Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #496
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
Thank you NiLuJe! I've proceeded accordingly (instructions for usbnetwork via launchpad: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=159502)
(kindlevncviewer worked as well, by the way)
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #497
GustavMichl
GustavMichl began at the beginning.

Device: dx
Hey guys,

i would like to install either the 3.2.1 or 3.3 on my dx but doesn't have a Kindle 3.
Is there someone who could help me out?

Thanks a lot!
GustavMichl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #498
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Hi, Am on KDXG 3.2.1 (got one off ebay). I am not able to purchase games from amazon.
I think DX with 2.5.8 compat check is failing.
Is there a way around this? Spoof the version or something like that?
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #499
liuto
Connoisseur
liuto is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG / Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Hi, Am on KDXG 3.2.1 (got one off ebay). I am not able to purchase games from amazon.
I think DX with 2.5.8 compat check is failing.
Is there a way around this? Spoof the version or something like that?
Yes, I got the same issue, actually I could not buy any book... I had to call Amazon customer service but finally I found I can recovery it myself... that is:

put the original system back and do factory reset then install KDXG 3.2.1 again
liuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #500
DrNWM
DrNWM began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thumbs up

Hi Yifanlu,

thank you very much for the asesome install package.

I could manage to install V3.3 (from my updated Kindle K3W V3.3) to my DXG by simply repacking (and signing) your update_k3w-3.1-create_updater.bin with 3.3 key.

Also nearly all the other hacks I'd tried are working after the same repack procedure.
(f.ex.: usbnet, german language pack v0.91, launchpad, fbreader, etc.)

If you also want to try it, do it with the kindle_update_tool.py - and updated V3.3 sign key included (but still at your own risk :-):
1. step: unpack .bin to .tgz with e option, then
2. step: repack .tgz to .bin with c option and --dxg suboption

Only TTS I could up to now not make working, don't know if this is a side effect, because I've not resetted my DXG before upgrading.

Greeting

DrNWM
DrNWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #501
abures
abures began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, iPad
Thanks to Yifanlu for the great install package, and to the whole community for supporting the efforts of all Kindle DXers to get the most out of their reading devices!

I would also like to "downgrade" back to 2.5.8, at least temporarily. Unfortunately, I somehow have lost the backup file, update_restore-k2-os.bin. Is there anyone in the forum that would be willing to share their copy of this file with me? I am using a Kindle DXG, and I assume that the file should also come from a graphite Kindle to be sure it will "take" correctly.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuto View Post
Yes, I got the same issue, actually I could not buy any book... I had to call Amazon customer service but finally I found I can recovery it myself... that is:

put the original system back and do factory reset then install KDXG 3.2.1 again
abures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #502
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by deagol View Post
If you already have a 3.x version on your k2/DX kindle that's probably not what you want.

That said you can of course also update your k3 to 3.3 and create a new "restore" package with my files, at least if you still have the rootfs.img created during the initial upgrade to 3.x.
That would also install the 3.3 version on your k2/dx kindle. But it would "restore" the device - including a factory reset - to 3.3, not update it.
So the only concern when using the bin-file generated by your scripts is that it will factory-reset the k2/DX?

And just to double-check: to make your 3.3 script create the correct bin-file do I need to use the rootfs.img which was created by the back up script while DX was on 2.5.8 or do I need to generate a new one on my DX (which is now on 3.2.1) if I want to migrate from 3.2.1 to 3.3?
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #503
deagol
deagol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
So the only concern when using the bin-file generated by your scripts is that it will factory-reset the k2/DX?
Well, technically it's neither a script nor is it from me
I've only made very minor modifications to the source provided by yifanlu to get it working with a k3 already running 3.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
And just to double-check: to make your 3.3 script create the correct bin-file do I need to use the rootfs.img which was created by the back up script while DX was on 2.5.8 or do I need to generate a new one on my DX (which is now on 3.2.1) if I want to migrate from 3.2.1 to 3.3?
You should use the bin file from 2.5.8. It's probably possible to use newer images also, but that may need some modifications.

The package generated on the k3 is always a full recover package for the k2. You can use it for up and downgrades.
(Also be handy if you bricked the kindle. Should be usable to revover it as long as the recovery menu still works. But never needed that...)
That's also the reason it factory resets the kindle. The complete OS partition will be overwritten. It will keep books, through. They are on another partition.

Last edited by deagol; 08-10-2012 at 08:51 AM.
deagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #504
Oliviakrk
Oliviakrk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX International
Hello

Anyone tried this hack on DX International (White One) ?
Oliviakrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #505
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
update kernel on DXG with yifanlu's recovery kernel

I'm running updated DXG with yifanlu's recovery kernel and now I would like to recompile it with kexec support.

I guess I can create custom package based on prepare image from this update, but I wouldn't want to loose recovery features or brick Kindle on first try.

@yifanlu can you point me in right direction or provide recovery image for DXG with kexec if you have toolchain setup for kernel recompile handy?
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #506
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@dpavlin: Yifan's writeups on this are here (building) and there (patching the update/recovery).

Seaniko7 also did some stuff with Kindle kernels, here for example.

And here's a small patch for the 3.3 kernel to at least *build* on a recent system.

If you intend to flash *everything* (kernel + modules + support files), I think any (working ) toolchain will do, but if you want to mix & match, you'll have to use something mostly matching Amazon's TC (twobob might steer you in the right direction here, he's done it ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-09-2012 at 11:08 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #507
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
2006q3 2007q3 CS TC I used from the Kek archives.

(Think that should be IS solid all that way up to 2007q3)

Included a kexec for your delectation.

readelf:
Spoiler:
Quote:
me@dev ~/GIT/buildroot $/opt/arm-2007q3/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-readelf -d /home/you/GIT/buildroot/output/target/usr/sbin/kexec

There is no dynamic section in this file.

me@dev ~/GIT/buildroot $ /opt/arm-2007q3/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-readelf -l /home/you/GIT/buildroot/output/target/usr/sbin/kexec

Elf file type is EXEC (Executable file)
Entry point 0x8120
There are 6 program headers, starting at offset 52

Program Headers:
Type Offset VirtAddr PhysAddr FileSiz MemSiz Flg Align
EXIDX 0x092b78 0x0009ab78 0x0009ab78 0x00750 0x00750 R 0x4
LOAD 0x000000 0x00008000 0x00008000 0x93348 0x93348 R E 0x8000
LOAD 0x093348 0x000a3348 0x000a3348 0x008dc 0x063a8 RW 0x8000
NOTE 0x0000f4 0x000080f4 0x000080f4 0x00020 0x00020 R 0x4
TLS 0x093348 0x000a3348 0x000a3348 0x00010 0x00028 R 0x4
GNU_STACK 0x000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000 0x00000 RW 0x4

Section to Segment mapping:
Segment Sections...
00 .ARM.exidx
01 .note.ABI-tag .init .text __libc_freeres_fn .fini .rodata __libc_subfreeres __libc_atexit .ARM.extab .ARM.exidx .eh_frame
02 .tdata .init_array .fini_array .jcr .data.rel.ro .got .data .bss __libc_freeres_ptrs
03 .note.ABI-tag
04 .tdata .tbss

kexec --help on the kindle
Spoiler:
Quote:
[root@kindle root]# kexec --help
kexec-tools 2.0.3 released 09 September 2012
Usage: kexec [OPTION]... [kernel]
Directly reboot into a new kernel

-h, --help Print this help.
-v, --version Print the version of kexec.
-f, --force Force an immediate kexec,
don't call shutdown.
-x, --no-ifdown Don't bring down network interfaces.
(if used, must be last option
specified)
-l, --load Load the new kernel into the
current kernel.
-p, --load-panic Load the new kernel for use on panic.
-u, --unload Unload the current kexec target kernel.
If capture kernel is being unloaded
specify -p with -u.
-e, --exec Execute a currently loaded kernel.
-t, --type=TYPE Specify the new kernel is of this type.
--mem-min=<addr> Specify the lowest memory address to
load code into.
--mem-max=<addr> Specify the highest memory address to
load code into.
--reuseinitrd Reuse initrd from first boot.
--load-preserve-context Load the new kernel and preserve
context of current kernel during kexec.
--load-jump-back-helper Load a helper image to jump back
to original kernel.

Supported kernel file types and options:
uImage
--command-line=STRING Set the kernel command line to STRING.
--append=STRING Set the kernel command line to STRING.
--initrd=FILE Use FILE as the kernel's initial ramdisk.
--ramdisk=FILE Use FILE as the kernel's initial ramdisk.
zImage
--command-line=STRING Set the kernel command line to STRING.
--append=STRING Set the kernel command line to STRING.
--initrd=FILE Use FILE as the kernel's initial ramdisk.
--ramdisk=FILE Use FILE as the kernel's initial ramdisk.
Architecture options:

As usual these are just the raw files. No effort has been made to enable these to be actually "installed" or "used" - they are provided AS-IS. (hint... these just pretty much run anywho)

@dpavlin The buildroot thread contains a list of tips for such an undertaking. HTH.
Attached Files
File Type: gz kexec-3.3-bundle.tar.gz (508.0 KB, 258 views)

Last edited by twobob; 09-09-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: it's 2007q3
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #508
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Alternately: Source: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/kexec/

Configure: ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us --exec-prefix=/mnt/us --target=arm --host=i686-pc-linux --build=i686-pc-linux --without-xen

flags for the 3:

export ARCH_FLAGS="-march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp"
export CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector -O2 -ffast-math ${ARCH_FLAGS} -pipe -fomit-$
export CXXFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector" CPPFLAGS="-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE"
export HOST=i686-pc-linux
export BUILD=arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi

Might want this patch too... (in some form...)
Spoiler:

Quote:
[PATCH] vmcore-dmesg: don't enforce largefile handling

Breaks build on !largefile toolchains.

Instead simply use whatever mode is selected by toolchain / CFLAGS.

Signed-off-by: Peter Korsgaard <jacmet@sunsite.dk>
---
vmcore-dmesg/vmcore-dmesg.c | 2 --
1 file changed, 2 deletions(-)

Index: kexec-tools-2.0.3/vmcore-dmesg/vmcore-dmesg.c
================================================== =================
--- kexec-tools-2.0.3.orig/vmcore-dmesg/vmcore-dmesg.c
+++ kexec-tools-2.0.3/vmcore-dmesg/vmcore-dmesg.c
@@ -1,6 +1,4 @@
#define _XOPEN_SOURCE 600
-#define _LARGEFILE_SOURCE 1
-#define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
#include <endian.h>
#include <byteswap.h>
#include <stdio.h>

Enjoy

Last edited by twobob; 09-09-2012 at 02:23 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #509
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Is there any hope that the new K3 3.4 software can be used on the DXG? I know the update just came out today, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #510
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Is there any hope that the new K3 3.4 software can be used on the DXG? I know the update just came out today, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
You (or somebody else) would have to go through the steps yifanlu did to create the older 3.x for DX. Because of the smaller RAM in the DX, you might also have to remove some services or other memory hogs to get it to run with enough RAM left over for apps.

The new GPL source code is now available so you can build a custom linux kernel.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-11-2012 at 06:19 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote