVD that collects decades of comic books, “Books 4″ will be smart enough batch import those files. I want to make Books useful for not only cataloging and searching metadata, but content as well.
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #3
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I've been playing with it and looking at the source to see if I can implement a hack to make it work with the command line utilities of libprs500.

If the two of them got together they could make a really great solution. I love the features of libprs500, but don't like the interface and the lack of real OS integration with the Mac. I like Books but it lacks the PRS-505 integration and it doesn't do any of the conversions.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry. Double Post.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I've been playing with it and looking at the source to see if I can implement a hack to make it work with the command line utilities of libprs500.

If the two of them got together they could make a really great solution. I love the features of libprs500, but don't like the interface and the lack of real OS integration with the Mac. I like Books but it lacks the PRS-505 integration and it doesn't do any of the conversions.
Well the author seems aware of Kovid and Libprs so hopefully something will happen! as it seems on paper at least that between the two programs a perfect tool could be created.
Advert
Old 01-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Nice to see the links for libprs500 and BookDesigner both pointed to the MobileRead Wiki. Although the writer did identify BookDesigner as a commercial program.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Nice to see the links for libprs500 and BookDesigner both pointed to the MobileRead Wiki. Although the writer did identify BookDesigner as a commercial program.
yeh he seems really interested in what others have done and then plans to add the 505 functionality to books.

any software that works with the 505 and Macs has to be a good thing.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Chris the author of books contacted me a while back to ask for help with writing a driver for the 505. He seems to have found what he needs in the libprs500 source.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
astrodad
Guru

I only know a little objective C otherwise I would jump in and help with the effort. Now if only Sony would pony up and pay these guys some cash so we can get a supported platform.