Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
How Green is My iPad - NYT Article

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...04opchart.html

Appologies if this is a repost, but I did a quick search and couldn't find it.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Interesting. One should also consider that for each owner the payback needs to be reached for each device owned. I read 60 ebooks on my Gen3 before it died, but now have to reset the counter to pay back the ecological cost of my Elonex.

Hmm.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
I have read nearly 80 books in the 18 months of owning my Sony, so I think I have made an impact already.

I wonder what would happen to those figures if you factor in resell for books and readers.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's one of the reasons why I very rarely sell my devices, I give them to family members who I know will look after them.

One good thing about Apple gear is that they have a pretty decent recycling program (take your old laptop into an Apple store and they will properly recycle it). Also their products have gradually been becoming greener - http://www.apple.com/environment/

A LOT of energy went into making my Kindles, Macbook Pro, Windows PC, iPhone and iPad. Even optimists say that we only have another 80 years of oil, and these products can't even be built without oil or consumed and abandoned in such a reckless fashion without oil to make the plastic components and fuel the trucks shipping this stuff at a very low cost.

Hopefully one day soon they will invent some better battery technologies, because they are pretty nasty as far as pollutants go.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It’s also important to keep in mind that we’re focusing on the e-reader aspect of these devices, not any other functions they may offer.
This is exactly why their assessment against the iPad is essentially inaccurate: You must take into account all of the areas for which a multi-use device such as an iPad replaces other devices, such as a camera and photographs, CDs, DVDs, playback equipment, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention the fact that comparing one iPad to one book is ludicrous.

When done properly, the environmental assessment is a no-brainer: Multi-use electronic devices always win. Their method should only be used against dedicated reading devices like the Kindle.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-08-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
. Even optimists say that we only have another 80 years of oil, .
:r ofl:

Listen to political scaremonger hacks much?

Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post

Listen to political scaremonger hacks much?

Make up your own mind:

http://odac-info.org/welcome

The majority of analysts believe that peak oil production has either already happened or will happen before 2030, with a lot of weight behind us reaching the peak in the next five to ten years. See the chart on p50 of:

http://www.feasta.org/documents/risk...ping_Point.pdf

With oil production declining after that, and population and the global economy still expanding, it doesn't really matter when it actually runs out. Things will start to bite sooner than you think.

Graham
Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Make up your own mind:

http://odac-info.org/welcome

The majority of analysts believe that peak oil production has either already happened or will happen before 2030, with a lot of weight behind us reaching the peak in the next five to ten years. See the chart on p50 of:

http://www.feasta.org/documents/risk...ping_Point.pdf

With oil production declining after that, and population and the global economy still expanding, it doesn't really matter when it actually runs out. Things will start to bite sooner than you think.

Graham

Two advocacy sites with all the unbiased legitimacy of CRU.
Neither of which mentions that only the iceberg tip of petrolium ever existed outside of shale (Which is hardly tapped) and that it has taken the world since 1853 to use what has been used.

Nor did I see any mention that petrolium is formed naturally under the ocean bed and is still being formed in quantity.

Looks to have a lot of the same funding as the Anthropomorphic Global Warming crowd, with the same intellectual standards.

I think I will pass.
Actually, I will pass it on to more people who will enjoy lampooning it.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Come no, no need for political debates in an e-book news forum. Take it to the Lounge if you have to discuss it here.

There's enough animosity over e-book formats, screen types etc. without getting people arguing politics on here!

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-08-2010 at 04:18 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
Graham
Wizard

Feel free, Phogg. As I said, make up your own mind.

But perhaps consider that the cost of oil is dependent on the cost to process it, and the cost rises as less accessible sources are tapped.

Graham
Old 04-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Come no, no need for political debates in an e-book news forum. Take it too the Lounge if you have to discuss it here.
Good point, sorry.

Graham
Old 04-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Anyone else take that headline to mean 'green' as in 'money'?

As in how much the NYTimes can wring out of the iPad by running article-ad hybrids on it every day and pushing its new iPad subscriptions?
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
wigm
Enthusiast
wigm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K3, Nook, TouchPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Anyone else take that headline to mean 'green' as in 'money'?

As in how much the NYTimes can wring out of the iPad by running article-ad hybrids on it every day and pushing its new iPad subscriptions?

That I can agree with!
wigm is offline   Reply With Quote