Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-09-2018, 08:15 PM   #4471
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 10 Dec @ 11:59 PM GMT
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #4472
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Christmas Audible freebie for members, and it's something different!

The Christmas Hirelings by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, narrated by Richard Armitage.

Quote:
Richard Armitage modernizes a classic hidden gem of Christmas Past… Sir John Penlyon is planning to spend Christmas at his estate with his niece and his friend Danby, the closest thing he has to family since disowning his daughter years ago. (She eloped with the parson, who was, of course, penniless.) Danby suggests that at Christmastime the estate needs the presence of small children, and offers to find some - the “hirelings” - despite Sir John’s skepticism. Three children duly arrive, and the youngest, precocious four year-old Moppet, quickly endears herself to Sir John. The season takes flight with merriment, warmth, and even affection, until Moppet - as young children are wont to do in Victorian holiday tales - falls deathly ill. With her life hanging by a tinsel-thin thread, how will the makeshift family cope?

Listeners who smile ironically at the antiquated juxtaposition of The Christmas Hirelings might be surprised by the contemporary feel of a blended family, income inequality, and the power of togetherness to heal past sorrows. Richard Armitage’s stellar voice makes each scene as rich as a plum pudding dotted with the raisins of tradition (party favors, carols, and more!), and the entire performance feels like a trip to bygone England…just in time for the end of this year.
My e-mail from Audible didn't display properly and I can't read the expiration date--but it's January something.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #4473
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Christmas Audible freebie for members, and it's something different!

The Christmas Hirelings by Mary Elizabeth Braddon, narrated by Richard Armitage.

My e-mail from Audible didn't display properly and I can't read the expiration date--but it's January something.
Yay! Free for members and non-members alike. Maybe it's not coal in my stocking after all...
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #4474
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
Doesn't seem to include Lite members. Now I've run out of reasons to continue my membership other than lightening my wallet of $10 every year.
Doesn't include Lite members?!?!???

No, that can't be true!

Audible would never treat any of their members that way! There must be some kind of mistake! I refuse to believe it! <----wacko

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 12-10-2018 at 03:39 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #4475
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Daily Deals -- exp 10 Dec @ 11:59 PM PT

* We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories That Are Funny, Complicated, and True
Advert
Old 12-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #4476
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Doesn't include Lite members?!?!???

No, that can't be true!

Audible would never treat any of their members that way! There must be some kind of mistake! I refuse to believe it! <----wacko
I am a lite member and was able to get the book.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #4477
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audiobooks.com -- 12 Days of Deals -- exp 10 Dec
  • $7.99 -- The Year of Less -- Cait Flanders/ Cait Flanders --> 5.6 hrs --> NF self-help
Quote:
The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store

In her late twenties, Cait Flanders found herself stuck in the consumerism cycle that grips so many of us: earn more, buy more, want more, rinse, repeat. Even after she worked her way out of nearly $30,000 of consumer debt, her old habits took hold again. When she realized that nothing she was doing or buying was making her happy-only keeping her from meeting her goals-she decided to set herself a challenge: she would not shop for an entire year. The Year of Less documents Cait's life for twelve months during which she bought only consumables: groceries, toiletries, gas for her car. Along the way, she challenged herself to consume less of many other things besides shopping. She decluttered her apartment and got rid of 70 percent of her belongings; learned how to fix things rather than throw them away; researched the zero waste movement; and completed a television ban. At every stage, she learned that the less she consumed, the more fulfilled she felt. Blending Cait's compelling story with inspiring insight and practical guidance, The Year of Less will leave you questioning what you're holding on to in your own life-and, quite possibly, lead you to find your own path of less.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 12-11-2018 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #4478
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
I am a lite member and was able to get the book.
It was mainly hyperbole (exaggeration). The point is: "Inactive Listeners" or "InactiveListeners" really don't get much for their membership fee (albeit a small one) anymore.

I signed up for the Listener Light/Inactive Listener (the name used to be ListenerLite or Listener Light) plan several years ago, and I renewed it year after year. It seems to me that, as time went on, that there was a point where we started to get to participate in fewer and fewer sales and promotions. Somewhere along in there, Audible started calling us Inactive Listeners--that was like a kick in the teeth.(I put my money where my "mouth" is: I had about a year left on my Inactive Listener membership, but I got so disgusted with Audible that about 6 months before the expiration was to have occurred, I called Audible and politely canceled my association with them completely).

[I started writing what would have amounted to a long post about my grievances. I decided that I don't want to do that.]

When Audible changed the name of the membership to Inactive Listener, they told us more than they might have intended--we've been more and more inactive buying from them, because we get to participate in fewer and fewer sales and promotions.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #4479
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Audible -- Monthly Offer -- exp 03 Jan

Christmas Eve, 1914 -- Charles Olivier
I am halfway through this one, and very much enjoying it, as the cast is really good, and there's a nice amount of ambient sounds. So pick it up, for those of you who have an Audible subscription. Quite short, at just more than an hour.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #4480
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 11 Dec @ 11:59 PM GMT
Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #4481
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 11 Dec @ 11:59 PM PT

* Ancient Civilizations of North America

* Bare Minimum Parenting: The Ultimate Guide to Not Quite Ruining Your Child

Last edited by issybird; 12-11-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added Audible price.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #4482
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
While I've known about them for a while, I've never really had occasion to post about Spoken World audio. They are an audiobook service out of the UK, and they mostly specialize in UK-specific providers like BBC audio, Fantom Films, and Big Finish. Their books are DRM-free and decent quality.

So why mention them now? They have a couple of new freebies that are worth mentioning. The only problem? They have holiday dyslexia - we get Halloween freebies for Christmas! Both pages say "***FREE FOR XMAS/NY 2018***" so these aren't likely to still be free at this time next year. If you're interested don't wait too long to check it out.
Quote:
The Victorian era is remembered for many things, but one of the fondest is the wide and varied array of short, ghostly, suspenseful tales…often enjoyed around the fireside at Christmas time.

In this new anthology, John Banks performs twelve of the very best, all written by incredibly talented, but oft-times overlooked or forgotten, authors. Once you tire of Dickens and James, these are the true masters of short-form suspense:

• “The Steel Mirror” by W.W. Fenn
•“A Real Country Ghost Story” by Albert Smith
•“The Weird Violinist” by Anonymous
•“Walsham Grange: A Real Ghost Story” by E. Morant Cox
•“Haunted” by Coulson Kernahan
•“Nicodemus” by Alfred Crowquill
•“The Veiled Portrait” by James Grant
•“The Ghost Chamber” by Anonymous
•“The Doll’s Ghost” by F. Marion Crawford
•“How Peter Parley Laid A Ghost: A Story of Owl’s Abbey” by Anonymous
•“The Ghost’s Summons” by Ada Buisson
• “A Terrible Retribution; or, Squire Orton’s Ghost” by Anonymous
Quote:
The Victorian era is remembered for many things, but one of the fondest is the wide and varied array of short, ghostly, suspenseful tales…often enjoyed around the fireside at Christmas time.

In this new anthology, Billie Fulford-Brown performs four of the very best, all written by incredibly talented, but oft-times overlooked or forgotten, female authors:

•“A Mysterious Visitor” by Ellen Wood
•“The Ghost of the Treasure Chamber” by Emily Arnold
•“Number Two, Melrose Square” by Theo Gift aka Dora Havers
•“Christmas Eve in Beach House” by Eliza Lynn Linton
Enjoy!
skinmaan
Your audiobook bloodhound

Last edited by skinmaan; 12-11-2018 at 02:57 PM.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #4483
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
They have holiday dyslexia - we get Halloween freebies for Christmas!
Telling ghost stories on Christmas Eve is an old, old tradition that has mostly died out. It lives on, of course in the lyrics of the song "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" ("There'll be scary ghost stories / And tales of the glories / of Christmases long, long ago") and, of course, in that most famous Christmas ghost story, A Christmas Carol.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #4484
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Telling ghost stories on Christmas Eve is an old, old tradition that has mostly died out. It lives on, of course in the lyrics of the song "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" ("There'll be scary ghost stories / And tales of the glories / of Christmases long, long ago") and, of course, in that most famous Christmas ghost story, A Christmas Carol.
Huh! Learn something new every day.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:41 PM   #4485
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Downpour -- exp 11 Dec