Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
read-more-books
read-more-books began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Pocket size ebook reader for carrying around

Hello,

I'm looking for a small-ish (5-6") ebook reader to compliment my current one (Kobo Aura One). I like the Kobo, it has all the features I like but the size is just too big for me to carry it around.

I'm currently looking at Pocketbook Touch Lux 4 / HD3 models. Wondering if I should spend ~ $200 on the same thing I already have, minus the large screen.

I would also like to install Koreader on it, if possible.

I'm looking for an advice here. Is there a better alternative (cheaper or more compact device that has a 5" or 6" screen with a thing bezel) that I should buy instead.

Thanks.
read-more-books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by read-more-books View Post
I'm currently looking at Pocketbook Touch Lux 4 / HD3 models. Wondering if I should spend ~ $200 on the same thing I already have, minus the large screen.

I would also like to install Koreader on it, if possible.
Last time I looked there was no Koreader for PocketBook. I have installed Coolreader for friend of a friend and it looks like Coolreader for PocketBook has all the features a demanding user typically needs. Touch Lux 4 / HD3 are smaller than 8" Kobo, but I wouldn't consider them pocket-sized.

Quote:
I'm looking for an advice here. Is there a better alternative (cheaper or more compact device that has a 5" or 6" screen with a thing bezel) that I should buy instead.
To my knowledge there are no readers with e-ink screen smaller than 6" currently in production.

- for many years the king of the 5" category was PocketBook 360° and its newer variants. No longer available, anywhere (to my knowledge).

- Then there was Kobo mini that was available a little bit longer than PB360°. You might be able to get one from an ebay or Goodwill.

- Sony also used to make PRS-350. Again a long time ago, also try searching second-hand market.

- At one moment it was possible to buy a case for some popular Samsung phones or iPhone that had a 4" e-ink screen on the back for reading books.

Now, devices that aren't strictly readers but belong here:

- There was InkPhone from Onyx with 5" e-ink, non-front-lit, with Android and atrocious software. I own one and it sits unused (with a cracked glass). It had limited features, and the rubbery coating from the body peeled off after one summer (I suspect it was caused by a sunscreen I was using). But it was the most pocketable device I had after my beloved PB360 went into retirement. Oh ... and it didn't work as a phone in some parts of the world because it had IMEI that belonged to other manufacturers. Because of that it was discontinued immediately after it came out and the first reviews appeared.

- There is YotaPhone with AMOLED display on the front side and smaller, 5" e-ink on the back side. I have YotaPhone 2 and I am very happy with it (it is not my primary reader). It isn't such a good reader, but the physical size makes it a great device for reading on the go - when commuting, or waiting somewhere. This model is no longer available and YotaPhone 3 had certain features removed, for example "mirror mode" that would let you use e-ink screen instead of AMOLED for any Android app.

- There is Hisense phone with two displays - AMOLED and e-ink. I have never seen one or heard anything from a real owner. There are three models and the newest one is sold exclusively on obscure Chinese sites.

Last edited by kacir; 03-27-2019 at 09:14 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
mobama
Addict
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Last time I looked there was no Koreader for PocketBook.
There is Koreader for Pocketbook
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...etBook-devices

And it works, with some glitches.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
mobama
Addict
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Incidentally, I have inside pockets on my overcoat where Kobo Aura One would fit comfortably. If you want a less-than-6" screen reading device, then the smartphone that you likely already have is the handiest option.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Hello,

I'm looking for a small-ish (5-6") ebook reader to compliment my current one (Kobo Aura One). I like the Kobo, it has all the features I like but the size is just too big for me to carry it around.
The original 6" Kobo Aura is a very compact reader. I was at the ballet this weekend and was able to slip mine (with case) into the front pocket of my khaki pants (though I don't typically do that).

The Kobo Aura and Kobo Aura One should share all the same software features except for direct Overdrive access. Of course, the original Aura does not have waterproofing or color changing frontlight like the Aura One.

I haven't looked in a bit, but they used to regularly sell for around $50 on eBay.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2019, 12:31 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Hello,

Since you already have a Kobo, you might want to consider the Clara HD which lacks the waterproofing of the Aura One but otherwise has the same features with a 6" screen.

Check out NiLuJe's One-Click Install Packages for KOReader & Plato for installing alternatives to the Kobo renderers.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since you already have a Kobo, you might want to consider the Clara HD which lacks the waterproofing of the Aura One but otherwise has the same features with a 6" screen.
I haven't seen one in person, but is a Clara close in size to the original Aura?

The reason I recommended such an old device is because it is physically smaller than other 6" ereaders I've compared it to (my Nooks and a Paperwhite).

Online the dimensions of the Clara and the Aura are close, but I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Currently there are a few Kobo Minis on sale at eBay (if you want small, that's about as small as you're going to get). Usually shopgoodwill.com has Sony PRS-350s, usually they sell cheaply. There's a couple on eBay now, but not that cheap.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:25 AM   #9
sqdancer
Fanatic
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Kindle 4B Touch2 PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I haven't seen one in person, but is a Clara close in size to the original Aura?

The reason I recommended such an old device is because it is physically smaller than other 6" ereaders I've compared it to (my Nooks and a Paperwhite).

Online the dimensions of the Clara and the Aura are close, but I haven't seen a side-by-side comparison.
Yep, we have both in the household. The Clara is a wee bit narrower and a wee bit taller. Were you assuming the online numbers were incorrect?

(And the Sony T3 is narrower than either but also the tallest of the three.)
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:29 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle Voyage is another extremely compact device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
read-more-books
read-more-books began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks for the answers! I decided to go with the Pocketbook.

Some observations:
  • It costs as much as I paid for the KA1 but is a slight let down in terms of overall quality :/.KA1 has a sort of premium feel compared to it.
  • Software seems a bit flaky (internal memory got corrupted immediately after connecting it to the PC).
  • I couldn't get Calibre to recognize it properly (It recognizes it as the Inkpad 740 and there is a bug present when accessing the menu (object has no property "get_name" IIRC).
  • The screen is not as nice as on the Kobo (despite claiming to be the same).

I put KOreader on it and it works much better than the stock reader except that there are some issues present which I'm hoping to fix soon (wireless doesn't work for one: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/3458).
I would recommend against buying it but it's good enough for me I guess.

Another interesting thing, regarding the Kobo mini: I searched ebay today for some and there a rather strange looking listing appeared a few days ago, selling apparently brand new Kobo minis, in unbranded packaging from China: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Mini-E...d=272099214824. Ebay claims that the seller sold about 10 of these devices in the past three days. The seller account has been active since 2017 but it has only two ratings and after running a reverse image search I found a number of exact same listings (same image, text and everything): https://www.tineye.com/search/38413e...0111b34044577/ from ebay and similar sites.

Could this be a scam or are they some knockoff Chinese Kobos? For $20, I may just go for it.

Last edited by read-more-books; 04-07-2019 at 03:32 PM.
read-more-books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #12
Question Mark
Guru
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Could this be a scam or are they some knockoff Chinese Kobos? For $20, I may just go for it.
Doesn't ebay offer some sort of buyer protection guarantee? If the product doesn't arrive, just contact ebay. Just be aware, if it is shipping from China, it could take a very long time to reach you. A case in point, just received a case for a phone which was shipped within days of my purchase. It took almost 30 days to arrive. For much of that time, according to the tracking, it simply appeared to be sitting at an airport in China.

Speaking of phones, if you are ever looking for a small ereader again, you might want to try the Hisense A2 Pro. It has a dual screen: one is a 5.5" colour AMOLED screen, the other is a 5.2" eink screen. I picked mine up on Aliexpress for about $200 US.

So far am quite pleased with it. Just wish the eink screen had a frontlight. There is a newer model, the A6, which does, but it currently costs about double the price and Google Play does not work on it. Hopefully, the price will eventually come down and they will be able to get Google Play working on it.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote