Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #1666
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't understand why Fiat_Lux is saying what he is, but what does FUD mean?
"Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt". ie trying to claim the existence of imaginary problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #1667
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt". ie trying to claim the existence of imaginary problems.
Well, I'll let you guys know (although, I think that this is now way OT for this particular thread) what I think of 8.1 when I see it. I finally (only 3 years of dithering) ordered the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga (as opposed to the Yoga 3 Pro), and it has 8.1. {shrug}. If it really irks me, I'll config it back to a 7-type look, but I'm hoping that the usability of the Yoga as a bigger touch-tablet will force me to really find out just how good/bad 8.1 truly is.

I should have the TY in a few days (it's my Bday gift from over a year ago, LOL!). We tend ot keep our equipment a long time--our current Thinkpad is 10+ years old--so I hope it's a keeper.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #1668
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Hope it works for you.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #1669
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
Hope it works for you.
Well...I don't see why it wouldn't. I have a plethora of devices here, between all the e-readers I test on, tablets, smartphones, etc., as well as my Win7 desktop, old WinXP laptop (LOL), etc. I'm fairly adaptable. I equivocated a long time; I originally was heavily drawn to the SP3 Pro, but felt that as I'm primarily using all my "stuff" for work (I don't watch videos, game, any of that), a slightly larger monitor and a more industrial-strength keyboard were in order.

We've had very good success with the first Lenovo....so...{shrug}. Hopefully, I haven't screwed up, it wouldn't be a cheap mistake. I'm so device-poor, for the business, I'm stingy about my "own" things, :-)

Hitch
Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 PM   #1670
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't understand why Fiat_Lux is saying what he is, but what does FUD mean?
FUD is fear, uncertainty and doubt and term first applied by Amdahl when referencing a tactic used by IBM to discredit the Amdahl computers that were IBM compatible.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #1671
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
FUD is fear, uncertainty and doubt and term first applied by Amdahl when referencing a tactic used by IBM to discredit the Amdahl computers that were IBM compatible.
Thanks, you're never too old to learn anything new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, I'll let you guys know (although, I think that this is now way OT for this particular thread) what I think of 8.1 when I see it. I finally (only 3 years of dithering) ordered the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga (as opposed to the Yoga 3 Pro), and it has 8.1. {shrug}. If it really irks me, I'll config it back to a 7-type look, but I'm hoping that the usability of the Yoga as a bigger touch-tablet will force me to really find out just how good/bad 8.1 truly is.

I should have the TY in a few days (it's my Bday gift from over a year ago, LOL!). We tend ot keep our equipment a long time--our current Thinkpad is 10+ years old--so I hope it's a keeper.
I didn't care for Windows 8 when I first saw it. And I'm still not certain I would want it (in its current form) on my PC. But I absolutely love it on our TV (windows 8.1 media center) and my tablets. It really shines there, and you can see it's designed around touchscreens (ok, our TV isn't touch screen, but we've a touchpad mouse thingie...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #1672
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I'm more about "collecting" readers, than actually reading ebooks .
I've got:
Sony 300
Sony 505
Sony 600
Sony 700
Sony 900
Sony T1
Cybook Gen3
Cybook Opus (white = old)
Cybook Opus (blue = new)
iRex iLiad
iRex 1000S (sold)
iRex 800S (sold)
Kindle 2
Kindle 3
Kindle DX (sold)
Kindle DX Graphite
Kindle touch
Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
Kindle Fire HD 7"
Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
nook
nook touch
nook GlowLight
nook HD
nook HD+
BeBook One
BeBook Neo
Spring Design Alex
PocketBook 360
2 x Kobo touch
Kobo Arc
Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura H2O
iPad 1
iPad 2 (sold)
iPad 3 (sold)
iPad mini (sold)
iPad mini Retina
iPhone 4 + iPhone 4S [only mentioning it, because it's the first iPhone model I actually like, although it's still far from being a business phone]
Dell Streak (sold)
Dell Latitude 10
Dell Venue 8 Pro
Lenovo ThinkPad 8
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" (sold)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Samsung Galaxy Note
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Toshiba Libretto W100
Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012
Microsoft Surface RT
Microsoft Surface 2
Microsoft Surface Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro 2
Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Google Chromebook Pixel (sold)
Motorola Xoom
Motorola Xoom 2 Media Edition
Google Nexus 7 (2012) (sold)
Google Nexus 7 (2013)
BlackBerry PlayBook
BlackBerry Passport
Acer Iconia
Asus Eee Pad Transformer
Asus VivoTab Smart
HP TouchPad
Sony Tablet P
Sony Tablet S
Nokia Lumia 920
Nvidia Shield Portable
Nvidia Shield Tablet
and: iPhone and iPod touch, BlackBerry and some old Pocket PCs.
Having checked out my units quite intensively, I've found lots of advantages and disadvantages, which I wouldn't have expected because of the reviews and tests I've found.
Just an example: On the iRex iLiad, I can change author's names or book titles on the fly. Very often, on my other units I'm annoyed if bookshops don't stick to naming conventions. I absolutely HATE it, when books I've bought officially on various websites sometimes for the author's name show: "Stephen King". The next time, it's "King, Stephen". Another time it's "KING, STEPHEN". I've even had this when buying an official bundle of books!
On the iRex, I can change that on the fly and even can add comments, for example "book 1/34" or something like that.
So, from time to time in this thread, I'll compare features of these units.
If anyone has got any questions or documents to compare.....

For now, 1 line per unit:

BeBook One: Rarely use it. Feels and looks "cheap" and since UnDe... doesn't have any real advantage to me.
Sony 300: Just started it for the first time. Similar to Cybook Opus, but even a little bit more appealing.
Sony 600: I'm very positively surprised. Display very much improved over Sony 700. Doesn't have Sony 300's "plastic framing", again another very elegant unit from Sony.
Sony 700: Rarely use it. Without dictionary support, the touchscreen for me doesn't have any advantage over the Sony 505, and I clearly prefer the display of the 505.
Sony 505: Has been my 2nd eInk Reader and still is one of my favorites. Excellent display, elegant and "cool" design.
iRex iLiad: Has been my 1st eInk Reader and I still love it. I don't use any 3rd party applications (anymore). But I love the standard OS, anyway. I easily can organize my files in folders. I can add thumbnails to these folders. As mentioned before, I can add comments to every single book, on the fly directly on my unit.
iRex 1000S: Rarely did use it so far. I miss some of the features of the iRex iLiad, some of them mentioned before. But having "played around" with it yesterday, I think I'll use it a bit.
Cybook Gen3: Rarely did use it so far. I don't like the buttons on the left from an ergonomical perspective. But still: A "cool" unit, I really like the thumbnail view of my Mobipocket books.
Cybook Opus: Just started it for the first time. My only 5" unit, definitely will take it with me when traveling "light".
Kindle 2: I've got it 6 weeks ago and it quickly did raise to my top 3. I can't use Whispernet over here, so I can't use the settings and my bookmarks show "1970". But this is more than compensated by the biggest source of books and usually having the lowest prices. And I LOVE the iPhone app, for a quick read when travelling.
Kindle DX: I've got it last week. After my experience with Kindle 2, I simply HAD to order the DX. It's great, but so far I haven't found the "niche" for it, yet. It's got the same features as Kindle 2. But it's a bit too bulky for travelling, but on the other hand still not big enough for some magazines or newspapers.
That's it for the moment...
Questions or documents for comparison are more than welcome...
Quite an impressive collection you've got. It has been a while since this was posted, but if you are still around, what would you say the three best reading tablets are today?

I read around 50 books a year, and I am curious about the e-ink screens. Currently most are read on my LCD cell phone screen.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #1673
yuwang
yuwang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx /kobo glo hd/sony t3s
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
Quite an impressive collection you've got. It has been a while since this was posted, but if you are still around, what would you say the three best reading tablets are today?

I read around 50 books a year, and I am curious about the e-ink screens. Currently most are read on my LCD cell phone screen.
actually,maybe kobo h2o, kobo glo hd, sony t3
yuwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #1674
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
Quite an impressive collection you've got. It has been a while since this was posted, but if you are still around, ...
Sadly, the original poster mgmueller has left the forum at the end of 2014.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:31 AM   #1675
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I have:

Oasis 7"
Nook Glowlight 3
Nook Glowlight Plus
AZUS 8"
Samsung Galaxy Nook 7"
2016 8" kindle fire
2017 7' Kindle Fire
2017 iPad

I had the Voyage, Oasis 1st generation and two paperwhites but sold them.

I will someday get a KOBO, ipad Pro and a larger samsung
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:44 AM   #1676
Cengizhan Gunes
Cengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheese

Device: onyx
Love to read is good!
Cengizhan Gunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:46 AM   #1677
Cengizhan Gunes
Cengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheeseCengizhan Gunes can extract oil from cheese

Device: onyx
I have:
Kindle Paperwhite
Nook
Onyx
Mars
Cengizhan Gunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #1678
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
This thread is almost 10 years old. I'm surprised people are still replying. The OP actually had dozens of readers and tablets before he stopped his updates.I would love to know what he is up to now days.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #1679
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
This thread is almost 10 years old. I'm surprised people are still replying. The OP actually had dozens of readers and tablets before he stopped his updates.I would love to know what he is up to now days.
mg left MUA a long time ago now. I forget the why, but he was torqued about something, and left. It's unfortunate, as he was a major contributor and an invaluable resource.

Hitch
Old 11-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #1680
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
This thread is almost 10 years old. I'm surprised people are still replying.
Maybe because the thread is sticky.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparing, comparison, features, readers, test