Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
loushantz
loushantz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Post Eyes sore Question

Hi,

Just wondering if any of you guys installed glare reduction on his own gadgets? example: https://justgetflux.com/ios.html

Thanks.
loushantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Your link is to software that appears to change the color of the light emitted from your screen. Most modern OS's have "nightshift" which does this

One guy I read is using sunglasses for his Kindle as these don't yet have a way to control the 'temperature' of the backlight

iOS devices such as the iPad Pro definitely have night shift with adjustable temperature.

-Pizza
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My ipad has the night light as well but its subtle
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hear this new true color on ipad iphone or what ever the hell you call it helps reduce eye strain. I notice no issues with reading on my ipad lately
Old 12-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I hear this new true color on ipad iphone or what ever the hell you call it helps reduce eye strain. I notice no issues with reading on my ipad lately
Yeah, True Tone has helped me as well. I switched from iPad Air to iPad Pro 9.7 back in March 2016 and I've definitely noticed getting fewer migraines and reduced eye strain.

Interestingly enough, the big iPad Pro 12.9 gives me more migraines than the smaller iPad does despite having True Tone as well.

By the way, Night Shift is adjustable (on iOS 10, at the very least, no idea about iOS 9). You can make it more orangey/reddish and I think devices with True Tone enabled usually go even warmer.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Yes True Tone was the upgrade I previously didn't know I needed or wanted. But when I got my iPad Pro 9.7" a couple of years ago and compared it with my older iPad and iPhone I immediately saw the benefits! I did get a little eyestrain without True Tone, mostly from squinting due to the colors after dark being shifted too far to the blue side of the color spectrum for comfortable night use. I never got headaches though, thankfully, nor did the blue cause me not to sleep at night. Nevertheless, True Tone is a great improvement which I now enjoy on my iPhone as well.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I also use Reduce White Point at 80% under Display Accommodations along with the True Tone and Night Shift. I didn't understand what True Tone was doing until I reset the iPhone 8 again for the iOS 12 upgrade and saw the difference again.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I use f.lux on my MacBook. Two thumbs up from me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I also use Reduce White Point at 80% under Display Accommodations along with the True Tone and Night Shift. I didn't understand what True Tone was doing until I reset the iPhone 8 again for the iOS 12 upgrade and saw the difference again.
Same. Those three things definitely made reading on LCD more comfortable for me.

Mind, before those features were introduced to iOS, I had something similar with Stanza and Marvin (sepia theme plus extra dimming).
Old 01-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Yeah, True Tone has helped me as well. I switched from iPad Air to iPad Pro 9.7 back in March 2016 and I've definitely noticed getting fewer migraines and reduced eye strain.

Interestingly enough, the big iPad Pro 12.9 gives me more migraines than the smaller iPad does despite having True Tone as well.

By the way, Night Shift is adjustable (on iOS 10, at the very least, no idea about iOS 9). You can make it more orangey/reddish and I think devices with True Tone enabled usually go even warmer.
I noticed today I was able to read a long time on my ipad without eye strain. I do change the paper color to the green or that tan color instead of white and it makes a difference as well.

I can't get the warm light to go deep tho even at the highest level. I have ipad pro 10.5 and it is up to date
Old 01-01-2019, 10:07 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I noticed today I was able to read a long time on my ipad without eye strain. I do change the paper color to the green or that tan color instead of white and it makes a difference as well.

I can't get the warm light to go deep tho even at the highest level. I have ipad pro 10.5 and it is up to date
Ah, you prefer the display more reddish than I do. I stick to just 50% on mine.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Must be a personal thing. I bought the 2017 12.9" Pro, and began getting headaches no matter what I was doing with it. I've had to switch nightshift on 24/7, and that doesnt even deal with it completely. Never had such issues with mini or Air2. Very disappointing. Havent had it long but will likely sell soon.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #13
Stu109
Enthusiast
Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.Stu109 knows what's going on.

Device: Apple
Even with night shift and true tone on I have to really dial down the brightness and in the evenings switch to night mode on iBooks. During the day I use the beige background. Even then I find I sometimes have to make the text a little bigger.

I also use Marvin which gives greater flexibility in these areas which I find useful, have to say with the combination of technology changes and doing these things I no longer get eyestrain
Stu109 is offline   Reply With Quote