Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #181
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
So did I. I don't go around calling people who don't know that idiots and blaming the stagnant economy on them.
Actually I called the person who was trying to open a spreadsheet with Word an idiot. (And I blame the stagnant economy on politicians.)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #182
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And that's exactly the point. New tools require new learning. Simple.

If you want to do your job whether it's a being a carpenter, a taxi driver, or a secretary you must learn to use the tools available to accomplish the job.

In this age of increasingly rapid change one cannot expect to learn one way of doing something and expect it to last a lifetime. We live in a time of change. Embrace it.
I embrace change, in fact I embrace Chaos. It's one of the benefits of being evil.

Now I'm wondering if I can make a sculpture from the now bent and useless saws I have in my possession. I'll title it "Embracing Change" and sell this piece of "Art" for enough funds to recoup my losses...
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #183
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
True, but they did know their tools. Now they have to re-learn them and fight against learned behavior.

A western saw cuts on the push stroke, and has a handle perpendicular to the blade. A Dozuki cuts on the pull stroke, has a much thinner blade and a handle parallel the the blade. Both do the same job, but you've changed the interface. Do that abruptly and now the person not only has to learn the again, but also fight against ingrained behavior.

(And no, don't ask me how many dozukis I've bent. Suffice to say it was too many, and I'm not even a carpenter...)
I agree 100% with this.

Most people who use Excel, for example, are just doing very basic tasks that often aren't even really spreadsheets at all. Excel just serves as the easiest way to organize the data they are working with. I use it on an almost daily basis for quotes and general documentation. That doesn't mean I need to be an expert on it to use it efficiently for my purposes.

And what some people forget is that new isn't always better. It's often different just for the sake of being different. There are a lot of aspects of Windows 7, let alone Windows 8, that are like that. Microsoft's ribbon interface is another example that I absolutely loathed because it didn't offer me any advantage in what I do and seems to clutter what used to be a simple menu system.

I'm in IT as well but that doesn't mean I'm an expert in everything related. I'm an expert in a specific area of a specific field. I embrace change. it's absolutely necessary. But what was once fun and interesting when I was young has often become a hinderence in getting things accomplished now that I'm older. Training time means less time doing.

Now, that said, I certainly have plenty of examples of supporting people who don't know how to do their job and could go on for days talking about it. But I also have idiotic moments now and then, just like everybody else in the world.

Last edited by pl001; 11-27-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #184
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I embrace change, in fact I embrace Chaos. It's one of the benefits of being evil.

Now I'm wondering if I can make a sculpture from the now bent and useless saws I have in my possession. I'll title it "Embracing Change" and sell this piece of "Art" for enough funds to recoup my losses...
Perfect!

Go for it!

Try Ebay or FineArtAmerica.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-27-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #185
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
And since this thread has veered off in this direction I'll take this opportunity to say -- this is exactly why Apple limits its options to few and simple and attempts to control things -- in order to limit need to train users etc. If there is only one way, one app to do something, it simplifies support across the board.
It simplifies support, yes. But their proprietary hardware locks you into a single manufacturer and severely limits your flexibility. Generally speaking, businesses usually don't find that to be a good tradeoff.

I don't expect Apple to keep those market share numbers in businesses for this reason. Windows 8 appears to offer far more, assuming they can deliver what has been promised.
Advert
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #186
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
It simplifies support, yes. But their proprietary hardware locks you into a single manufacturer and severely limits your flexibility. Generally speaking, businesses usually don't find that to be a good tradeoff.

I don't expect Apple to keep those market share numbers in businesses for this reason. Windows 8 appears to offer far more, assuming they can deliver what has been promised.
Oh I agree completely. I despise Apple's business practices. I was just stating the reasoning behind the one-button mouse.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #187
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Most people who use Excel, for example, are just doing very basic tasks that often aren't even really spreadsheets at all. Excel just serves as the easiest way to organize the data they are working with.
I generally find that for people outside of the IT department, Excel is almost the only tool they ever use, for any problem, regardless of how well suited it is. They've learned a tool, and know how to use it, so apply it to any situation they encounter.
Computers are things that make email, "the internet" and Excel work.
Then we merged with a company that had the same attitude, but with Notes.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #188
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I generally find that for people outside of the IT department, Excel is almost the only tool they ever use, for any problem, regardless of how well suited it is. They've learned a tool, and know how to use it, so apply it to any situation they encounter.
Computers are things that make email, "the internet" and Excel work.
Then we merged with a company that had the same attitude, but with Notes.

Yeah, there was this 'artist' posting his work on another forum -- done in PowerPoint.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #189
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Oh I agree completely. I despise Apple's business practices. I was just stating the reasoning behind the one-button mouse.
Fair enough.
Now, if you please, explain the reasoning for the hockey-puck mouse.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #190
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I generally find that for people outside of the IT department, Excel is almost the only tool they ever use, for any problem, regardless of how well suited it is.
There was a time when people did their word processing inside Lotus 1-2-3. They even hunted for special macros to let them add wordpad-level features.
When querried, the vast majority explained that learning Lotus was hard enough; they didn't have the time or stomach for learning wordperfect, too.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #191
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Fair enough.
Huh? Jobs chose the one-button mouse because it was "simpler"
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #192
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Fair enough.
Symmetry?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #193
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Huh? Jobs chose the one-button mouse because it was "simpler"
Right. And the hockey puck mouse because...?

Hint:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1138...tproducts.html

Quote:
Perhaps no Apple product has been as reviled as the infamous “hockey puck” mouse, which shipped with the original iMac in 1998 and lasted for two years. Its small size made it awkward to grasp, and its round shape made it tricky to orient. The only people who liked it were the folks who made third-party mice and USB-to-ADB adapters that enabled the use of older mice.
In this context "tricky" = "well-nigh impossible".
Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #194
kennyc

Quote:
Right. And the hockey puck mouse because...?

Hint:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1138...tproducts.html

In this context "tricky" = "well-nigh impossible".
Oh, yeah, that thing, I wasn't even sure what you were talking about, I'd forgotten about that li'l nugget.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #195
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
No one said anything about becoming a computer expert. What I said was one must learn to use the tools necessary to do their job. Simple concept.
They did learn to use the tools necessary, but then Microsoft decided to change/move/improve the tools. Once that happens you have to spend precious time your's & tech support or a coworker to find the damn tools again so that you can use them.

I love pc's and love learning new things about them, but I was pretty lost at first when I got MS Office 2010 after having used MS office 97 at home and maybe 2003 at work.

At home I have all the time in the world to play around with a new program at work, I need to be productive not wasting precious time looking for something that they decided to move from where I'm used to it being.
Closed Thread