Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
David28227
David28227 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Exclamation My Kindle Needs Repaired

Hey guys, I've been having a problem with a bricked Kindle Touch Wifi only Model(Model Number D01200)

I bought this kindle used/bricked from someone who messed up trying to jailbreak it, they said they were using the MP3 method. Anyway, when I got it it was bootlooping to the "Your Kindle Needs Repaired" screen. and I did some research and found the "MFGTool" I used that, was able to get it into diagnostic mode, and was following the only unbrick tutorial I was able to find at the time, which was in a different language that I translated using google translate, well the translation was fuzzy so I think I did something wrong and messed it up worse, cause for a while it was stuck at the Diags screen with "Exit Reboot Or Disable Diags" menu up, I'm not entirely sure what I did to get it stuck there, but I could probably find that other tutorial I was following if it's important.

Anyway, next thing that happened is that after a week or two of sitting it on my shelf with that screen stuck I decided to try to try again, I used the MFGTool to attempt to reboot it, and tried to reboot it to "Kindle Main" and the dead battery screen came up, so I charged it till the LED turned green (it was about a day and tried to use the MFGTool again, but this time it won't recognize, I've tried on new computers to no avail, My computer makes the "device connected" sound, but the MFGTool never recognises it

Could someone give me a hand here? I'm somewhat experienced with Rooting Android Devices so I took on this task without much thought, but I'm finding out the hard way that they are in no way similar like I thought they'd be. In the end I just want it working again, I'd like to be able to put DL'd Epub's onto it, but I'd be willing to buy some books if I could just get this working
David28227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Follow the "noobs guide" linked from the first post of the simple debricking sticky. If anything doesn't work as described in that guide, post an exact description of what you did and what went wrong, preferrably in the "simple debricking" thread.

Oh, and before you start: let the device charge for at least 12 hours, using a wall charger.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
David28227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Follow the "noobs guide" linked from the first post of the simple debricking sticky. If anything doesn't work as described in that guide, post an exact description of what you did and what went wrong, preferrably in the "simple debricking" thread.

Oh, and before you start: let the device charge for at least 12 hours, using a wall charger.
I've done all of that, finding that "noobs guide" was what convinced me to try again at de-bricking, the problem is at this point I'm unable to get to fastboot from USB, the computer is recognizing that something's getting plugged in, Device manager even showed "Kindle" in it at one point, but the MFG tool just isn't recognizing it. I'm pretty confident that if I can get it to recognize and get into Fastboot I'll be able to go from there using the guide.

This thread was intended to be the "exact" description. I've described as much as I can/know, is there anything I missed?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
David28227

(Also, I was running in windows, but I have a linux environment available to me if needed)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David28227 View Post
(Also, I was running in windows, but I have a linux environment available to me if needed)
Then try the following: post what happens in syslog when you restart the device in usb downloader mode.

The output on my device looks like this:
Code:
Oct 18 19:10:32 mbp kernel: [587025.494257] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 23
Oct 18 19:10:34 mbp kernel: [587028.240208] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device number 24 using ehci_hcd
Oct 18 19:10:35 mbp kernel: [587028.393004] generic-usb: probe of 0003:15A2:0052.0012 failed with error -22
^C

# The RED part is actually the important one: this is how your device
# should be identifying itself.
# Below is just bonus info (how to use the Linux replacement for mfgtool)
root@mbp:/home/ixtab/kindle-touch/tools/imx_usb_loader# ./imx_usb img/main.bin 
parse mx50_usb_work.conf
dcd
plug
header
jump
15a2:0052(KindleTouch) bConfigurationValue =1
Interface 0 claimed
report 1, wrote 16 bytes, err=0
report 3, read 4 bytes, err=0
read=56 78 78 56
jump_mode 2
img/main.bin
No dcd table, barker=402000d1
dcd_ptr=0x00000000

loading binary file(img/main.bin) to f8006000, skip=0, fsize=800 type=aa

<<<2048, 2048 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf8006400
read=56 78 78 56
jump_mode 2 plug=1 err=0
noplug, continue
jump_mode 2
img/main.bin
header_max=1000

loading binary file(img/main.bin) to f8007000, skip=0, fsize=fed0 type=aa

<<<65232, 65232 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf800742c
You could try to use imx_tool on Linux, as I did (it's linked from the debricking thread) - there's no need for Windows driver hell.
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
This thread was intended to be the "exact" description. I've described as much as I can/know, is there anything I missed?
No mention of trying to re-charge the battery.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
David28227

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No mention of trying to re-charge the battery.
Quote:
the dead battery screen came up, so I charged it till the LED turned green (it was about a day and tried to use the MFGTool again
I did...

Quote:
Then try the following: post what happens in syslog when you restart the device in usb downloader mode.

Code:
Oct 18 19:10:32 mbp kernel: [587025.494257] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 23
Oct 18 19:10:34 mbp kernel: [587028.240208] usb 1-2: new high speed USB device number 24 using ehci_hcd
Oct 18 19:10:35 mbp kernel: [587028.393004] generic-usb: probe of 0003:15A2:0052.0012 failed with error -22
^C

parse mx50_usb_work.conf
dcd
plug
header
jump
Interface 0 claimed
read=56 78 78 56
jump_mode 2
img/main.bin
dcd_ptr=0x00000000

<<<2048, 2048 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf8006400
read=56 78 78 56
jump_mode 2 plug=1 err=0
noplug, continue
jump_mode 2
img/main.bin
header_max=1000

<<<65232, 65232 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf800742c
You could try to use imx_tool on Linux, as I did (it's linked from the debricking thread) - there's no need for Windows driver hell.
Well turns out my Ubuntu partition got corrupted, so I'll have to re-download it again, and I also have work so I'll get back to this thread tomorrow
Old 10-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did...
What I read was:
Quote:
Anyway, next thing that happened is that after a week or two of sitting it on my shelf with that screen stuck I decided to try to try again, I used the MFGTool to attempt to reboot it, and tried to reboot it to "Kindle Main" and the dead battery screen came up, so I charged it till the LED turned green (it was about a day and tried to use the MFGTool again, but this time it won't recognize, I've tried on new computers to no avail, My computer makes the "device connected" sound, but the MFGTool never recognises it
Which is a bit ambiguous about the time lapse between the led turning green and trying to use mfgtool again.
A day's time is enough to discharge the battery depending on just what the machine is doing.

But it does continue on to describe the behavior of a Kindle with a low battery charge.

BIG NOTE:
The LED (and the battery management / battery charger) is under firmware control - -
And it is known that the machine with its firmware is not behaving normally.

So which are you going to believe?
The described behavior or the led?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
David28227

Quote:
What I read was:

Which is a bit ambiguous about the time lapse between the led turning green and trying to use mfgtool again.
A day's time is enough to discharge the battery depending on just what the machine is doing.

But it does continue on to describe the behavior of a Kindle with a low battery charge.

BIG NOTE:
The LED (and the battery management / battery charger) is under firmware control - -
And it is known that the machine with its firmware is not behaving normally.

So which are you going to believe?
The described behavior or the led?
Alright, I get your confusion, my phrasing wasn't very clear but there wasn't any time frame between removing it from the charger, it was a day on the charger then removed and immediately tried to use the MFGTool in windows
Old 10-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Alright, I get your confusion, my phrasing wasn't very clear but there wasn't any time frame between removing it from the charger, it was a day on the charger then removed and immediately tried to use the MFGTool in windows
What else was different between this time, when it did not work and the previous time when it did work with mfgtool?

Different machine? Different USB cable?
Something was different, thinking of what it was might help lead to a solution now.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
David28227

Quote:

Code:
^C

parse mx50_usb_work.conf
dcd
plug
header
jump
Interface 0 claimed
read=56 78 78 56
jump_mode 2
img/main.bin
dcd_ptr=0x00000000

<<<2048, 2048 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf8006400
read=56 78 78 56
jump_mode 2 plug=1 err=0
noplug, continue
jump_mode 2
img/main.bin
header_max=1000

<<<65232, 65232 bytes>>>
jumping to 0xf800742c

Okay, I actually don't know how I'd go about doing that...

Quote:
What else was different between this time, when it did not work and the previous time when it did work with mfgtool?

Different machine? Different USB cable?
Something was different, thinking of what it was might help lead to a solution now.
I tried doing everything the same, same USB Cable, same computer (it's been through a Windows Reset since then though...) I've tried a brand new USB Cable, I've tried using a new cable on a new computer, I've tried every combination of USB ports to Computers to USB Cables I have. I don't usually like to post on forums to help unless I've exhausted everything I can think of. I am pretty unfamiliar with this kind of dev style work, the closest I've came to doing this was ADB on android.. So Even that "Noob" guide is a little over my head. I follow guides for Android stuff all the time and I can easily follow directions, but with these guides I think there's some sort of underlying concept that I just an oblivious to.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Okay, I actually don't know how I'd go about doing that...
Step 1: Start Linux
Step 2: sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
Step 3: plug kindle (which must be in USB downloader mode).
Step 4: check log. If you see something similar to the output I posted, check that your Kindle has the correct device identifier. If you *don't* see anything like what I posted, run "sudo lsusb" and post its output here.

The above steps are there to verify that your Kindle actually identifies itself correctly. If it does, you can use imx_usb_loader as described here.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-23-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
David28227

Quote:
Step 1: Start Linux
Step 2: sudo tail -f /var/log/syslog
Step 3: plug kindle (which must be in USB downloader mode).
Step 4: check log. If you see something similar to the output I posted, check that your Kindle has the correct device identifier. If you *don't* see anything like what I posted, run "sudo lsusb" and post its output here.

The above steps are there to verify that your Kindle actually identifies itself correctly. If it does, you can use imx_usb_loader as described here.
And how do you put it in USB Downloaded mode? I'm assuming it's the same thing that Kindle MFG tool or select boot uses which is what my problem seems to be, I can't get it to recognise
I'm sorry I'm such a noob at this >.> at this point I'd be willing to mail it off to get it fixed if I wasn't so stubborn in DIY
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
David28227

Also, sorry for taking so long, I've recently got a job and my free time has been limited
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
For the K5, IIRC it's

1. hold power button and home button for 30 seconds,

2. release the power button but keep the home button pressed down for 1 seconds or so, then

3. plug the kindle into the computer.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, kindle touch, ktouch, need help