Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Look at you, all sense-making and stuff!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #47
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Look at you, all sense-making and stuff!

D'you think that will ever catch on out here on the internet?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #48
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm confused. In the past, I've bought ebooks from Amazon, downloaded them to my Kindle for PC, then used Alf's tools and Calibre to help me to convert these into lrf for my old Sony. Does this DRM change mean that Alf won't work anymore? If this is the case, I'll stop buying ebooks from Amazon, (there are cheaper places to get them ).
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #49
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
LOL! Wow, let me go download this new release right away! NOT!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #50
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm confused. In the past, I've bought ebooks from Amazon, downloaded them to my Kindle for PC, then used Alf's tools and Calibre to help me to convert these into lrf for my old Sony. Does this DRM change mean that Alf won't work anymore? If this is the case, I'll stop buying ebooks from Amazon, (there are cheaper places to get them ).
No. Other way around. Amazon is the one that will STILL work.

And Alf still works with ADE/ADEPT too, except for books that use this new scheme. There may not be very many of those in the near future, as readers and programs and apps all need to be updated to support this new DRM.

Read: Fast Adoption => Unusable older readers/software => Hassle² => (Angry customers)³

The shit will hit the fan.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-24-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #51
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Read: Fast Adoption => Unusable older readers/software => Hassle² => (Angry customers)³
I hope you're right.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #52
Akshayy
Enthusiast
Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ADE2, ADE3, Sony Xperia tablet Z, Nexus 7C, iPad 2x2, iPad 3
Here's the thing! DRM has been updated because piracy has been rampant.

If you buy an new book and open it in ADE 3.0 for the first time then it will never open in your older apps or older ADE 2.0

All old books will open in ADE 3. And if you open in device/app or ade 2 and open in ade 3 it will work.

So wait for your favorite app to use latest drm and switch to ADE 3.0 and more exciting features are coming for ADE 3.0!

I know you guys hate DRM, but don't blame ADOBE for drm, its the publishers and writers that seek the DRM.

It would be very helpful if a Mod could add this info to first post.

Lets assume every bookstore migrates to newer DRM quickly.
Then still your older books can be read by older software.
And your older reader may stop reading newer books if the BOOKSTORE decides to enforce new DRM.
If bookstore decides not to enforce, then older reader can read newer books.

If you have any questions just PM me.

Thanks,
Akshay

Last edited by Akshayy; 01-25-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Akshayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #53
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshayy View Post

If you buy an new book and open it in ADE 3.0 for the first time then it will never open in your older apps or older ADE 2.0

... snip ...

So wait for your favorite app to use latest drm and switch to ADE 3.0 and more exciting features are coming for ADE 3.0!
Meh... Or I could just buy non-Adobe DRM'd books at lower cost from Amazon and NOT jump thru more BPH hoops.

If I have to dedicate an old reader for Library books, that's fine.

Either way, they lose my money, and Amazon gains my business.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #54
Akshayy
Enthusiast
Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharphamster View Post
Meh... Or I could just buy non-Adobe DRM'd books at lower cost from Amazon and NOT jump thru more BPH hoops.
If I have to dedicate an old reader for Library books, that's fine.
Either way, they lose my money, and Amazon gains my business.
Haha, am not aware of Amazon DRM...? Have not used it.
Do they encrypt the books they sell from their bookstore ?
Can you decrypt it ?

If you can decrypt and distribute it, am sure the publishers will be unhappy about it and they will seek an update to amazon drm. May be Amazon won't update ? Lets see how this goes.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #55
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSFReader View Post
Yes, the plugin-makers explicitely refuse to have it crack the library-specific parts of the DRM.
Such as?

I'd be unhappy not being able to read a library book (that I wouldn't "share" with anyone") once at my own convenience outside the loan period.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #56
Akshayy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Such as?

I'd be unhappy not being able to read a library book (that I wouldn't "share" with anyone") once at my own convenience outside the loan period.
The library won't be happy with you reading the book outside the loan period!
This instead gives me an idea. Time used based loan instead of fixed period loan.
The library could allow you to read for 200 hrs over many years. Instead of fixed 1 week loan.. interesting idea.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #57
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@Akshayy do you work for ADE?

Do you know how ADE3 works?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #58
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
@ Akshayy are you a new employee of the company that so recently managed to allow the dump of 150 million email addresses and passwords? Doubt you'll find much love here.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #59
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
worry not tlaine, hashing and salting are for suckers. I understand that all sensitive customer info is now stored in a secure ePub document at Adobe HQ
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:53 PM   #60
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

All old books will open in ADE 3. And if you open in device/app or ade 2 and open in ade 3 it will work.

A source for your information would be helpful, especially as...

Quote:
Haha, am not aware of Amazon DRM...? Have not used it.
Do they encrypt the books they sell from their bookstore ?
Can you decrypt it ?
… you don't seem to know much about ebook DRM schemes in general.

This leads me to doubt that you know what you're talking about when it comes to ADE DRM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote