Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
huotg01
Enthusiast
huotg01 began at the beginning.

Device: Moon Reader, Xiaomi Note 10
CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY Environment variable

I did setup the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment variable but Calibre GUI doesn't seem to take the variable into account.

Other that setting the variable, is there something else to do ?

Tks,

GH
huotg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It works fine for me! What OS are you running on, and how are you setting the variable.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
huotg01
Enthusiast

Windows 7

In fact, what is the best way to know for sure where are the configuration files actually used by Calibre ? My target configuration is on a networked drive and the one that seems to be used used is local to the server under [user]/AppData/roaming/calibre

GH
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by huotg01 View Post
... what is the best way to know for sure where are the configuration files actually used by Calibre ?
Hit the Preferences->Miscellaneous>Open calibre configuration directory button

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Windows 7

In fact, what is the best way to know for sure where are the configuration files actually used by Calibre ? My target configuration is on a networked drive and the one that seems to be used used is local to the server under [user]/AppData/roaming/calibre

GH
The location you give is the default, and what Calibre seems to revert to if it cannot find the location specified by the environment variable.

Calibre files on a network drive are not officially supported, although in many cases they can work OK - particularly if mapped to a drive letter in Windows. I always hold my configuration locally albeit in a different location to the default (I actually use a folder under DropBox so I get it backed up).

Having said that I am surprised it does not work if you have the network location mapped to a drive letter. I would expect trying to use a UNC path to be more problematical.
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Using Win7: I have many different configurations and use .bat files to choose which one to use when I start calibre. Examples:
Code:
set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=D:\CBH_Data\calibre.git\config_test_small
calibre-debug -g
and
Code:
set CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=D:\CBH_Data\calibre.git\config_test_temp
calibre-debug -g
I doubt that UNC paths will work.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
huotg01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Hit the Preferences->Miscellaneous>Open calibre configuration directory button

BR
Thanks. This confirms that Calibre is not using my environment variable.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
What do you actually have the environment variable set to?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
huotg01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
What do you actually have the environment variable set to?
Variable name: CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY
Variable value: Z:\Media\CalibreLibrary\CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY

It is the same variable as on my Windows 8 configuration.

Tks

GH
Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Code:
Z:\Media\CalibreLibrary\CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY
Does this path actually exist? Including the exact same case?

IIRC Calibre (at run time)will not create the whole path, only the containing older

ALSO it needs FULL rights to \Media

Z:\Media\CalibreLibrary <this is not the Library folder?? AFAIK nothing else can be inside
Z:\Media\CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY would be OK, it is alongside
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What is the path of directory that calibre opens when you click the button ?

Quote:
Variable name: CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY
Variable value: Z:\Media\CalibreLibrary\CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY
In my case CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY is set to "E\ebooks\calibreConfig"

IIRC I copied the the default configuration directory, "C:\Users\BetterRed\Appdata\Roaming\calibre", to "E\ebooks\" and renamed it to "calibreConfig", I also renamed "...\Roaming\calibre" to "...\Roaming\calibre.orig".

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe a dumb question. Where are you setting this environment variable?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Not a dumb question an excellent question.

...frustrated rant deleted.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
huotg01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Please look on this page:
https://kb.wisc.edu/cae/page.php?id=24500

A more universal way is to do it from "Computer" using Windows Explorer if you are on Windows 8.

GH

Last edited by huotg01; 11-12-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
huotg01
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Code:
Z:\Media\CalibreLibrary\CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY
Does this path actually exist? Including the exact same case?
Yes

Quote:
Z:\Media\[B]CalibreLibrary <this is not the Library folder?? AFAIK nothing else can be inside
You are probably right but so far it doesn't cause any problem. That said, it is not correct and I will make it more "kasher".

Tks

GH