Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
millan
Enthusiast
millan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Anyone performance tested the calibre 32bit vs 64 bit on Windows 7 32 bit & 64 bit?

I have had a W7 32 bit and was using Calibre bit 32 and Calibre portable,

I now have windows 7 64 bit 4gb ram and installed 64 bit version.

I have used it for few weeks until last week I had a bluescreen (which may not relate to Calibre at all although I had a crush while I was using 64 bit and had to restart pc couple of times)

I now use calibre portable.

I was wondering if any of you had a performance test on using calibre 32bit vs 64 bit vs calibre portable?

any speed differences, any performance differences you have noticed please?
millan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, 64-bit allows you to use up to 4 GB of RAM, which can be very useful during conversions. IN day-to-day use you don't need that much though.

Some of which require vast amounts of RAM and/or up to 24 hours of processing, if the markup is particularly mangled.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2014, 03:52 AM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
I always wondered when huge amount of RAM come in really handy. Most epubs are much smaller then 1MiB anyway, unless of course you have a lot of pictures included. The biggest epub (non-pdf) I have to date is 65.7 MiB and it converts rather quickly on my old trusted x64 4GiB system using calibre 32 bits.

Perhaps when you attempt to convert some PDF (heaven forbid!) into an epub being really adventurous ... Not really recommended

Besides Kovid told me that he did not noticed any speed improvements when I asked him more or less this same question about a year ago. So I decided to just stick with the 32 bits version.

Just my 2cts
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:09 AM   #4
millan
Enthusiast
millan began at the beginning.

Thank you eschwartz and DrChiper.
I have installed the 64bit version of the Calibre today.
I also have the portable version, in case.
I hope the 64 bit ones perform better in the future, if they meant to
all the best to you both
millan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There have been two similar problems reported recently that appear to be memory related. chaley mentions proposing some changes to Kovid. I don't know if they were accepted. There's no mention of them in this weeks release notes, but given there nature that's probably not a bad thing

Crash when adding a custom (built) column

Deleting custom columns without opening Calibre

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I always wondered when huge amount of RAM come in really handy. Most epubs are much smaller then 1MiB anyway, unless of course you have a lot of pictures included. The biggest epub (non-pdf) I have to date is 65.7 MiB and it converts rather quickly on my old trusted x64 4GiB system using calibre 32 bits.

Perhaps when you attempt to convert some PDF (heaven forbid!) into an epub being really adventurous ... Not really recommended

Besides Kovid told me that he did not noticed any speed improvements when I asked him more or less this same question about a year ago. So I decided to just stick with the 32 bits version.

Just my 2cts
It's not really about the size, and anyway IIRC pictures do not need to be converted, just pointed to in the final result.

Some wild ebooks (PDF is particularly exciting) require a lot of processing just for calibre to figure out how to "translate" it. The problem comes from the particular markup used.

True enough that 64-bit is not a magical speed improver... if nothing you do uses more RAM than the max 32-bit cap, then 64-bit won't help. It won't hurt either, but most things won't really be helped.

If my computer was a 64-bit system I would use the 64-bit version Just In Case
(Of course, on linux it will automatically choose the 64-bit version for you.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
There have been two similar problems reported recently that appear to be memory related. chaley mentions proposing some changes to Kovid. I don't know if they were accepted. There's no mention of them in this weeks release notes, but given their nature that's probably not a bad thing

Crash when adding a custom (built) column

Deleting custom columns without opening Calibre

BR
I'm pretty confident that the changes in 2.9 relating to -- Performance improvement for large libraries that using custom columns built with templates have overcome the issues raised in those threads - rather dramatically as it so happens. to chaley & Kovid.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote