Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Keyboard letter fading? (k3)

My graphite k3 is about 3 weeks old and the letter T is partly rubbed off. Is this a common problem?

Bummer, because I so plan to sell it when the k4 comes out.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
My graphite k3 is about 3 weeks old and the letter T is partly rubbed off. Is this a common problem?

Bummer, because I so plan to sell it when the k4 comes out.
I have the same problem with the letter "s" it came like that. I'm worried as time goes on that the letters will rub off and I won't know which letter is which.

Any ideas on how to prevent further rubbing off?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
No way to prevent it.

My graphite k3 (3g+wifi) had the same issue. Call Amazon and they'll send you a replacement. Got mine the next day.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Are you all totally sure that the letters are really rubbing off? Have you tried carefully cleaning the letters say with a damp cotton bud to make sure it isn't dirt hiding the letter underneath?

I only ask because I've read a few threads where it turned out that the letters were not "rubbing off" at all and were in fact just a little dirty.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Are you all totally sure that the letters are really rubbing off? Have you tried carefully cleaning the letters say with a damp cotton bud to make sure it isn't dirt hiding the letter underneath?

I only ask because I've read a few threads where it turned out that the letters were not "rubbing off" at all and were in fact just a little dirty.
Really? eww lol

I haven't seen those, but I have read many threads where it's been reported and discussed and really was a problem.

Amazon confirmed it as a known issue last week, and said it was a batch that didn't get the proper sealant.

So after making sure it isn't grime, I'd definitely return it.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I scrubbed it like cinderella. I don't think it's grime. I don't know if i want to return it for this.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
I scrubbed it like cinderella. I don't think it's grime. I don't know if i want to return it for this.
If it helps your decision at all, and considering you plan on selling the K3 when you replace it with the next generation, Amazon will ship you a new one quickly without your having to send this one back immediately. It's a defect, and you're already seeing some wear; it's only likely to get worse.

The replacement process is fairly painless.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Really? eww lol

I haven't seen those, but I have read many threads where it's been reported and discussed and really was a problem.

Amazon confirmed it as a known issue last week, and said it was a batch that didn't get the proper sealant.

So after making sure it isn't grime, I'd definitely return it.

Where did Amazon confirm it was a known issue? Last thread I read, everyone on it was stating the Kindle CS hadn't a clue it was happening.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The value will drop if you don't replace it and when you got to sell it, you will get less for it. Do you really want that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Where did Amazon confirm it was a known issue? Last thread I read, everyone on it was stating the Kindle CS hadn't a clue it was happening.
The report is over in the Amazon forum, I first saw it about a week or two ago.

There are likely to be other CS who still don't confirm it, like there are with the other things that CS has confirmed. That lack of internal communication has been a pattern since the rollout.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
jdspencer
jdspencer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I have several keys that show this. What guarantee is there that the replacement won't have the same problem?
jdspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdspencer View Post
I have several keys that show this. What guarantee is there that the replacement won't have the same problem?
There is no guarantee - you could possibly be unlucky twice but I would hope your replacement would be from a different and better batch. Mine doesn't have this issue at all and I suspect most people don't else we'd have many more complaints comng through.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #13
jdspencer
jdspencer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm just going to wait until the letters are completely gone before I call for a replacement. I'm assuming I can wait through the first year of the warranty.

I wonder if they can tell which batch of K3s have this problem? Maybe through the serial number?

Last edited by jdspencer; 10-09-2010 at 03:12 PM.
jdspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
have the same problem with letter s
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
when my DX came the U key was partly rubbed off

its qwerty, so honestly, if you don't know it by now you should probably shoot yourself
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote