Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 04:19 AM   #1
ParaplegicRacer
ParaplegicRacer began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre (Linux), Moon+ Reader (Android)
Writing in emacs?

Is anyone writing in emacs and want to share their setup? Major modes, minor modes, handy keyboard mappings, export and conversion helpers?

I'm a Linux guy and gedit is just not cutting the mustard for me anymore. Atom has a whole slew of great and useful plugins, but it's a slow-starting beast. The cli toolchain is sucking too much of my time and energy (what was that pandoc flag?)

Tips and commented dotfile examples appreciated.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
ParaplegicRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Try Org mode in Emacs. It is good for outlines - headings versus paragraphs, where headings can be multi-level as needed. It is also instantly, without any configuring, good at navigating the outlines: When you open up a .org file, it displays the collapsed headings, go to the one you want to continue, expand it with Tab, and continue. Google and Youtube are full of intros.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Nano: Quick configuration edits. It's on most embedded stuff too.
vi: For people that have frenimies that are emacs users. vim is more common now.
KATE: Multiple tabs per text file and persistent sessions for groups of text. Notepad++ is similar for Windows. May need Oxygen icons and some libraries etc for all of the GUI to work.
And for Novels and any other large projects, not pure text, LibreOffice Writer. Styles are your friend. Edit in odt format but SaveAs to export .doc, .docx, RTF, XML etc. Also not bad PDF and HTML export. Use Calibre (.docx to epub, then epub to others) for ebooks rather than the Writer 5.x plugin or 6.x built in epub export. Or if you are an emacs addict, then use Sigil to make epubs.

I use KATE and LO Writer in side by side windows. KATE has all the notes & resources in tabs, a session per book series/project. Four years ago I was doing that with Notepad++ and MSWord 2002. I've not used the serious UNIX text editors since the late 1980s, instead I've used Nano for last 12+ years at least on Linux.
I used Star Office, Open Office etc on Windows and Linux till it became LibreOffice, at the same time as MS Word. Completely abandoned Windows a couple of months after win7 sales ended for main laptop, though I'd been using Linux on servers since 1999, and dual boot since 2004 on laptops. Started with MS Xenix and Cromemco Cromix in mid 1980s in parallel with DOS. Used ordinary Windows from 1991 and NT from 1994.

Oh and I use Regex in KATE and LO Writer. An optional feature of Find & Replace.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-30-2019 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Regex
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I like Jstar (JOE's WordStar variant).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I like wordgrinder but I've never written anything of any great length in it.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I like wordgrinder but I've never written anything of any great length in it.
I also like wordgrinder, and it has the full potential for writing novels, but it falls short with scientific articles (footnotes, endnotes, formulas, graphs...).

Big graphical word processors like LibreOffice make it too difficult to configure the composing interface to your liking. They are stuck at the publishing interface, but the composing interface should be configurable, when you spend most time at composing, staring at the computer trying to get the job done. Formatting for publication should be a different procedure, a post-processing.

Wordgrinder and Emacs run at terminal, which you can configure to spare the eyes. Emacs Org mode has the ability to output perfect scientific formatting too (which takes some learning of course). Both programs are pretty good at saving and converting different text formats.

Edit: A good intro for Emacs org mode is perhaps this speech by its original creator, who at first needed a tool for notes for scientific articles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTwQvgfgMM

Last edited by mobama; 01-01-2020 at 05:37 AM. Reason: added link to video
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaplegicRacer View Post
Is anyone writing in emacs and want to share their setup? Major modes, minor modes, handy keyboard mappings, export and conversion helpers?
Just tried it today. With hardly any effort (maybe extremely lucky) I was able to get Fountain up and running and it's pretty impressive. I've attached a couple screenshots. The Fountain Menu comes up automatically when you use the fountain extension. Something in-between a text editor and a screenplay application. (I don't normally use italics, I was just trying that feature.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emacs0.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	176155   Click image for larger version

Name:	emacs.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	176156  
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote