Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
$15 Platform Jackets As-Is + Discount (with Other Items)

For those who just bought a PRS-950 and are wondering what to do for a case: You could always buy a discounted marbled red leather platform jacket for $24.99.

But what if you're even cheaper than that and crave a less conspicuous color that isn't plain old black? Then have a look at the M-Edge As-Is Section.

Notice that all of the hard-to-find colors are there: Smooth brown, brown with saddle, blue, jade green, etc. -- and all for $15. You could even buy two, and perhaps pick up a sleeve for $15 in addition to the other cases -- something you could use with other devices as well as your 950.

If you're picking up an M-Edge case or three, then you'll probably need the e-Luminator light that fits in the M-Edge's slot.

Your total is now about $65, which means you can apply this coupon (which isn't posted anywhere because I guessed its existence based on M-Edge's recent mother's day coupon): MEDGEDAD11, which will take $10 off your order and bring you to $55. If you live in the States, you can choose free shipping as well.

So, to review: You've gotten two different cases for your 950 -- one in a subdued color, the other a tad more flashy -- as well as, say, a denim sleeve in pebbled leather to use with your other readers, and a light that's tailored for your new cases. The total is $55 with no tax or shipping -- which is exactly how much you'd have paid for one flimsy Sony official case with light if it were even available (which it isn't).

If you're worried about the "as-is" designation, then buy a pristine platform jacket for $24.99, a light and a pouch and then use the coupon. I recommend pebbled leather for the as-is pouch, as the imperfections will look better than they would with smoother versions.

Enjoy.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-24-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I can't find any 950 cases, they are all for the Daily-900. Or am I blind?
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
One of the comments from the first link to the platform jacket states that it fits the 950:
Quote:
Fits the Sony PRS-950 Too!
By James V. Roberts on May 10, 2011

I bought this cover because it fits the Sony PRS-950 perfectly! The leather is beautiful and very well constructed. For all those in search for a quality case for their Daily Edition Reader I highly recommend this one!
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
They sure are cheap and look like good value.

Think I'd be a bit worried about the strap placement though, from what I hear most Kindle 2. gen covers has a tendency to cover the power button.

Almost bought one as a throwaway but the postage was more than the actual cover
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Leyor: I was about to make my patented martian invader face when I noticed why your postage would be rather expensive. Oh, hell. Oh, well.

Poppaea and Leyor: This excellent post by x43x should answer everyone's questions about the fit of the Platform case. Notice the bevy of pics of a fetching 950 wearing it.

With the number of controls on the 950, I think it would be fairly impossible for a Kindle case not to cover certain of the top buttons. That said, you can simply lift the top straps out of the way if, for example, you wish to turn off Wi-Fi.

BTW: It isn't just that post which raves about the fit of the Platform series for the 950. The same coveted snugness has been mentioned by Mobileread members on various threads and on Amazon as well. I actually glanced at reviews for other M-Edge cases, hoping that, for example, the Executive for the K2 or the Nook provided an equally good fit so as to have a cheap book-styled cover as well. No such luck, and I'm disinclined to spend even $15 on an unsubstantiated hunch.

Another case that's said to fit the 950 really well is the Sienna Nook case, which is inexpensive, brown and made of leather -- but the finish isn't nearly as nice as the M-Edge.

Edit: This extremely useful post compares the fit and and craftsmanship of three different cases not originally intended for the 950. In the poster's view, the Sienna comes out ahead.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-24-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
I have this uncontrollable urge to accessorize my ebook readers. I'd get a cover for each day of the week if I didn't stop myself

The Platform case looks good because it's dirt cheap and turns into a stand, means you can use it indoors when you want to cook your dinner and read a book at the same time Their other covers seems a bit generic, but I love that the platform has a pretty unique usefullness.

Yes, it's hard not to cover buttons on the PRS-950, but for me atleast, the only button I don't want covered is the power one, so always careful about that particular one.

Thanks for the good links, sometimes I wish I lived in the states so I wouldn't have to worry about postage, could buy 3 of these covers then, one for monday, tuesday and thursday
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote