Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
georgekoniotis
georgekoniotis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Kindle PW3 5.9.7/5.11.1.1

Hi there folks!

I've already tried searching for an answer to this but I haven't been able to find a definitive one, so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate post.

I've just purchased a Kindle Paperwhite 3, with firmware version 5.9.7. From what I understand, it's not possible to software mod it on this version, so I'll go for the serial port hardware mod.

My 2 questions are:
1) If I hardware mod the PW3 on this version and then update to 5.11.1.1, will it keep the mod?

2)If not, can I hardware mod the PW3 after updating it to 5.11.1.1? In other words, is it possible to hardware mod the PW3 on 5.11.1.1?
georgekoniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The software update process does not allow installing a lower firmware version.

Any version that matches your hardware can be installed over the serial port.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #3
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, if you follow all the steps (hotfix), your jail break survives an update, but after the update there are things you need to do. That is part of the instructions.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
knc1
99.44/100% On Holiday
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekoniotis View Post
Hi there folks!

I've already tried searching for an answer to this but I haven't been able to find a definitive one, so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate post.

I've just purchased a Kindle Paperwhite 3, with firmware version 5.9.7. From what I understand, it's not possible to software mod it on this version, so I'll go for the serial port hardware mod.

My 2 questions are:
1) If I hardware mod the PW3 on this version and then update to 5.11.1.1, will it keep the mod?

2)If not, can I hardware mod the PW3 after updating it to 5.11.1.1? In other words, is it possible to hardware mod the PW3 on 5.11.1.1?
If you followed the directions completely, it will survive.
If you skip installing the "jail break survival code" (included in the "hotfix" package), then it will not survive.
Our recommendation: follow the directions, do not ad-lib or skip.

Since ANY firmware version can be jailbroken over the serial port, save yourself a bunch of work by updating to the most recent version (or the version you intend to use) BEFORE you start the jailbreak process (the installation of one file and running one script).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
georgekoniotis
georgekoniotis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The software update process does not allow installing a lower firmware version.

Any version that matches your hardware can be installed over the serial port.
j.p.s. - For your first sentence, were you trying to say that you are not able to downgrade to a lower firmware version in general? Or after installing an update? Cause yeah obviously when you are updating you are not installing a lower firmware version, so..?

As for your second sentence, what do you mean matching my hardware? Don't all PW3 devices have the same hardware internally? Are there several versions of serial port jailbreaks for PW3 with different hardware?
I thought it was a single version of serial jb for PW1, another one version for PW2, another one for PW3, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you followed the directions completely, it will survive.
If you skip installing the "jail break survival code" (included in the "hotfix" package), then it will not survive.
Our recommendation: follow the directions, do not ad-lib or skip.

Since ANY firmware version can be jailbroken over the serial port, save yourself a bunch of work by updating to the most recent version (or the version you intend to use) BEFORE you start the jailbreak process (the installation of one file and running one script).
Hey knc1. What does ad-lip/skip mean?

So, where can I find the necessary files for jailbreaking my PW3 through serial port?

Sorry I haven't been able to answer any sooner guys. Really appreciate your quick replies!
georgekoniotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
j.p.s
Wizard

Quote:
j.p.s. - For your first sentence, were you trying to say that you are not able to downgrade to a lower firmware version in general? Or after installing an update? Cause yeah obviously when you are updating you are not installing a lower firmware version, so..?
To change the firmware on a kindle, you copy a file named update*.bin to the kindle, where * has model and version information. If the kindle likes it, the menu item "update your kindle" is no longer greyed out. If you don't like the term update, complain to amazon.

For years now, if the file version is less than the the running version, the menu item stays grey. So you tell me how you propose to install a lower version, whether you call it up, down, back, or forth.
Quote:
As for your second sentence, what do you mean matching my hardware? Don't all PW3 devices have the same hardware internally? Are there several versions of serial port jailbreaks for PW3 with different hardware?
I thought it was a single version of serial jb for PW1, another one version for PW2, another one for PW3, etc.
Believe it or not, some people try to install PWx files on PWy kindles.

You can install any version over the serial port you want, but the hardware must match. It happens that the different PW hardwares have different model numbers.

Quote:
Hey knc1. What does ad-lip/skip mean?

So, where can I find the necessary files for jailbreaking my PW3 through serial port?

Sorry I haven't been able to answer any sooner guys. Really appreciate your quick replies!
knc1 wrote do not ad-lib, which means do not make up something yourself on the fly if you expect help from here when it does not work.

Do not skip means do not leave out any steps.

The serial port jailbreak threads should point you to the files you need. I have never done a serial port JB, so I do not know the details.