Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
cossetter
cossetter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700, PRS-505
Question Tags and Authors in Metadata

Is there a way to automatically copy all the Author names to the Tags section of the Meta Data field? (Replacing the data currently in Tags) reason being is that the Tags auto create collections in my PRS-700, I have 262 books and it created over 700 collections (A little much). I would lke to have my collections by Author on my PRS700... At this time I started to manually edit each book Metadata and doing a copy and paste(replace) from Author to tags.. with 262 books it will take me about 3 years (painfull). I searched your FAQ and Recipe and even downloaded SQlite to see if I could change the .db file (to no avail).

Is there a easy and GUI way to copy all Author names to the Tag Field in the Metadata (again, not adding to the Tags field, but replace current data with the Author name fro the Author field... Or better yet, can I tell calibre to use Author name to ceate my collections and keep tag current info.

Thanks.
cossetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the bulk metadata dialog to remove all tags

then use it to set the tags to the author, one author at a time (better than one book at a time)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
cossetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the bulk metadata dialog to remove all tags

then use it to set the tags to the author, one author at a time (better than one book at a time)
Not pretty but that will work... I tried and I have to select each tag (over 700 of them) manually, Can a Wildcard like *.* be used? I tried *.* and * but no luck. Any suggestions, if it cannot be auto bulk deleted using * or whatever, then I mau simply add another tag like "Author "author name"", I'll end up with even more collections, but all Autors will be sorted on top by name..

Before I do this, I will wait for a responce on a "select all tags" or * solution if one exists.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my question, much appreciated.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
cossetter

Thanks... Maybe one day!!
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
cossetter

I found a way to remove all tags...

1- Delete all "Available Tags" under 1 book in Tag pull down menu.
2- Confirm that you want to delete all tags
3- Select all Books for Bulk Edt
4- In line Remove Tags simply put *************************
5- hit OK

Voila... All gone!!!

Neat eh!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
I feel silly, but I'm lost at Step 1. above. Where do you find "Available Tags" to delete? or the tag pull down menu?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Highlight 1 title
Edit Metadata
Click The "Tag Editor" Button to the right of the "tags"
A list of tags shows
highlight those you wish Gone from all titles
Press the button to the left
those tags will be removed from the DB.

The tags still exist in any document that contains tags. You need to convert again to remove those.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Thanks very much!
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
author, collection, tags