Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
kiri87
kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
Unhappy The 3.4 Update and related troubles

Hello everyone.
I wanted to share with you the experience of a successful Kindle 3 restoration.
I have a Kindle 3 WiFi Special Offers. I had almost every important hack installed on it since the 3.2.1 update (Temp jailbreak for 3.2.1, USB Networking hack, fonts hack, ss hack, launchpad, kite). Every OTA update went smooth. The troubles began when the 3.4 updated installed automatically. It was successfully installed, but when the the framework finished loading, I could only see the list of books. The top & bottom bars were invisible, the menu would not appear on screen and opening any book would only freeze the framework. An interesting fact was that I could start CoolReader 3 via launchpad and it would work correctly.

So, following qlob's "Noob's guide to debricking through ATK", I flashed the 3.4 files (kernel-3.4.img & mmcblk0p1-3.4+jb+keys.img). After waiting more than 3 hours, the process completed successfully. But when it booted, it still had the exact same issues. So, using the guide again, I flashed the 3.0.2 files (kernel-3.0.2-factory.img mmcblk0p1-3.0.2-factory.img). After some other 3 hours, the Kindle booted successfully. And everything was working perfectly. I started installing the official updates (Update_kindle_3.1_B008.bin, Update_kindle_3.3_B008.bin, Update_kindle_3.4_B008.bin). Some updates took more time than other. But, after installing the last update, I was back to the issues I had initially! I was convinced that the issues might be caused by one of the hacks, but now it makes no sense.

Right now I'm in the process of re-flashing 3.0.2, and I plan to update up to 3.3. What exactly seems to be the problem with the 3.4 update? And is there any way of disabling the OTA updates on the K3, besides not enabling WiFi?
kiri87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@kiri87: That would seem to point to something broken in the userstore or /var/local that 3.4 chokes on.

Try clearing one, then the other (or both: factory reset). (Back it up before, of course).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Ummm, there are a couple of update disabling hacks... When you flash the Kindle, none of the stuff remains except for the stuff on the thumb drive section. Backup everything on there, remove it all, and reset to factory defaults, then bring back one documnent back at the time... Sometimes the framework will break from a corrupted book...

Dangit, knc1, you beat me to it..
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
kiri87
kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.kiri87 knows what's going on.

The thumb drive is clean. I haven't tried factory reset, I thought flashing the rootfs included a factory reset. I will do a reset as soon as current flashing process ends.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
kiri87

The factory reset seems to have fixed everything. The Kindle successfully updated to 3.4. Thanks a lot.
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiri87 View Post
The factory reset seems to have fixed everything. The Kindle successfully updated to 3.4. Thanks a lot.
No problem.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote