Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
wladdy
Enthusiast
wladdy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / Kindle DX
Custom field 'Plain text, not shown in the tag browser', just like 'Title'

I want custom text fields to store plain text data exactly like the 'Title' built-in field.
For example, I'd like a field #original_title when the book is a translation, and another called #subtitle when the book has one.

'Text, column shown in the tag browser' is not quite what I want. Although I can hide the category in the browser, I am bothered by the scroll-down menu on the right of the field and by previous entries being suggested as I type a new one.

'Long text, like comments, not shown in the tag browser' is not what I want either. Not only will the text entered never be really that long, but also more importantly the size of the field and the formatting options unnecessarily clutter the 'Edit metadata' page.

Am I missing something?

If not, I would suggest that this simple option be implemented in future releases of Calibre, as 'Plain text, not shown in the tag browser' custom fields could have many legitimate uses.

Thanks in advance! Wladdy.
wladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275831
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
wladdy
Enthusiast
wladdy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / Kindle DX
Thank you for your reply Eschwartz. Unfortunately, the thread you've directed me to is way beyond my skill level. I wouldn't know the first thing to do with all these python files!

What I take away is that the feature that I need is not built-in and there is no simple-to-install user plug-in to add it. Since I don't have the time to learn Python right now and tinker my own thing, I will just continue using my current sub-optimal but working solution (ie: using 'Text, column shown in the tag browser').
wladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
More or less what I meant.

But you could also post to that thread and express your interest in seeing a solution.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.

Device: 8" Win10 Tablet w/Calibre64
@wladdy,

The end result of that thread is simply: There will be no new datatypes at all.

"Calibre Companion" and all of the other 3d party software that interacts with Calibre might crash and burn if there were a new datatype.

Kovid and Chaley agreed that instead of adding the new datatype that I proposed, the current datatype of "comments" (long-text not shown in the tag browser) will be enhanced to have a checkmark in Preferences > Add Your Own Columns that says "plain text", and another that says "show with label in book detail view".

As you know, comments do not currently appear in the book detail view with any labels.

The intention is to make the datatype of comments be both long-text and short-text depending on the user's checkmarks in the new checkboxes when a custom column of that datatype is first created.

So, "comments" will become "text not shown in the tag browser". The type of text (html or plain) will be up to the user.

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 07-19-2016 at 06:06 PM. Reason: fix typos
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've long wanted a "Plain text, not shown in the tag browser" column, I always have to remember - Ahh yess, create it as "Text, shown in the tag browser", then hide it.

In addition to the drop down and auto suggest issues, there's also the issue of comma's in the text as in "The Financial Crisis, the Response, and the Work Ahead" (the subtitle of Blinder's After the Music Stopped).

Maybe we should have a poll?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-19-2016 at 06:02 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
As you know, comments do not currently appear in the book detail view.
Eh, if you mean custom long-text (Comments-like) columns, and by book details you mean the right hand sidebar, then, if they're selected in Preferences->Look & Feel->Book Details the custom long text columns will appear immediately above regular Comments

And long text custom columns can appear in the book list, and be edited from there in the Comments Editor - not available for regular Comments, editing must be done in the Metadata Editor. I find it best to cloak custom long-text columns with an icon, otherwise it can look messy.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-19-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.DaltonST is the One.

I meant to say "comments do not appear with labels in the book details view". Comments appear with no labels. You cannot make them in Preferences. Not possible.

DaltonST
Old 07-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
I meant to say "comments do not appear with labels in the book details view". Comments appear with no labels. You cannot make them in Preferences. Not possible.

DaltonST
- when I create a custom long-text cell, I first paste a template from my global snippets library, the one I use most often has Notes at the top and a divider at the bottom (as do the others), I put the text I want between them.

BR
Old 07-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
chaley
CC Android & calibre dev
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Kovid and Chaley agreed that instead of adding the new datatype that I proposed, the current datatype of "comments" (long-text not shown in the tag browser) will be enhanced to have a checkmark in Preferences > Add Your Own Columns that says "plain text", and another that says "show with label in book detail view".
I didn't say that calibre "will be enhanced", at least by me. Instead I suggested that if someone were to do the enhancement then the best way would be to use new properties on the current comments type.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #11
DaltonST
Deviser

Chaley,

In https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275831 you strongly implied that you would do the enhancement since you killed off the new datatype because of Calibre Companion. I think your words were:

Quote:
If calibre can "do the right thing" with a new datatype then it can clearly do the same thing with a new property.
As Kovid says, "Custom Columns are Chaley's bailiwick".

DaltonST
Old 07-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #12
chaley
CC Android & calibre dev
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Chaley,

In https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=275831 you strongly implied that you would do the enhancement since you killed off the new datatype because of Calibre Companion. I think your words were:

As Kovid says, "Custom Columns are Chaley's bailiwick".

DaltonST
You heard something I didn't say. To be absolutely clear, I have no interest in implementing and maintaining something that I won't use.

I didn't kill off anything. I did point out problems and an alternate, simpler implementation that doesn't have those problems.

Submit your new-type changes to Kovid for inclusion. He is the sole arbiter on accepting changes to calibre. I may have an opinion, but I don't have a vote.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@DaltonST: I have absolutely no problem with accepting a change that adds the annotation to the "display" field in the column metadata for the comments column to make it display with a label in the book details panel and show up in the book list by default.

I dont think this needs a new datatype, there I agree with chaley.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
DaltonST
Deviser

Looking good so far. Currently working on allowing Bulk Edits of datatype=comments that are plain text. Next: adding labels in book detail view if 'show_labels' is true.

Having a new datatype=plaintext was so much cleaner based on my previous development and testing of that approach, but this approach works too. Just much more complicated since effectively have one 'real' datatype with two 'virtual' datatypes based on 'is_plain_text'. Works fine, too.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comments_revised_attributes.png
Views:	130
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	150358   Click image for larger version

Name:	comments_single_metadata_edit_all_combinations.png
Views:	114
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	150359  
Old 07-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
DaltonST
Deviser

An example of the new book detail view is attached.

DaltonST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comments_book_detail_view_example.png
Views:	116
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	150360  

Tags
custom field, plain-text