Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
I've still got some stickers from Bookcrossing but that's only because I was too lazy to enter them on the computer when I left them places. I think the B-Xng idea is excellent. Recycling a book is such a waste when any way of passing it on might help someone.
You can print off a stack of "pre-numbered" BookCrossing stickers. Then the person who *finds* the book will enter the book details later on.

And ... if there's anyone who doesn't want to bother with BC but wants to find a good home for unwanted books, you can send to me. I'm an active member of an online book swapping group at BookObsessed. In addition to swapping books among ourselves, we support our library book sales and other ways of passing books along to other readers.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
Have you people heard of BookCrossing? It's a website _devoted_ to set books free and learning what happens to them afterwards.
It sounds like exactly the thing some of you who try to get rid of books should be doing, and it's a lot of fun!
Looks like an interesting idea... (sort of like Wheresgeorge.com). But entering my books into another catalog and labeling them seems like alot of work if I am just going to give them away.

I think next neighboorhod yard sale we have I am just going to lay them out on a table with a FREE sign and hope they go to good homes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
And ... if there's anyone who doesn't want to bother with BC but wants to find a good home for unwanted books, you can send to me. I'm an active member of an online book swapping group at BookObsessed. In addition to swapping books among ourselves, we support our library book sales and other ways of passing books along to other readers.
I'd love to send you all my books. But, I think that would cost quite a bit in postage.

BOb
Old 07-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #19
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I'm not sure what country you're in - but in the US you can generally find a home for the on a freecycle yahoo list - or craigslist.com
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #20
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'd love to send you all my books. But, I think that would cost quite a bit in postage.
I can pick them up in October! I'm planning on being at a conference in Orlando the first week in October and could meet up with you if you wanted to dispose of some books. I'd be sure to pass the books along to readers who haven't yet made the move to eBooks.
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can pick them up in October! I'm planning on being at a conference in Orlando the first week in October and could meet up with you if you wanted to dispose of some books. I'd be sure to pass the books along to readers who haven't yet made the move to eBooks.
Sounds good. Are you driving?

BOb
Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #22
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Too much to do! I am working right now at a summer job which is more hours than my school year job, taking a summer course, and getting ready to move. No time for 'Bookcrossing' right now, though it's a lovely idea. I do like the thought of just leaving them lying around in the city for people to find though, with a note saying 'enjoy!'

I think I will get rid of that series. The earlier books are not as much fun given how far along things are for the main characters at this point. If I do want to go back to the beginning, I know they are there in e-book...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:08 AM   #23
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
What about donating to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or some other charity? If you have classics/appropriate fiction, your local public high school will, I'm sure, love to get these. Here in AZ, we have an organization called, "Volunteer NonProfit Service Association" which collects books and resells them at a huge book sale every February. All the proceeds go to charity. Or, for romance novels, http://www.share-the-love.org/

What about your local crisis shelter, or homeless shelter? I'm sure there are many good quality organizations that would appreciate a donation of our old books.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #24
Deneb
Groupie
Deneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it is

Device: Cybook
How about leaving some books in hospitals? I happen to visit one or two lately and they had a shelf on each floors with books just left there...I don't think they would mind a few more. But I like the idea of setting a book free too :-)
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrunk View Post
I'm not sure what country you're in - but in the US you can generally find a home for the on a freecycle yahoo list - or craigslist.com
freecycle works in france too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #26
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I'm in the same situation... need to unclutter. What I've done is the following:
  • Went through books, separating out anything I could get online (classics, etc) things I owned as an eBook, most of my read genre fiction, and books that I didn't think I'd need in the next few years - this became my "Long Term Storage" books. These are going to a storage center.
  • Then separated out the books I KNOW I'd want access to and planned to read fairly soon. These became my "On Shelf" books (I'm limiting myself to one big book shelf and one small bookshelf in the new place).
  • The rest - books I wanted access to if I needed them but didn't think I'd need them immediately became "Short Term Storage" books. These are going to go in a closet, boxed up.

I'm not thrilled about this, but the reduction in clutter is VERY attractive.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #27
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sounds good. Are you driving?
Indeed! Since I lived in Orlando for 8 years, we make sure to drive in whenever conferences are scheduled there. That allows me to use my evenings visiting friends instead of schmoozing with other conference attendees.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #28
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I'm in the same situation... need to unclutter. What I've done is the following:
  • Went through books, separating out anything I could get online (classics, etc) things I owned as an eBook, most of my read genre fiction, and books that I didn't think I'd need in the next few years - this became my "Long Term Storage" books. These are going to a storage center.
  • Then separated out the books I KNOW I'd want access to and planned to read fairly soon. These became my "On Shelf" books (I'm limiting myself to one big book shelf and one small bookshelf in the new place).
  • The rest - books I wanted access to if I needed them but didn't think I'd need them immediately became "Short Term Storage" books. These are going to go in a closet, boxed up.

You're keeping them all?

Wow.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 AM   #29
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

i'm doing a similar process, but all the classics etc. i can get online, or things i am pretty sure i won't read again (a lot of books from my studies which for some reason i *still* have. but really, will i ever read Foucault's "discipline and punish" again ? unlikely.) i give away. it's hard but it's so nice to get some space back !

i think i might not mind your "short term storage" solution, but i don't have any closets.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #30
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Toss a couple in your car each day and when you stop at stores or restaurants or such, leave 'em behind on the seat or bench or counter. Free them to roam the world!
Be free little book! Be free!
I love it! I've so gotta do that!
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote