Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Gawker: Turf War at the NY Times: Who Will Control the iPad?

http://gawker.com/5473023/

Quote:
On one side, a Times source explains, you have print circulation, which thinks it should control the iPad since it's just another way to distribute the paper. They'd like to charge $20 to $30 per month for the Times' forthcoming iPad app, basically the product already demonstrated on stage with Steve Jobs, the source said. Why so much? Because they're said to be afraid people will cancel the print paper if they can get the same thing on their iPad. Nevermind that iPad distribution comes with none of the paper or delivery costs associated with print, or that there's already a free electronic edition available to subscribers who cancel.

On the other side, you have the Times' digital operation, which is pushing to charge $10 per month for the iPad edition and is said to be up in arms over print circulation's pricing.
Yeah...not paying $360/year for the New York Times, regardless of format.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
How much is the print edition?
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Newspapers are pretty much doomed.

If they can't find away to exist solely off advertising money, they are screwed. People aren't going to pay for subscriptions (print or electronic) in great numbers in the internet age when you can get more news that you could ever consume for free. Especially with people having less free time, more distractions etc. than in the past which drives news readership down overall.

So I've never seen e-readers being any kind of savior to the print news industry. I did my undergrad in print journalism (though switched fields for grad school and subsequent career), and even I have little interest in paying for a newspaper subscription.

Easier to read the newspaper, news mags etc. online, the endless array of news blogs etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 02-16-2010 at 04:06 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
How much is the print edition?
In SF, its $14.80/week.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
In SF, its $14.80/week.
Then 30$ a month sounds reasonable to me.

After all, it's the same content, a better medium, and possibly ad-free.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But you can get it all for free at www.nytimes.com which is the problem.

There's no point in paying for print or an e-reader version for most people, even if they want to read the Times.

And I'd hardly call newspapers on an e-reader a better medium. The smaller size of even the large screen readers like the DX is still just too small to emulate the actual newspaper reading experience. I prefer website versions to e-reader versions personally.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
kjk

Quote:
Then 30$ a month sounds reasonable to me.

After all, it's the same content, a better medium, and possibly ad-free.
Oh, we stopped our subscription-like I said, even $30/month (I think that's what New Yorkers pay) is too much for me, regardless of media.

If I thought $30/month was reasonable for the print version, I'd pay that for the digital version-just for the convenience/updatedness of it (which is how I feel about eBook/paper book pricing as well). I just rely more on RSS feeds for my news now.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Yoshi 1080
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
And I'd hardly call newspapers on an e-reader a better medium. The smaller size of even the large screen readers like the DX is still just too small to emulate the actual newspaper reading experience. I prefer website versions to e-reader versions personally.
This is about the iPad. The 9.7" screen, full color and interactivity are pretty compelling features to me, not to mention the wireless updates.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
This is about the iPad. The 9.7" screen, full color and interactivity are pretty compelling features to me, not to mention the wireless updates.
9.7 is the same size as the DX. So size wise it's still not the same experience as reading a print paper IMO.

Though the faster page turns will be a huge help and make it easier to flip through like you would a real paper to see what you want to read. Which is tough on e-ink with the super slow page turns which making flipping and skimming a hassle.

Of course, that's all just my opinion. Not saying e-newspapers are useless or anything. I just don't care for them enough to pay for them when I can check the paper's website for free.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #10
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I just don't care for them enough to pay for them when I can check the paper's website for free.
And that's the fundamental problem that newspapers face today, let alone in the future; the NYT execs can argue all they like around pricing their content at $10-$20-$30 per month, but if the public aren't willing to pay pay ten cents for it (and when they can get it for free, why should they?) it's a non-starter.

Then again, I'm not a newspaper reader, so perhaps it's just me <shrug>
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote