Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
GOGGS75
Enthusiast
GOGGS75 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini + Kindle Touch
Sigil 7.0 taking longer to open files

Hi

I upgraded to the latest version of Sigil from v 6.2 and am finding that files take a lot longer to open. I have a desktop PC with 4GB RAM and am finding a file 3.9MB large is taking 90 seconds to open. Is this strange and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Goggs75
GOGGS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGGS75 View Post
Hi

I upgraded to the latest version of Sigil from v 6.2 and am finding that files take a lot longer to open. I have a desktop PC with 4GB RAM and am finding a file 3.9MB large is taking 90 seconds to open. Is this strange and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Goggs75
Tame your anti-virus.
Sigil on my old P4 w/2G RAM (way more than enough), is taking almost 45 seconds if I Launch with the file association. 25 Seconds if I just launch Sigil .

So
I started with the Original XT (Turbo-clone) 8080 CPU series, I am used to slow
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

Thanks for your suggestion.

I always open from Sigil not from Windows Explorer. I tried taking some protection of the folder I store my EPUB files in and this did not reduce the time a file is taking to open. I use Norton Internet Security.

Goggs75
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGGS75 View Post
Thanks for your suggestion.

I always open from Sigil not from Windows Explorer. I tried taking some protection of the folder I store my EPUB files in and this did not reduce the time a file is taking to open. I use Norton Internet Security.

Goggs75
You are asking the wrong person. There will never be another 'Yellow Box' product used in my house.
My Moto: "Friends who care, don't let friends do Norton"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
It's possible that 0.7.0 is doing more checking/updating or that something in Qt is slower, etc.. 0.7 does seem slower than 0.6.2 opening the 0.7.0 Sigil User Guide with cleaning on Pretty Print Tidy (16 seconds vs 11 seconds) but with debugging on its not a reliable test.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

I will try changing some of the preferences to see if this helps. Sigil is an excellent program for editing ebooks.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This seemed so very odd to me that I just opened my last two epubs, One took four seconds, the other took three seconds.

I use F-Prot anti-virus and the free Zone Alarm firewall.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
How long does it take you to open the 0.7.0 Sigil User Guide?

That goes for anyone - post your times (and OS) 0.6.2 vs 0.7.0 if you can, but even if not it would be interesting to see how fast/slow some people can open it.

The larger the EPUB and number of files and links between them, the longer it will take to open.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post

That goes for anyone - post your times (and OS) 0.6.2 vs 0.7.0 if you can, but even if not it would be interesting to see how fast/slow some people can open it.

The larger the EPUB and number of files and links between them, the longer it will take to open.
10.5 seconds to open using the shortcut on the desktop
8.75 seconds to open using the "open" command within Sigil

(Sigil 0.7.0, Windows 8 64bit 8GB RAM, with windows firewall/defender)
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
About 7-8 seconds on Vista 32-bit with 4Gb ram and a virgin install of 0.7.0.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

I am still having the same problem of a 3.9MB file taking 90 seconds to open on Sigil v7. I could not find the EPUB version of the userguide to measure how long this takes to open.

I had an warning message of high CPU usage when trying to open a larger file and monitored this when opening the 3.9MB file. The CPU usage shot up to 100% within seconds and remained at this for over 1 minutes. According to the Windows base score and another test tool my PC is healthy. It has a 4GB RAM running Vista 64.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The User guide epub is 7.16 MB. You can find it here.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I have an ePub that's much smaller than the user guide (2MB) and it takes nearly twice as long to load. But... as meme mentioned, it has a huge number of individual files and links to all of those files from the NCX and various HTML TOCs scattered throughout.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:

6.1 sec using Sigil 0.7.0 on Windows 7 Home
4.0 sec using Sigil 0.6.2 x64 on Windows 7 Home
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:

15 sec on my 2009 iMac w/2GB RAM running OS X 10.7.5 using the file open.

--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote