Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books
LARdT began at the beginning.

Device: HANLIN V3ext (Papyre 6.1)
Additional CSS for conversion

I have a .doc template I use to preformat the text before conversion.
If I apply to a paragraph an style called "DramatisPersona", that becomes a CSS style in the ePUB after the conversion.

If I have an additional CSS style with the same name, shouldn't it be applied to the CSS IN THE ePUB file?

This is the code in Addtional CSS:
Code:
.AUTHOR {
display: block;
font-family: "Gunther Calligraphic";
font-size: 1.33333em;
margin-bottom: 1em;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 1em;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0;
font-weight: bolder;
text-shadow: auto
}
But this is the code I get in the ePUB file:
Code:
.AUTHOR {
    display: block;
    font-family: Arial;
    font-size: 1.5em;
    font-weight: bold;
    margin-bottom: 6pt;
    margin-left: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-top: 0;
    text-align: center;
    text-indent: 7.2pt;
    text-shadow: auto
    }

Shouldn't both be equal? The code in ePUB file should be the same as in the "additional CSS" conversion option?
LARdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
CSS is merged, not overwritten
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books

But then it seems it is merging it wrong.

It would be much better that in case of conflict the "AdditionaL CSS" should apply.
Could you please give more detail in how the merging algorithm works?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All the differences you're seeing come from having remove paragraph spacing and font size rescaling set.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books

Kovid,
the converted style is the exact translation of the WORD style in the html document. I mean that the CSS Additional style is completely IGNORED, does do anything.

The css style created by CALIBRE in conversion is the same no matter if ADDITIONAL CSS:

- has another style with the same name
- has NO such style
- has a style with the same name WITH NONSENSICAL values.

CSS additional text SEEMS TO BE DOING NOTHING AT ALL.

Is true that if stye is not used in the input document is added to final epub converted output, but what would be the purpose of incuding a style that is not used in the document?
Help says "CSS additional could be used to cancel out original CSS styles"

Last edited by LARdT; 02-18-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Here is how CSS is merged:

All css is extracted from teh input document. Extra css is added to the extracted css. Various manipulation is done on the css for font size rescaling, justification, margins etc.

The modified css is written back out into the output file in the form of class based selectors. What CSS overrides other css depends on the priority of the selectors used. CSS has complex rules governing this, which I dont have the time to go into here.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
LARdT
The LARdT of E-Books

Thanks for your reply. Is not necesary because I suppose you are applying CSS standard rules of precedence. I can check them in the web don't worry.
OK, I'm going to experiment a little.
I want to use properly this feature because I think its quite powerful

Thanks again for your patience.

LARdT