Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
bugsy74
bugsy74 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Kindle appears to be banned

Hello All,

My kindle keyboard's screen cracked and was still under warranty, so amazon sent me a new one. They said I didn't have to return the defective one and that I should take it to my local electronic store to have it disposed of properly.

Instead, I decided to buy a replacement screen to see if I could resurrect it. It worked. The new screen works fine. However, it seems that the kindle is banned or blacklisted. I can't register it. I can't get updates. I can't create collections. I can't even change the time.

Is this kindle worthless or can I get around this blacklisted status.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bugs.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Usually happens when a Kindle is reported stolen/lost/broken. They blacklist it.

Nothing you can do, besides using it unregistered or slightly fake registered, which will only help using some basic features, like collections & time.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
bugsy74

Thanks for the response, how can I slightly fake register it to have the basic features?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Google is your friend (keyword: reginfo).
Old 10-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
You can also spoof the SN/mac/
Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
bugsy74

Sorry I'm not very fluent in all this tech speak. What is "spoofing the SN/mac/".

Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy74 View Post
Sorry I'm not very fluent in all this tech speak. What is "spoofing the SN/mac/".

Sorry for my ignorance.
Spoofing means to copy the identifying information from a one device to a another device. In your case, it would mean copying from a fully functional kindle to your banned kindle. You could think of it as a form of identity theft.

It is possible in some cases for amazon to see that two devices are using the same identity. Although technically possible, it falls into a legal area that may not be allowed in some countries. It would certainly be a bad idea to sell such a spoofed device.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
bugsy74

[snip]Thanks in advance for helping out, as I'm not a techie by any stretch of the imagination, but I can follow instructions if they don't assume I know too much about all the software and tools that are needed.[/snip]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 10-31-2012 at 03:13 AM. Reason: request for detailed information removed
Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Moderator Notice
Hello Bugs,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Please understand that it is not our position to offer advice or help in how to spoof Kindle IDs, in particular given the scenario you described (replacement Kindle received).

As geekmaster explained, it could ultimately lead to having both of your devices banned from Amazon.

Thanks for your understanding.

Alex
Mod Team
Closed Thread