Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
BrooklynWiz
BrooklynWiz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Blank pages when drag out of PDF?

Wondering if anyone has encountered this... I have a book which was converted to a DRM free PDF format so that I could share selections with my students... When I try to drag pages out of it to create a new document (using Mac Preview) the pages in the new document are all blank.

I even tried it where I extracted them using a different program and at first they would open in Preview and I could read it, but then the next day when I opened it again the pages were blank.

Any knowledge/theories/advice?

P.S. This is my first post on this forum, I hope I haven't violated any rules or norms, please forgive me if I did.
BrooklynWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynWiz View Post
I even tried it where I extracted them using a different program and at first they would open in Preview and I could read it, but then the next day when I opened it again the pages were blank.

Any knowledge/theories/advice?
Have you tried to view these "extracted" PDFs in another PDF reader? MacOS Preview is notoriously poor at handling PDFs. Its PDF support is rather limited and faulty. I highly suggest that you test these in Adobe Acrobat Reader to see if the PDFs are themselves flawed or whether you are encountering one of the numerous faults in Preview.

If your students will be using limited/flawed PDF readers then you may need to reprocess the extracted PDFs in a tool that would "simplify" the structure. One basic method it to print the desired sections of the original PDF to disk as a PDF file using the MacOS's built in service. To do this you click the "PDF" button in the standard print dialog after making the page range selection.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:14 AM   #3
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I like cpdf for dissecting PDFs.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
BrooklynWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Have you tried to view these "extracted" PDFs in another PDF reader? MacOS Preview is notoriously poor at handling PDFs. Its PDF support is rather limited and faulty. I highly suggest that you test these in Adobe Acrobat Reader to see if the PDFs are themselves flawed or whether you are encountering one of the numerous faults in Preview.

If your students will be using limited/flawed PDF readers then you may need to reprocess the extracted PDFs in a tool that would "simplify" the structure. One basic method it to print the desired sections of the original PDF to disk as a PDF file using the MacOS's built in service. To do this you click the "PDF" button in the standard print dialog after making the page range selection.
I tried doing this, but it didn't work. The new PDF contains excerpts from 2 different books... The excerpt from one of the books came out fine, from the "problem" book the pages are showing up blank (and that happened when I opened it in Adobe Reader as well). Any other suggestions?
It's strange, the pages that I "extracted" from the book using a website called smallpdf.com initially downloaded and were readable, but after about 15 minutes or so (and attempting to use the MacOS's method as you described) those pages are now blank as well.

Last edited by BrooklynWiz; 01-31-2018 at 12:26 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 01-31-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
BrooklynWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
I like cpdf for dissecting PDFs.
I fear this is beyond my abilities, I didn't really understand what I was looking at.