Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #46
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paw3pals View Post
When you add a book, the author's name is listed however the publisher put it, so there is no way to control that.

However, if you download metadata (which I almost always do, as that gives me series info) you can specify LN,FN. Go to Preferences, Sharing, Metadata download - in the bottom right make sure there is a check in the box for "Swap author names from FN LN to LN, FN."
BINGO! That little step makes all the difference in the world (the divil is in the details)! I tried it and it seems to work great both for e-pubs and PDFs. Thank you!

I actually had the foresight to make a backup copy of my libraries before I started mucking about with this FN LN to LN, FN business. Now, before I do anything else stupid, should I replace the altered library with the backup library and go through the steps again, including the author sort tweek and this latest tweek, to change the FN LN to LN, FN or would just changing the tweek be OK?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #47
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44reader View Post
EDIT: Oh, I missed paw3pals' post saying the same thing. Can't do any harm to repeat it anyway (again).
Nope, no harm at all. Thank you. The difference was kiwidude didn't specify where the box was to click for FN LN to LN, FN was. Since it was in a different screen in Preferences, I didn't see it nor would I have known where to look. Miss one tiny detail and my train of thought gets derailed and goes nowhere.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #48
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sorry Lady F
I have been working (40+ years) in the Electronics/Manufacturing industries.

QC and Quality Control are the same to us: "I will run this by QC", "I would build your board if ^&* QC would ever release the parts"

(there are a lot of words that get put in font of "QC" , but believe me, the customer has a lot of words if QC is not done )
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Although as pointed out by 44reader the plugin is called the Quality Check plugin not the Quality Control plugin.
I never would have seen the difference. I agree with theducks about quality control. I briefly worked incoming electrical inspection for Motorola and one of my jobs was to heat soak (basically, bake in an oven in cycles) and test all incoming ICs from TI and Motorola to force early failure when testing them to happen at a more convenient time (sych as before installation). I also percentage checked and tested other discrete components. When I worked Shipping and Receiving off and on over the 30 years I worked in warehousing for an electric power/irrigation utility, I was the first step in quality control. I sent a lot of stuff back because of physical damage or wrong specs. As a consumer, I'm very sensitive to quality control, especially when there is a lack of it.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #49
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
BINGO! That little step makes all the difference in the world (the divil is in the details)! I tried it and it seems to work great both for e-pubs and PDFs. Thank you!

I actually had the foresight to make a backup copy of my libraries before I started mucking about with this FN LN to LN, FN business. Now, before I do anything else stupid, should I replace the altered library with the backup library and go through the steps again, including the author sort tweek and this latest tweek, to change the FN LN to LN, FN or would just changing the tweek be OK?
?????
Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #50
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Quote:
?????
That "Bingo!" setting in the Edit Metadata preferences you can do now and, once set, it stays set.

But I would now follow all the advice given my the masters which I condensed in a hopefully helpful way.

So my advice is first to read (but don't worry about too much) this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=37

and then

follow the instructions - exactly as described - in the next post, here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=38

As I've said, I'm doing exactly the same as what you want to do - and I'm very new to calibre and it's worked for me - so I can vouch for the advice given there.

Things will become clear as time goes by and once you've done all those things, you can start to get into a few of the other very useful plugins which will make things even easier.
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #51
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
And, yes, I think you can use your old backed-up library.

Although, of course I don't know exactly what state it is in.

But yes, I would say:

Step 1. Restore your old library.

Step 2. Read this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=37

Step 3: Follow exactly and in the order presented, the advice here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=38
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #52
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44reader View Post
And, yes, I think you can use your old backed-up library.

Although, of course I don't know exactly what state it is in.

But yes, I would say:

Step 1. Restore your old library.

Step 2. Read this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=37

Step 3: Follow exactly and in the order presented, the advice here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=38
Thank you! I'll restore the library and then jump through the hoops. The backed up library is in excellent shape other than authors being listed as FN LN (I'm an anal coward so I back up the snot out of everything).

Thanks again for everyone's patience and help!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #53
paw3pals
Enthusiast
paw3pals doesn't litterpaw3pals doesn't litter

Device: nook tablet
Sorry I wasn't online yesterday. Glad you got it working.

Quote:
Thank you! I'll restore the library and then jump through the hoops. The backed up library is in excellent shape other than authors being listed as FN LN (I'm an anal coward so I back up the snot out of everything).

Thanks again for everyone's patience and help!
paw3pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #54
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw3pals View Post
Sorry I wasn't online yesterday. Glad you got it working.
No worries. Thanks for your help.