Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
This is what I came up with.
Can you post versions without the liberated bit in the logos please?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Was it that obvious? Christmas wish fulfilled...

BTW, nice signature. Colourful.
Since most ePub we'll be reading will be on non-color eink screens, how about grayscale?

And thank you very much!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #33
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why not an ePub logo for DRM free ePub that doesn't push the fact in your face and one for ePub with DRM. Neither will say DRM free or not. All that will happen is that they will be different and that's how you will know.
I am somewhat skeptical about Adobe's adoption of "ePUB with DRM" logo. DRM is unpleasant subject, and usually presented as a fact of life, something not worth mentioning.

It is up to DRM-free content to emphasize the difference.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #34
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Well I really like the art work!

My opinion is we should refrain from using any words like "ePUB".

For several reasons
1) This is an international logo
2) Logos get re sized and if this logo gets reduced to 16x16 or 8x8 the text will be illegible and the logo will not be recognized.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #35
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay here is what I was thinking of (Warning These are really ugly but the concpet is there, I hope people can see past my artistic skill)

The logo are 100x100 and 50x50

The idea behind one logo are as follow

Book+liberty torch:
Liberated ePUB (without DRM)

Book+globe (Format to dominate the world):
One eBook format to be accepted and used across the contents

Book + unity logo:
It's the Mayan Unity sign

Essentially one eBook format that unites: publishers + eReading devices + countries around the world.
Attached Images

Last edited by =X=; 04-30-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #36
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well, I have the "final" versions of these logos. Note I'm not suggesting they are the best possible, they're just a suggested modification of the logos already available at http://threepress.org/epub/logos. I did versions with and without shadow. For the moment they are in http://djelibeibi.unex.es/files/freepub.htm, but I don't know how long I'll keep them there, is there enough interest to upload them to the wiki or something?

Personally, I'm not sure the DRM tag is a good idea, it seems to say the opposite from what we want to say.

PS. The SVG versions have a wrong page size (I couldn't get it right with Inkscape) and need the Steelfish font.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #37
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
I really like the 2nd Icon the "e" in the globe silhouette.

I wonder if you could remove the "PUB" and "Liberated" and put the e globe around a book silhouette.

Like this. With your artistic skills I think you can make it look really nice.

=X=
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #38
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well, I have the "final" versions of these logos. Note I'm not suggesting they are the best possible, they're just a suggested modification of the logos already available at http://threepress.org/epub/logos. I did versions with and without shadow. For the moment they are in http://djelibeibi.unex.es/files/freepub.htm, but I don't know how long I'll keep them there, is there enough interest to upload them to the wiki or something?
Can you show some small scale Icons. I'd be interested in seeing how they would look if the are srunk to 50pts or smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Personally, I'm not sure the DRM tag is a good idea, it seems to say the opposite from what we want to say.
Yes I agree, that's part of the reason why I have been calling int "liberated" ePUB.

=X=
Old 04-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #39
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Can you show some small scale Icons. I'd be interested in seeing how they would look if the are srunk to 50pts or smaller.
Yes, reload the page. At the bottom there are 100px and 50px versions. At 50px they look terrible, but the idea (or my idea ) was not to use them as small icons for files, but as a logo to put in web pages, covers, books, etc. At 100px I think they are fine.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Yes I agree, that's part of the reason why I have been calling int "liberated" ePUB.

=X=
Liberated implies that it was previously not liberated which implies that DRM was removed or it was in prison somehow. That is not the image that should be projected either. DRM free is better than liberated IMHO. unencrypted would be another choice although longer.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #41
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Book+globe (Format to dominate the world):
One eBook format to be accepted and used across the contents
One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them...
Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #42
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I like the idea of wanting a universal logo but you are making it much too complex; it is a simple message that you want to get across. The logo should be (1) universally recognizable even by someone who cannot read an alphabetic language and (2) can be made small enough to be placed next to a book in a list such as the book list you get at Fictionwise.

Try something simple, like a stylized e with a minus sign to indicate DRM-free and the same stylized e with a plus sign to indicate DRM. As much as I would like all books to be available in DRM-free ePub, that is not realistic over the short-term, so what we should want is simply an icon that tells us whether the particular book is DRM-free or DRM-laden.

I also think certain things are unnecessary. For example, it seems to me to be unnecessary to spell out that the format is ePub. It is also unnecessary to use words to indicate DRM-free.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #43
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Maybe the stylized e-with-red-crescent logo with wings for no DRM, or attached to a lock (or an anchor) for ePub with DRM.

I don't like "plus" for "with DRM" and "minus" for "without DRM;" it implies that DRM-free books are lacking something, rather than that they are more accessible.

The symbol needs to be:
  • Scalable to 25x25 pixels or so, preferably 16x16,
  • Not dependent on color,
  • Functional for people who don't speak/read English (a letter or two is fine; a word is not),
  • Elegant enough to appeal to people (ebook providers, ranging from publishing houses to bloggers who offer their archives as ebooks) who don't give a damn about accurate file labels or the DRM issues.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #44
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
just a quick attempt...

gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #45
Ankh
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
just a quick attempt...
Dangerously similar to the Internet Explorer icon.

Last edited by Ankh; 04-30-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: No need to quote images