Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #31
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Did you run epubcheck? There is an epubcheck plugin for Sigil to make this easy.

I just tried both an epub2 and an epub3 (our new user's guide) in Sigil with EpubJSReader plugin and they both worked flawlessly. There is a TOC icon in the upper left corner, that will produce a sidebar with the TOC properly nested. As I move my mouse over, the TOC entries they get highlighted. If I click on one, the book is moved to that place properly.

So it is working for both epub2 (toc.ncx) and epub3 (nav).

That is why you need to check it with epubcheck (unless that is identical to the idpf validator link) to detect things like missing nav properties on manifest items, etc.

So there is something specific about that epub that is creating the problem as well formed epub2 and epub3 seem to work fine in EPUBJS. I also tried a html toc and those links all worked as well.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-07-2021 at 10:34 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or could it be some Anti Virus or Defender thing stopping local links from being opened?

If you want to you could post that epub3 someplace private and pm "KevinH" here on Mobileread with a link, I will try it on my machine to see if it is machine specific issue or a epub specific issue.
Advert
Old 06-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #33
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Something even easier to try is to grab the very latest Sigil User Guide epub from here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil...guide/releases

And load it into Sigil and launch the EpubJSReader plugin. Then hit the toc icon in the upper left hand corner of the reader and try navigating to one of the chapters via that TOC.

If that works, then we know the problem you are seeing is epub specific, If it fails, then the problem is machine specific (AV or other security tool or ...)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #34
AndrewRyzhkin
AndrewRyzhkin began at the beginning.

Device: Lithium (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Something even easier to try is to grab the very latest Sigil User Guide epub from here:
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/sigil...guide/releases
Created a new simple epub with minimal editing. In the Sigil help, navigation works fine, so it's not about the antivirus.
newone.epub
AndrewRyzhkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
EpubJSReader seems to be butchering the valid hrefs in the nav when the nav is in the "Text" folder alongside the xhtml files. If I move it into the OEBPS folder (which is where the Sigil Guide's NAV is located), then the updated links ("Text/Section0001.xhtml") seem to work fine.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-07-2021 at 07:26 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2021, 07:17 PM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I can't believe that EpubJS would work only when the nav is not in the same folder as the other xhtml files! That is horrible. I will see if anyone has reported it on the epubjs github site. Perhaps there is a fix there.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't do much testing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's assuming the nav is in the same location as the opf and/or ncx.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #38
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Here are three related bug reports ...

https://github.com/futurepress/epub.js/issues/1084

https://github.com/futurepress/epub.js/issues/1107

https://github.com/futurepress/epub.js/issues/469

It seems to confuse href from nav with an opf relative href. Since the ncx and the opf generally sit together this works but if the nav is in a Text folder it will not.

The 1084 issue has a suggested fix that was never incorporated. I will look into adding it.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #39
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I found the bug location in the TocController code in reader.js. I will try to fix it there and if so post an updated EpubJSReader plugin.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:52 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I remember there was something in the upstream Readium Reader code that we tweaked to get things working, too. Should we consider making forks of the relevant repositories so we can document the changes? Or at least keep patches? I think the change to Readium took place before our plugin repository was created. I can't seem to track down our early testing conversation where we found something wrong RE url encoding.

EDIT: whoops! Never mind. I see the included patch for Readium, now. Nothing to see here.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #41
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I have forked the downstream git repos for epubjs and epubjsreader, bibi, and readium pieces on my local machine. Perhaps we should officially fork all of those under Sigil-Ebook as well just in case they ever get taken down for any reason.

I will post the epubjsreader (toc_controller.js) reader.js patch to the repo if I can get it working at all.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #42
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I have updated EpubJSReader to version v0.3.0 that fixes the broken TOC behaviour on my machine with the newone.epub testcase provided.

The fix was a simplification of the approach suggested in Issue 1084 (see earlier link to that issue).
A patch file is now part of the repository.

Please see the first post in this thread for links to the latest release.

@AndrewRyzhkin
Please confirm this fixes the issue with your original epub as well when you get a chance.
Thanks for your bug report and test case!

Last edited by KevinH; 06-08-2021 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #43
AndrewRyzhkin
AndrewRyzhkin began at the beginning.

Device: Lithium (Android)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Please confirm this fixes the issue
Yes, this problem is no longer in EpubJSReader! In all my books, the table of contents now works perfectly. Thank you so much for your work!
AndrewRyzhkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thanks for confirming the fix. I was able to simplify the bug fix patch by using an existing internal EPUBJS.core.resolveUrl(base, path) routine so I posted a v0.3.1 version.

This new v0.3.1 version has changed nothing from a user functionality standpoint since the v0.3.0 you tested. So feel free to skip this update as the version you have now is just fine.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:32 PM   #45
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Maybe it would be possible for you, Kevin and Diap, to solve the following bug with EpubJSReader as you made with the TOC bug (or maybe wouldn't ).

Look at this picture with EpubJSReader, with the ereader in a window. The image has a width of 100% and you should see something like that:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	218
Size:	618.7 KB
ID:	187627

Now look at the same image but with the ereader at a full window:

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	200
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	187628

As you can see, the ereader doesn't respect the declared width of the image when its width is 100% and when someone is reading in a full window.

Now see the same case but with a image with a width of 50%:

Name:	Image3.png
Views:	182
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	187629 Click image for larger version

Name:	Image4.png
Views:	212
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	187630

With a image of 50%, EpubJSReader respects the size of the image (both, in a half or a full window). Below I attach the respective epub. Could this behaviour be fixed?

Thanks for your consideration.

EDIT: The issue doesn't appear with the Readium and Bibi plugins.
Attached Files
File Type: epub TestCase.epub (78.7 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by RbnJrg; 06-11-2021 at 01:35 PM.
RbnJrg is online now   Reply With Quote