Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
Epoch615
Junior Member
Epoch615 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2017
Device: Kindle Voyage
Adding Backlight

Now I've been wanting to find some way of backlighting my DX since I do 99% of my reading at night in the dark. This means I very rarely use my DX since I believed back lighting was impossible, partly due to both a lack of anyone else back lighting theirs, and being told it was flat out impossible.

Anyway, while I was looking on Ebay to buy a new screen for my DX, again, since it somehow got a small crack in it. When I did the search it came to my attention that the iPad and the DX had the same size screen. I saw that a backlight replacement was available no digitizer , no lcd, from what I can tell it's an thin sheet with led bars on the edges. Going on from this I decided to see if I could find small enough LEDs to do the same, I originally discounted the whole idea because I couldn't find any before, but this time I found a supplier selling super tiny 0402 LEDs.

Now with the iPad backlight I probably wont be able to close the DX case proper, but I'd rather it be fatter than just sitting on a shelf. However, with the individual LEDs I should easily fit them. Then all I'd need is a diffuser. Now I'm just getting started in electronics, I'm fairly adept at SMD soldering, but I'm not sure where I'd make the connection with the iPad sheet, and if I have to use the individual LEDs I'd certainly need help to figure out how to power them and keep them from exploding.

Now I don't get paid again till the 1st and then I'd have to wait the however long it would take for the parts to arrive, but I definitely want to give it a shot. So for now give me your thoughts, is this a viable idea, will I just be destroying my DX, has anyone heard about someone doing this (since I haven't)? Feedback is appreciated
Epoch615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 52,386
Karma: 47516399
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
You cannot have a back light with eInk as the light won't shine through. So this iPad back light won't work. eInk needs a front light. Even if you could coble a front light for your DX, it won't work properly. The software won't know about the light and you won't be able to turn it off or change the brightness. To be honest, it's not worth it. Given the time, effort, and cost, you'd be better off buying a Kindle Oasis 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
pdurrant's Avatar
 
Posts: 54,803
Karma: 206036238
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Norfolk, England
Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch615 View Post
So for now give me your thoughts, is this a viable idea, will I just be destroying my DX, has anyone heard about someone doing this (since I haven't)? Feedback is appreciated
This is not a viable idea. The backlight sheet from an ipad is intended to shine a bright light through an LCD panel. An E-Ink screen is opaque. The front light on an E-Ink screen has very clever optical properties to reflect an even low light onto the E-Ink screen, which then reflects off the screen, back through the frontlight layer and makes the screen light up.

Even getting electrical connections to the LEDs is going to be hard - LED driver electronics has to cope with the way the LED resistance changes as the LED warms up - just connecting to the +ve voltage available in a kindle is unlikely to lead to a happy result. Let alone give you an adjustable light.

Seriously - save up for a new eReader with a front light. Don't waste your money on this project which has no chance of success. UNLESS you're doing it for the fun of tinkering, not to get a working lit ereader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 52,386
Karma: 47516399
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I have this light from Ikea on my bed's headboard. It's a very good reading light.



http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/l...-art-00315651/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #5
vrf
Groupie
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 192
Karma: 1300000
Join Date: Dec 2004
Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
With some effort, a guy could rig up a sheet of acrylic and embed some LEDs along a couple edges. The Kindle software wouldn't know about it, but you could have an external on/off switch for the LEDs. You'd basically be creating one of those old Light Wedge book lights.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/ec...84fc26d1fd.jpg
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 52,386
Karma: 47516399
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
With some effort, a guy could rig up a sheet of acrylic and embed some LEDs along a couple edges. The Kindle software wouldn't know about it, but you could have an external on/off switch for the LEDs. You'd basically be creating one of those old Light Wedge book lights.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/ec...84fc26d1fd.jpg
Sony created a light wedge cover for the 505. What a disaster that was. And it was heavy.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
vrf
Groupie
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 192
Karma: 1300000
Join Date: Dec 2004
Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony created a light wedge cover for the 505. What a disaster that was. And it was heavy.

Well, I didn't say it was a wonderful option, just a possible one...

But other than a clip-on book light, there's not much in the after-market mod scene that would work very well on a non front-lit Kindle. Well, unless you have some pretty expensive fabrication equipment.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
JSWolf's Avatar
 
Posts: 52,386
Karma: 47516399
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Roslindale, Massachusetts
Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I like my solution best and it's going to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 320
Karma: 1800000
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Reno, NV
Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
The Boox N96ML is a 9.7" ebook reader that has a lighted screen and is currently listed on Amazon with a 15% discount coupon option for a total price of circa $280. Not Amazon files compatible though. PDFs and Epubs along with some other file formats supported.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...BVKST2SY&psc=1
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #10
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 320
Karma: 1800000
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Reno, NV
Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
With some effort, a guy could rig up a sheet of acrylic and embed some LEDs along a couple edges. The Kindle software wouldn't know about it, but you could have an external on/off switch for the LEDs. You'd basically be creating one of those old Light Wedge book lights.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/06/ec...84fc26d1fd.jpg
Several versions of the light wedge on Amazon but I note that there are complaints about the plastic scratching too easily on them.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Dr. Drib's Avatar
 
Posts: 41,382
Karma: 29182977
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Borja (Lima), Peru
Device: Kindle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch615 View Post
Now I've been wanting to find some way of backlighting my DX since I do 99% of my reading at night in the dark. This means I very rarely use my DX since I believed back lighting was impossible, partly due to both a lack of anyone else back lighting theirs, and being told it was flat out impossible.

Anyway, while I was looking on Ebay to buy a new screen for my DX, again, since it somehow got a small crack in it. When I did the search it came to my attention that the iPad and the DX had the same size screen. I saw that a backlight replacement was available no digitizer , no lcd, from what I can tell it's an thin sheet with led bars on the edges. Going on from this I decided to see if I could find small enough LEDs to do the same, I originally discounted the whole idea because I couldn't find any before, but this time I found a supplier selling super tiny 0402 LEDs.

Now with the iPad backlight I probably wont be able to close the DX case proper, but I'd rather it be fatter than just sitting on a shelf. However, with the individual LEDs I should easily fit them. Then all I'd need is a diffuser. Now I'm just getting started in electronics, I'm fairly adept at SMD soldering, but I'm not sure where I'd make the connection with the iPad sheet, and if I have to use the individual LEDs I'd certainly need help to figure out how to power them and keep them from exploding.

Now I don't get paid again till the 1st and then I'd have to wait the however long it would take for the parts to arrive, but I definitely want to give it a shot. So for now give me your thoughts, is this a viable idea, will I just be destroying my DX, has anyone heard about someone doing this (since I haven't)? Feedback is appreciated

I feel you're trying to 'torture' an outdated piece of hardware into something it was never meant to handle.

As a suggestion, why not invest some money in an Onyx N[fill in number here] for one of their front-lit devices.

Take a day trip over to the Onyx Forum, located here, for additional information:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=220
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #12
montalex
Evangelist
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 479
Karma: 1246260
Join Date: Mar 2010
Device: KindleDX,Kindle 2i, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I'm sure most of you have seen these lights, but I like mine very much.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Last edited by montalex; 01-11-2018 at 07:52 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:57 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
rcentros's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,401
Karma: 16352088
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: DFW, TX
Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I'm sure most of you have seen these lights, but I like mine very much.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
That's a pretty good looking light. I've never seen them before. Which is better the Kandle or Kandle II?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 1,013
Karma: 4510668
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Oaxaca, Mexico
Device: K3, Kindle Basic
Before Paperwhite, I had a Petzl headlamp. Made for cavers, hikers, mountain climbers, it worked great for reading the Kindle in low light and for reading menus in restaurants where each table has one candle so you can't see the prices.

I was with a friend in a nice restaurant one night and pulled out my headlamp. His wife started whispering, "Take that off."
"There isn't enough light to read the menu."
"You look ridiculous take it off."
"No."
"If you were my husband I would let you wear that."
I whipped out a 3.5 index card and started writing.
"What are you writing?"
I held it up and pretended to read, "Reason #187 for why I'm happy I'm not married."

My last Petzl headlamp had three very bright LCD and cost about $20 here in Mexico. Cheaper in the U.S.
https://www.amazon.com/Petzl-TIKKINA...Bheadlamp&th=1

Last edited by patrickt; 01-12-2018 at 05:01 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #15
Epoch615
Junior Member
Epoch615 began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 6
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jun 2017
Device: Kindle Voyage
Wow really down on modding here aren't we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I feel you're trying to 'torture' an outdated piece of hardware into something it was never meant to handle.

As a suggestion, why not invest some money in an Onyx N[fill in number here] for one of their front-lit devices.

Take a day trip over to the Onyx Forum, located here, for additional information:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=220
I don't think the solution to not being able to use a 400 dollar device how I want is to buy an 800 dollar device. I already have a Voyage for my normal books, I want to be able to read the comics and manga that are on my DX. Simple as that. Plus 800 bucks is more than half of my monthly pay, so no way. If I buy any new readers it's going to be an Oasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is not a viable idea. The backlight sheet from an ipad is intended to shine a bright light through an LCD panel. An E-Ink screen is opaque. The front light on an E-Ink screen has very clever optical properties to reflect an even low light onto the E-Ink screen, which then reflects off the screen, back through the frontlight layer and makes the screen light up.

Even getting electrical connections to the LEDs is going to be hard - LED driver electronics has to cope with the way the LED resistance changes as the LED warms up - just connecting to the +ve voltage available in a kindle is unlikely to lead to a happy result. Let alone give you an adjustable light.

Seriously - save up for a new eReader with a front light. Don't waste your money on this project which has no chance of success. UNLESS you're doing it for the fun of tinkering, not to get a working lit ereader.
I'm not looking for something adjustable, just on. From what I can tell I should be able to embed the LEDs inside the front panel all around the screen. With the proper resistors I should be able to tune the light just how I want. The only real issue is where to draw the power from. I don't want to pull directly from the battery as that would require building some kind of PCB to regulate the power draw. These are 1mmx5umx2um SMD LEDs. As long as I can find a 3v source I should be able to wire the LEDs around the screen in series, slap a switch in front, and I'd be good to go. Heck I could even slap in a micro-ceramic trim pot to be able to adjust brightness.

And yeah, this is basically for the fun of it. Since it really hasn't been used in over a year I want to make this thing usable the way I want it. As I said, my big issue here is finding a power rail to draw from.
Epoch615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glo Uneven Backlight Bedz Kobo Reader 5 08-08-2013 12:31 AM
Turn down the backlight? shernandez Barnes & Noble NOOK 7 02-24-2011 12:33 AM
PRS-300 Does this have a Backlight???? k0077 Sony Reader 4 08-14-2010 06:34 AM
Backlight alternatives Bob Russell Sony Reader 151 01-30-2009 10:47 AM
So there's no backlight at all? gamoses Which one should I buy? 6 01-22-2007 02:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.