Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Theron
Theron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
10" ereader for note-taking and reading with micro SD

Are there any large ereaders with Wacom capability and micro SD storage? As a primary note-taking device, I'd like the assurance of a backup of any notes on the micro SD card in case something were to happen to the internal memory or device. Anything available or coming?
Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
maximus83
maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pc, android, e-ink
I don't own any of these so I can't recommend, but from recent posting activity around here, a few ideas to check out:

Likebook Mimas (has the SD slot you want): https://ereader.store/en/boyue-likeb...-mimas-43.html

Onyx Boox Note Pro (Probably a more refined device, but no SD card): https://www.boox.com/note-pro/

Just my personal take, YMMV: I'd at least research and consider trying an Ipad Air or Ipad Pro. Or a Samsung Android Galaxy tablet in the same price range. For example, you can get the new Air in the same price range as the Onyx ($499 for the 64GB Air, which matches the Onyx storage, is $100 cheaper, and has a faster processor and a better display). And while it won't have the SD card, the Air has capabilities, performance, and choice of apps that will blow away both of these e-ink tablets.
maximus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #3
Theron

Thank you so much. The Likebook Mimas looks great. I'll be doing some research on it. The tablet route could be an option, but I'm worried about long study sessions. 5-10 hours on an LCD screen could prove tiring to the eyes.
My son is quite studious, and despite my best efforts to corrupt him, insists on studying a few hours every day and up to a half day before exams. Being more responsible than I, I wouldn't be opposed to buying him an expensive device, but saving money is always a welcome gift.
Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 AM   #4
maximus83
maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maximus83 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pc, android, e-ink
Hope you find something he likes. If you zero in on one that you plan to get like the Mimas, it's worth posting in the Android form here in the threads about the Mimas and asking questions of the folks who currently own them.
maximus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:10 AM   #5
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
I used to be an Ipad user, and I find it really hurt my eyes. I do recommend you buy an eye-friendly ereader for your son since he spend a long period reading and studying. I am really impressed by the using with Kindle(without Wacom Stylus) and Boox note(with Wacom Stylus), no bright light to hurt my eyes.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:38 AM   #6
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
I own the Mimas. Note taking is good, other then occasionally loosing a page or so. Reading is good. Annotating docs is not so good. Not the lightest, but it feels balanced so solid.

Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #7
Theron

Thanks. Thinking about going smaller with the Onyx Boox Nova Pro if there is some way to save notes to the cloud for a backup. Seems like a better machine from my reading, and I won't be purchasing until the end of summer. Lots of time to consider.

Edit...Just read the review stating you can save to the cloud. Now it's time to consider the 7.8" Nova Pro Vs. the 10.3" Note Pro.

Last edited by Theron; 04-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Go 10", definitely.
Don't buy the Mimas. I keep losing note pages!
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote