Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
moerv
moerv began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX
Help: Some PDFs do not work with the Kindle DX

Hi!

I didn't use calibre at all, just send normal PDFs to my Kindle DX via USB. I send over 60, but only 5 or so would open. My kindle DX displays me the same message:

"this pdf cannot be opened dut to embedded features not yet supported by kindle"

Then I tried calibre with enabling/disabling some pdf plugins, but they still didn't open. Transforming the PDFs is not an option since the format is widely crushed after that.

Has anyone a solution how to read the pdfs?

Thank you very much!
moerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
There is no one magic fix that resolves all issues with all PDFs. In fact, most "fixes" only work on a particular narrow range of PDFs. You'll likely have to try a number of tricks.

One such trick that has worked for me is to open the "evil" PDF on a PC using Adobe Reader and then printing it to disk using a PDF virtual printer. These virtual printers are system level print drivers that write out a PDF to disk instead of feeding data to a hardware printer. I've used PrimoPDF and BullZipPDF successfully.

The resulting PDF looks just like the original but is "flattened" of any and all elaborate features (layers, transparency, ...) making them easier to render. I've found that most PDFs downloaded from Archive.org fail to render properly on my Kindle Keyboard but when I use the trick above the new version displays properly.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
What does "widely crushed" mean? I think it is probably because the DX was produced when an earlier version of Adobe Acrobat was out, and now there are features that are not supported by the DX software.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
moerv

Thanks for the fast replies and thank you for your ideas!

By widely crushed I meant that while formatting the PDF in ebup for example, all the text moved and some lines crossed each other, making it impossible to read properly.

I also thought that maybe the problem lies in the different pdf versions. One trick that I discovered now was convert the pdf in word and then copy it back in PDF. This works good, although some graphics were then flipped around.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by moerv View Post
Hi!

I didn't use calibre at all, just send normal PDFs to my Kindle DX via USB. I send over 60, but only 5 or so would open. My kindle DX displays me the same message:

"this pdf cannot be opened dut to embedded features not yet supported by kindle"

Then I tried calibre with enabling/disabling some pdf plugins, but they still didn't open. Transforming the PDFs is not an option since the format is widely crushed after that.

Has anyone a solution how to read the pdfs?

Thank you very much!
Maybe you could read those pdfs with kindlepdfviewer installed thereon or optimized with k2pdfopt beforehand (e.g. in bitmap mode).

I can check it out for you if you can send me a link to problematic book.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Some related issues solved:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=100555
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=115859

Last edited by markom; 07-13-2014 at 10:43 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
moerv

thanks for the offer markom, highly appreciated!

I already found an easy way: just print the pdf and use "Gaaiho PDF" as printer. My kindle is now able to read them all

Tags
kindle dx, pdf, read