Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
justification problems on KK after update to 3.4

I updated my Kindle Keyboard to 3.4; the books I've got from Amazon since then have all had full justification. I prefer left justification and have my reader.pref set to default to that. I can't change the justification on any of these new downloads - I've checked my reader prefs and still have the same settings.

Has anyone encountered the same problem? It's going to be a nuisance moving each new purchase onto Calibre first to change the justification, especially if I'm not at home or want to read a book straight away.

ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
hrm.... Are these new books AZW3 format? That coule be your problem....
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
ren41
Connoisseur

You think that they are hard coding justification etc into the new format? I read that the line height is a problem and I have found that, although it does respond to resetting and 'small' is bearable. Or are you saying that the azw3/kf8 format doesn't take its instructions from the reader.pref file?

ren
Old 10-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With KF8, you can specify the justification. So if the eBook is KF8 and it's specified to be left justified, it will be left justified.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
ren41
Connoisseur

I thought the author could specify the justification with the ordinary azw format as well. But regardless of that, I'm obviously going to have to put it through Calibre - I can't cope with the full justification (especially with my custom narrow page margins!).

thank you

ren
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Narrow page margins and left justified? How can you read that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
I thought the author could specify the justification with the ordinary azw format as well. But regardless of that, I'm obviously going to have to put it through Calibre - I can't cope with the full justification (especially with my custom narrow page margins!).

thank you

ren
Perhaps you could setup a folder that is "watched" by a re-justification service.

New book arrives -> Dump in folder. Watcher notices, processes book, pushes to device.

That is what I would do. HTH.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I have this same problem: even with the little hack that gives you a menu choice to choose "left" or "full" justification, every book -- new or old -- that I've sampled (downloaded a new sample from Amazon) in the last couple of weeks has had that option grayed out. It was NEVER grayed out before -- sometimes it didn't WORK, but you could always SELECT the "left" option. I find the full justification without dynamic hyphenation impossible to look at. I own three Kindle Keyboards, and they're all gathering dust now; I'm doing my reading on a Kobo Glo, which reliably lets me set my own justification preference for every book. Why typeface, leading, margins, and so forth are considered things the user should have control over, but justification ISN'T -- why that one attribute is something Amazon won't let us adjust to our own preference -- is beyond me.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

qlob, it looks to me, in limited testing, that Amazon is now serving ALL books -- new titles and old -- in AZW3 format. Titles I'd previously downloaded let me change justification, but even old books seem now to be being delivered in the AZW3 format (or, at least, their sample chapters are).
Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
qlob, it looks to me, in limited testing, that Amazon is now serving ALL books -- new titles and old -- in AZW3 format. Titles I'd previously downloaded let me change justification, but even old books seem now to be being delivered in the AZW3 format (or, at least, their sample chapters are).
For a different reason, I've been doing a mobi-to-mobi conversion in Calibre, so that newer mobi files can be read by my older Cybook, etc. If you set the Calibre option to save a mobi conversion in the old format, you might be able to get back your justification option.

If you do, post and let us know.

roger
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
RobertJSawyer
Guru

Darqref, yes, converting AZW3 to Mobi via Calibre does reactivate the "Justification" toggle on the Font menu.