Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
andrea t
andrea t began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook Extended Protection

For those that ordered the Nook, did you get the "extra protection" for $69 for 2 years? Worth it or a waste? Thanks for your feedback!
andrea t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
espo56
espo56
espo56 began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook
I purchased the Nook and added the protection. It's well worth it since it covers accidental damage if you drop it.
espo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea t View Post
For those that ordered the Nook, did you get the "extra protection" for $69 for 2 years? Worth it or a waste? Thanks for your feedback!
I think most of those extra protection plans are more or less a scam, since there usually is a year warrenty period on most items (I am not sure what the nook is).

Anyway, at one third the cost of the device I did not get it...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
No I didn't. I did order a cover for it though, to protect it. I've bought three ebook devices so far and never had a problem with any of my devices. Getting a cover and using it really helps against drops and getting banged around in a knapsack.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Those accidental damage things are usually not worth it. What the large print giveth, the fine print taketh away. Usually it's something like: Covers damage due to falls (except when it falls and actually gets damaged). Covers damage due to spills (warranty is void if liquid is found inside the unit). It can be very infuriating.
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
I actually just cancelled my protection plan.
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I bought a warranty like this a few years ago from Best Buy when purchasing a SanDisk mp3 player and it turned out to be well worth the money. I broke the device and they had me send it in and then sent me back a Best Buy gift card with the original purchase price of the player on it. It turned out to be a very good deal for me.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
or look at it this way....

if you buy it you won't need it, if you don't you will. isn't that the way it works with everything else?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I've opted not to get the the extended warranty. And from what I've read online, it is now too late to change my mind anyway. If I do decide to get one, I'll purchase a plan from Square Trade, which is more affordable. I've read good things about ST, and their price seems much fairer.

As for the Best Buy extended plan that someone mentioned, I had my own experience with that. My digital camera died and they tried very hard NOT to honor the warranty and blame it on user error. I had to literally cause a scene in the store that lasted a good 45 mins (an Oscar-winning performance if I do say so myself) in order to get them to replace the camera and I'm convinced they did it just to get rid of me. I'll never buy one of those BB warranties again.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copynik View Post
As for the Best Buy extended plan that someone mentioned, I had my own experience with that. My digital camera died and they tried very hard NOT to honor the warranty and blame it on user error. I had to literally cause a scene in the store that lasted a good 45 mins (an Oscar-winning performance if I do say so myself) in order to get them to replace the camera and I'm convinced they did it just to get rid of me. I'll never buy one of those BB warranties again.
I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with their warranty. When I used mine I dealt entirely with the folks at their service center via their 800 number. They were gracious and did not seem too concerned over whether the damage was user error or not.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
gilgomez
gilgomez began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I preordered my Nook along with the service warranty simply because I learned from my son's Ipods screen issues (and my long history of PDA's), that screens sometimes crap out or the units get dropped and the screens get damaged. Since I am an advid reader I know this device will be coming along for the daily ride in my cluttered purse and yes, I will add a cover but probably from a competitor of B&N.

Regarding the scene at Best Buy, again I refer to my son's Iphones (yes, the teenager killed a couple of Ipods) and I am glad I made him save to purchase his own and he went ahead and bought the service warranty. He got lucky twice in that when the screens were not repairable, Best Buy replaced his ipod with a newer nicer model. He also had an issue with a DSLR camera (also purchased at BB) and then I made the scene at the front desk when they started giving him the runaround. Boy was I glad I made the show and demanded to see the manager because they were a pain and very rude to the kid (my son was mortified but grateful mom stepped in!) but they honored his service warranty and fixxed a quirky issue with his expensive camera. Again, his savings and he bought the warranty for which he was greatly relieved.

Just a different experience here and although I hate dishing out that extra cash, I prefer the peace of mind.

Happy Thanksgiving!
gilgomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
RE: Best Buy

I bought my wife a GPS unit (& warranty) there. When it went bad they gave her a lot of grief and would not honor it. I did get them to give me credit to buy another one, but consider thier warranty to be a very Bad Buy.

Other than that I have no problem buying from them. Just NOT their warranty.

B&N's warranty? Anyone out there with such experiance?
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:35 AM   #13
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I think most of those extra protection plans are more or less a scam, since there usually is a year warrenty period on most items (I am not sure what the nook is).

Anyway, at one third the cost of the device I did not get it...
A regular one year warranty would not cover accidental damage. If you drop it and it doesn't work, you are out of luck.

For me, having accident protection would be great. Since I have almost no feeling in my fingers, it is real easy to drop things. I also have seizures that could cause the device to be damaged.

One thought though. Many credit cards carry insurance that extends your warranty.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
scveteran
Groupie
scveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheesescveteran can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgomez View Post
I preordered my Nook along with the service warranty simply because I learned from my son's Ipods screen issues (and my long history of PDA's), that screens sometimes crap out or the units get dropped and the screens get damaged. Since I am an advid reader I know this device will be coming along for the daily ride in my cluttered purse and yes, I will add a cover but probably from a competitor of B&N.

Regarding the scene at Best Buy, again I refer to my son's Iphones (yes, the teenager killed a couple of Ipods) and I am glad I made him save to purchase his own and he went ahead and bought the service warranty. He got lucky twice in that when the screens were not repairable, Best Buy replaced his ipod with a newer nicer model. He also had an issue with a DSLR camera (also purchased at BB) and then I made the scene at the front desk when they started giving him the runaround. Boy was I glad I made the show and demanded to see the manager because they were a pain and very rude to the kid (my son was mortified but grateful mom stepped in!) but they honored his service warranty and fixxed a quirky issue with his expensive camera. Again, his savings and he bought the warranty for which he was greatly relieved.

Just a different experience here and although I hate dishing out that extra cash, I prefer the peace of mind.

Happy Thanksgiving!

We paid extra for the insurance my daughter has on her phone with Verizon. After all my family has really bad luck, and she is a teenager. In the last 22 months, they have replaced the phone 7 times. This is far more than I would have thought that a phone company would do. So I am happy with that. They at least honor their warranties.
scveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #15
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I haven't bought a nook but I did check with Square Trade when I was researching. The will cover it for 3 years w/ accidental damage for around $45 if you have a 20% off code which are almost always available. Right now there is a 40% off code floating around if you google for it.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote