Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-22-2019, 04:18 AM   #1
dimyself
dimyself began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4gb version 3
Ereader for manga and ebooks, large screen?

Hi there. I currently have the paperwhite version right before the water resistant version (version 3 i think)?

I want a new one with more space and larger screen so I can also view manga.

Too me , the paperwhite looks/feels like paper and works well for me. I like the features it has (dictionary, bookmarks, highlighting, wiki, notes, search, long battery life, back light for night reading, etc).

These are all features I like/use. Plus the screen and kindle itself feel generally pretty rugged.

Basically , my question is that I see some upcoming large screen ereaders, but and wonder if they would be similar/better than a paperwhite? It seems like some of them don't have all the features of a paperwhite?

I want to be able to convert all formats like I currently do in calibre. I can also read most things I upload on my paperwhite (except some pdf's and manga). I don't read anything special really , just books in pdf, epub, mobi, amz3, formats. But I do want to add manga also.

Any thoughts on a good currently available reader or future upcoming reader that has same features as paperwhite plus more? ALso something that will be just as safe/rugged as a paperwhite as far as screen quality goes?

I dont mind playing with it like jailbreaking, adding apps, etc to get it the way I want...BUT I want a reliable reader that will perform as well as a paperwhite in features. For example, I don't want a reader that has software that doesn't work well or doesn't have apps/software available that works well. Not sure if this makes full sense?

I'm not sure how big of a screen I should be looking for? I want to read manga comfortably, so maybe 8-10"?? I'm not really sure though...If someone who knows screen sizes better can help me answer this?

I was considering some of the current 10" screen ereaders (Boyue, Onyx, Sony, Dasung??, others?, etc...)

I don't see much youtube reviews on these different models to compare the quality and screens and features.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
dimyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Fire 10" Tablet.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #3
dimyself
dimyself began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4gb version 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Fire 10" Tablet.
Thank you very much for your reply!

Hmm, can you explain why this suggestion though?

I forgot to mention, I'm in no means locked into "Amazon". I don't use their store at all. I pretty much copy my own stuff using Calibre. In fact having a more open piece of hardware with less restrictions is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Also, THe battery life of this isn't going to be very good is it? I like the long battery life of an eink paper screen type.

Also, I do have an actual regular tablet, but reading on it is not the same as reading on a paper-like screen display.

Honestly, if Amazon had a paperwhite e-ink version that had a large screen, I'd probably get that... but they don't. Or an e-ink large screen with color would be perfect. But for now I guess I'm leaning towards something like this: Boyue Likebook Mimas. I just worry it won't have many features or will be crap quality?
dimyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:25 AM   #4
helen19770707
Connoisseur
helen19770707 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx C67 kindle Onyx Note
Onyx Boox Max 2 or Onyx Boox Max 2 pro is recommended. Large screen, 13.3 inch which is similar to the A4 size. 32 GB or 64GB storage could carry many books and it could support many kinds of formats, including Epub, Mobi, Pdf, etc. It is a pity that it does not have a SD card slot to enlarge the storage by users. I have looked a video posted in Youtube to show the comparison between the Onyx devices and the Manga. I think the biggest one is perfect for reading. It provides the real reading experience.
helen19770707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #5
helen19770707
Connoisseur
helen19770707 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx C67 kindle Onyx Note
The Note Pro will be cheaper compared with the Max2, but with a smaller screen. It will be second choice for you. I am considering buy one to read PDFs especially in bed. Those are sold out on Amazon, and I got feedback from the Onyx via Facebook that it will be back in stock around April on Amazon. But their official Online Shop has those on sale. I am wondering the shipping fees since it was not from Amazon.

Last edited by helen19770707; 03-31-2020 at 02:31 AM.
helen19770707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bigger Screen of course....
Color instead of shades of grey.....
You can Side Load from Calibre....
Tons of Storage & its expandable....
Battery life depends a lot on the light settings & if you have wifi on or not. I get 12 hours reading Light on 1/2 way Wifi always on! You can use those small Battery boosts to give longer reading time.

The Japanese have been using PW with 32 gig to read Magna for years now I haven't heard of any problems But mind I don't read or speak the Japanese.... Might want to check out their Forum on MR
Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Some one else asked the same question back in 2012....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=165422

Might give you more insight...
Old 03-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Kobo Forma? It's around the same size as the iPad mini which to me is quite comfortable for manga.

I read manga quite regularly on a 9.7" iPad in 2-page landscape mode so around Kindle Oasis 2 size pages. Mind, I'm actually fine with reading manga on a Kindle Paperwhite 3/4 (1072*1448) as well (native cbz/zip support via KOReader).

Hmm, curious what're the latest rumors on the Voyage and Oasis? Think Amazon might bump screen sizes to 7" and 8" respectively?

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-22-2019 at 09:59 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
E-ink screens are not as rugged as tablet screens. Be careful about that.

For comics, I prefer tablets to e-ink readers. The screens can display color*, are larger and look better. Also since tablets are more powerful, there's less issue handling images/CBZ/PDF than there is on e-ink. Batter life is less on a tablet, but I've never been out reading and run out of battery. Tablets have larger batteries than phones and you use them less.

I'm using a Surface Pro 5 and even though Windows comic readers aren't as nice as Android ones, comics look great on the 12.3" screen.

*I understand manga is black and white, but otherwise everything I said still holds true.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
*I understand manga is black and white, but otherwise everything I said still holds true.
Personally, I don't like reading manga on the iPad Pro 12.9. It's too big and because of low resolution sources, line art and text can get pretty blurry with fit to page. But yeah, very expansive format support. No need for conversion or repackaging.

As you said though, tablets are perfect for American/European comics—full color, smaller text and generally more "busy" as they're designed for bigger* paper.

*Yes, manga are often serialized first on large, phonebook-size magazines, but layout and text seem designed to be simple enough to fit on much smaller tankobons.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote