Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
deadtrees
deadtrees began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is there any way to cut my Kindle off from Amazon entirely?

Dear Dudes and Dudettes,

I want an e-reader. I'm also very protective of my privacy. Is there some sort of hack I can install on the Kindle Paperwhite or any other e-reader that cuts it off from the manufacturer entirely?

Really what I'd like is a Kindle Keyboard variant or similar, but really I'll use any device that doesn't cause me eye strain greater than that of an ordinary LED-backed monitor. What I'd like is no syncing with the manufacturer, no remote access, no firmware updates. If I have to install vanilla android or some other ROM on the ereader, that's fine, I just want to own my own device and keep my business my business.

I would like to be able to connect it to the network via wifi too, although I suppose that eliminating the ability for it to do that would be adequate to ameliorate any privacy concerns.

I figure that if I don't use the ebooks available via my library's program and instead buy books from amazon, I can buy them on my computer and then transfer them to the ereader. Works for me.

One thing I'd prefer not to hear about is how my concern for privacy is unnecessary if I'm not doing anything shady. I'm not. Others might not value privacy, and that's fine, but I do. That's the major sticking point that's keeping me reading squid stains on dead trees rather than with a nice, light, compact device. If I can't get what I want, if no such hack exists, I'll stick with dead trees.

I apologize if this question is too general for this forum. Please let me know if that is the case and I'll move it.

Thanks for reading. I mean that in more ways than one.
deadtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
There are a number of ways, described in a number of threads.

The one I prefer, is to block the destination network address ranges with the Kindle's firewall.

But that doesn't help you decide what make/model to buy, any e-reader that runs Linux has a firewall that can be set to block connections to undesired IP addresses.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You have a valid and polite request. But... do you really want to get advice from perfect strangers at some Internet forum in a case related to your privacy? Maybe this forum contains a bit less evilness than Amazon and a bit more knowledge than you, but even smart good people sometimes make mistakes in fighting the Big Brother and leave unnoticed holes. How are you intending to check the completeness of provided solution? :trollface:

Though, of course, you can just buy an e-reader without Wi-Fi and 3G and avoid the problem.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
deadtrees

That's true, if the thing has no network capabilities whatsoever then I'm pretty much golden. And using iptables is clever too, knc1. Actually, I could probably blacklist every destination IP address other than the local network and a machine I can connect to via ssh, but I'm not too sure how capable my hypothetical device would be.

And thank you, eureka, that's a very good point. I can probably check the completeness of the provided solution by running tcpdump on the router. The router has linux on it, like my ideal would-be device, and my computer.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
The K3s have ssh....
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
You have a valid and polite request. But... do you really want to get advice from perfect strangers at some Internet forum in a case related to your privacy? Maybe this forum contains a bit less evilness than Amazon and a bit more knowledge than you, but even smart good people sometimes make mistakes in fighting the Big Brother and leave unnoticed holes. How are you intending to check the completeness of provided solution? :trollface:

Though, of course, you can just buy an e-reader without Wi-Fi and 3G and avoid the problem.
Just because a person reads something, and even if they make a polite response is no indication that they either believe what they read, nor an indication that they will not get additional confirmation.

Plus - no solution was offered in this case.
Only guidance to one direction which the O.P. could further research.
Nobody here is trying to make the O.P.'s final decision for them.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
deadtrees

Is there any disadvantage as far as choosing the Kindle 3 over other devices available?

I do like that display. I haven't seen a paperwhite in person so I'm not sure I'd like that.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

K3 has a keyboard, physical buttons... The K3 has been around for a while so many things have been done with them...
Old 10-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadtrees View Post
I would like to be able to connect it to the network via wifi too, although I suppose that eliminating the ability for it to do that would be adequate to ameliorate any privacy concerns.
I don't understand why you want WiFi. When in the house, if I want to put content on my Kindle, I generally hook it up to my computer with a USB cable. A possible exception is library borrowing, where some of the books are sent out --optionally -- by WiFi and some you have to use the USB cable, depending on publisher requirements. But you already said you won't use the library, so I don't see the need for WiFi.

To me, the killer US application for the Kindle 3 is the New York Times Latest News Blog, at $1.99/month, which, in combination with the 3G feature you don't want, gives me the news where ever I bring my Kindle. Since you (like most people here) don't need this or similar features, why not just kept your device in wireless off/airplane mode all the time?

If I understand right, you are saying that you don't trust librarians but do trust Jeff Bezos. Amazon stockholders here should love you!

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-27-2012 at 09:10 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I don't understand why you want WiFi. When in the house, if I want to put content on my Kindle, I generally hook it up to my computer with a USB cable. A possible exception is library borrowing, where some of the books are sent out --optionally -- by WiFi and some you have to use the USB cable, depending on publisher requirements. But you already said you won't use the library, so I don't see the need for WiFi.
To me, the killer application for the Kindle 3 is the New York Times Latest News Blog, at $1.99, which, in combination with the 3G feature you don't want, gives me the news where ever I bring my Kindle. Since you (like most people here) don't need this or similar features, why not just kept your device in wireless off/airplane mode all the time?
He mentioned above he would like to remotely connect to his computer. I'm sure there could me plenty of other usages other than downloading books.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Just throw your Kindle in the trash and get something else if one is unhappy.. lots of options... it only costs what. $69 to $119 for these Cheapo made e-readers... no big deal.. get a iPad, Nexus 7.. or something else that is not proprietary..

Last edited by MrDoug; 10-27-2012 at 09:18 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
deadtrees

If I were to buy a Kindle Keyboard - which I'm given to believe is a Kindle 3 with cellular networking and wifi - I'm not sure there's a way to disable the 3G. I'm thinking I'll wait for the Paperwhite, but I'm not too keen on the 2GB of hard drive space.

If I got a Kindle Fire, am I required to sign in to a google/amazon account before using the device?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Unplug the card.
and/or
block the use of ppp0
Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Unplug the card.
and/or
block the use of ppp0
Or buy a K3 Wifi only model.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
rockmonkey
rockmonkey began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 6
if you report it as lost or stolen amazon will block all access to any of their content and thus wont support it through updates or what not. i found this out after buying one second hand from a store in the uk and then trying to register it. turns out it was either reported lost or stolen... obviously i returned it the next day. sort of extreme and it will be worthless in the resale market but it will achieve more or less what you want.
rockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privacy