Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
ChrisHistorian76
ChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animalsChrisHistorian76 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Icarus quietly goes out of business

It appears Icarus has quietly gone out of business.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...as-disappeared
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
Well, pooh.

It's not the first time one of my vendors has gone on me, but it's still annoying. At least I didn't 'invest' too much in my Icarus (and it's out of guarantee), it's just used to side load my large collection, given I don't want a Kindle and my Kobo started to not to want to talk to my Mac when I had an SD card installed.

So I guess I'll have to start looking out for my next device.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Well, pooh.

It's not the first time one of my vendors has gone on me, but it's still annoying. At least I didn't 'invest' too much in my Icarus (and it's out of guarantee), it's just used to side load my large collection, given I don't want a Kindle and my Kobo started to not to want to talk to my Mac when I had an SD card installed.

So I guess I'll have to start looking out for my next device.
Maybe an other koko ?
Else, you might want to look at bookeen (should be availible in the UK), or pocketbook.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
My main device criteria are vendor-neutral, and Mac-compatible. Page-turn buttons are also good because I have dry skin and current touch-screens don’t always work well for me (I got on better with older IR screens). Also, I need decent on-board storage and an expansion slot. I prefer e-Ink to LCD because of battery life.

Anyway, I’m not in a hurry - the Icarus is still working fine. Mind you, combining the reader with a note-taking function might be good although I suspect that will adversely impact on functionality.

I moved away from Kobo because I started having problems when I was using an SD-card, and more recent models don’t have a slot. I would have gone for the 32 Gb device, but couldn’t get hold of it here. Plus, I feel Kobo seem to be going down the Apple route and trying to lock people into their ecosystem.

Last edited by maddz; 12-08-2018 at 02:32 PM.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote