Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-02-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
irishbrit
irishbrit began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
cannot save in Calibre

All of a sudden I'm unable to save preferences or metadata in Calibre - I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if it happened after last update.
Does anyone know how I can fix it? TIA
irishbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Are you getting any sort of error message when this happens? If so, we need to see it, and know what you are actually doing. For example, for the saving metadata, are you using the single book edit or doing it in the list. What did you change? Did you do a metadata download?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
WHat error do you get?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:37 AM   #4
irishbrit

I don't get any error at all - Just nothing happens - The only way I can save metadata is by copy and paste, then separately save the book cover - This with individually or with download metadata and cover
Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
WHat do you mean by save? Save to disk?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #6
irishbrit

I open edit metadata individually, I change author & title around, click download metadata, then it checks for the book cover, everything is now in the correct place, if I click okay here it does not transfer it to the edit page from the search page, so I have to copy and paste so it will be stored in calibre
Old 05-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Check the download metadata configuration, that's the gears icon next to the D/L Metadata button. I seem to remember that if columns aren't checked in the main panel (on the right) and for individual sources then columns won't get copied to the edit page.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #8
irishbrit

okay, thank you so much, seems that was definitely the problem - are you able to help me with another problem? In the edit metadata again, if I have to make a change to title or author, when i click okay it reverts to the previous setting.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbrit View Post
okay, thank you so much, seems that was definitely the problem - are you able to help me with another problem? In the edit metadata again, if I have to make a change to title or author, when i click okay it reverts to the previous setting.
Updating metadata won't change the values within the book format(s) files in the library or on your Kobo, it only updates the calibre database. But after you exit metadata edit the new values should be shown in the book list and in the book details (right sidebar).

There are three ways to update the metadata within the book format files stored in the library - Embed Metadata (most formats), Polish Books (ePub and AZW3(KF8) only) and the Modify optional plugin (ePub only). You'll probably need to add Embed and Polish to a toolbar or menu.

I'm not sure about updating the Kobo metadata, I have no doubt it can be done, but I have no idea how you do it. If no one chimes in here, start a fresh thread the Devices sub-forum and include 'Kobo' in the thread title.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-04-2018 at 08:47 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm not sure about updating the Kobo metadata, I have no doubt it can be done, but I have no idea how you do it. If no one chimes in here, start a fresh thread the Devices sub-forum and include 'Kobo' in the thread title.
A couple of ways to handle updating metadata on a Kobo ereader. You can set the metadata management to Automatic under Preferences=>Import/export=>Sending books to devices and enable "Update metadata on the device" under the "Metadata, on device & advanced" tab for the KoboTouch and KoboTouchExtended drivers. An alternate is to use davidfor's KoboUtilities plugin and it's "Update metadata in device library" option to update the metadata for selected books.

The only real gotcha here is that you have to transfer the books to the Kobo, safely eject it and allow it to import the books to create the database entries. Then you can reconnect the Kobo to your computer so the database has the book entries to be updated with the metadata.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #11
irishbrit

all done,everything is in order now - thank you BR & David, really appreciate your help