Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2016, 09:50 AM   #61
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Isn't the voyage's screen closer to the glass and not as sunken in as the paperwhite? I'm guessing the oasis would have the same screen as the voyage.

Both the Voyage and the Oasis have glass screens according to Amazon product pages.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #62
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My only advice would be to buy the warranty.
Another $70 extra.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #63
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

would've considered had it had a 8" screen with a greater PPI, other wise no, seems like Amazon is falling behind others when it comes to their devices, plus I'm a lefty and those page turn buttons would not be comfortable for me
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #64
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
would've considered had it had a 8" screen with a greater PPI, other wise no, seems like Amazon is falling behind others when it comes to their devices, plus I'm a lefty and those page turn buttons would not be comfortable for me
It flips over.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The price doesn't suprise me. $200 for the Kindle, just like the Voyage and another $80 for the leather cover. Amazon's other leather covers are $60 right? and this one has a battery in it.

The really disappointing thing is that you can't get it without the cover. Don't try and tell me its ergonomic and lightweight and perfect for one handed reading and super thin and then force me to buy a case with it which undoes everything you just told me is great about it.
I think you've not seen the cover properly. The top of the cover is full width and the bottom of the cover is only about 1/2 the width. It goes as far as the bump on the underside of the Oasis. So you still are holding it using the Oasis bezel.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #66
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
That UK price seems very high? Equivalent to approximately €340, $380 CA$490. I know currencies fluctuate and there may be local taxes to add, but still, less than difference between the various Voyage prices, but at a far more expensive price. Crazy.
Yes, the UK price seems very ouch ... €290 currently works out at around £230. Since the prices never change after release, it's possible that Amazon are edging their bets with the vote on Brexit in a few months and are anticipating some wild currency fluctuations
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #67
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I assume the idea is that you'd have it in the case when not using it, but take it out of the case when using it, so the weight of the cover wouldn't be an issue when reading. I like a sleeve to protect my e-reader in my purse, but I don't like to keep it in or attached to anything when I'm reading.

And I like it being off-center because my natural inclination is to old my e-reader with one hand on the side and it's awkward when the screen goes all the way to the side.

I think the way this is set up would work well for me but it's too expensive IMO.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #68
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
they now think readers will pay a small fortune for an ereader?
Targeting the right niches can be very profitable if you get all the details right.

Heck, the entire Kindle platform is kind of a niche if you think about it. The Oasis is a niche within a niche.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #69
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Another $70 extra.
£50 in the UK. But that way you get three years protection, not just one. For such an expensive device with a glass screen it's piece of mind money.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #70
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew0020 View Post
Unless I am missing something the unit weighs 4.6oz for wifi and add 3.8 oz for the cover. That's heavier than the Voyage which is 6.3 oz.
But lighter than a Voyage with cover.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #71
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If Amazon threw in a case of tuna with each purchase, I'd consider getting it
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #72
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post

I am really interested in it, but I will still wait for the first hands on reviews. I am a voracious reader that still misses the ergo design of the first kindle. The wedge shape, but it was much heavier. I imagine reading on it would be like a dream holding it.
I don't have any wishes otherwise as my Voyage works perfect as it is as far as display and software on it. Anything they might add would be updates.

I have a feeling I'll get one.

I love that in a way they were going back to what the initial idea was. When the kindle was designed for the reader and for the hand of the reader. Then they all got as flat and thin as tablets and phones. Its like we come full circle, just with much better specs.

My hands and wrists are asking for the Oasis.

I agree with your comments about ergonomics and Amazon makes a big deal about the design and ergonomics.....and then forces you to buy a cover that takes all that away?

The Oasis has a battery and a charging port...why force the cover on us? As someone quoted above, it may just be the way Amazon thinks you should be using the Oasis.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #73
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Has anyone seen a mention of what kind of leather the cover is? Plastic or animal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Real leather:

Quote:
Premium leather cover

New—The removable charging cover is made of high-quality leather and comes in your choice of black, merlot, or walnut. The cover opens like a book and fits closely around the bezel, waking Kindle Oasis when opened and putting it to sleep when closed. Twelve magnets form a secure attachment between device and cover, while still easy to detach when the lightest possible weight is desired. "
Unfortunately terms ike "leather" and "premium leather" and "high-quality leather" are often used to describe PU leather nowadays.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
Not every new release is going to push the technology forward. Some are just to provide the consumers with new options in other areas.

We're tech fans. Not all Kindle users are, and other things matter to them...like look & feel.
Apple is another good example. The iPhone SE is a step backwards from the iPhone 6s.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:57 AM   #75
gmercator
Enthusiast
gmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: PW2, PW3, Fire 7, Fire HD8
Quick Start Guide pdf:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...e+-+global.pdf

Kindle Oasis User's Guide pdf: (the document name says WHISKEY !!!!)

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...de+-+en_US.pdf

Last edited by gmercator; 04-13-2016 at 09:59 AM.
gmercator is offline   Reply With Quote