Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Feature want: Save As starts in current folder

I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, and I'm not expecting anyone to hand it to me because I want it. Still, it would be nice.

Why does "save as" automatically start in *the last folder saved into* rather than the folder where the currently-open file resides? I've accidentally saved files in the wrong folder several times. I'd much prefer "save as" to start where the current file is and navigate from there if I want to save into a different folder.

Is there a setting I'm missing that could change this? I'm using version 5.3 on a WinXP computer.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement, and I'm not expecting anyone to hand it to me because I want it. Still, it would be nice.

Why does "save as" automatically start in *the last folder saved into* rather than the folder where the currently-open file resides? I've accidentally saved files in the wrong folder several times. I'd much prefer "save as" to start where the current file is and navigate from there if I want to save into a different folder.

Is there a setting I'm missing that could change this? I'm using version 5.3 on a WinXP computer.
I believe that is a Windows default action.
There may be a way to have a 'Default Save As folder' preference.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'd much prefer "save as" to start where the current file is and navigate from there if I want to save into a different folder.
I agree. I've had to track down where I saved epubs several times.

Not a huge deal, by any means, but it'd seem much more intuitive to me. Now with "open/add," it makes perfect sense to start at the last folder you added/opened something from.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I believe that is a Windows default action.
There may be a way to have a 'Default Save As folder' preference.
I don't want a default "Save As" folder that I always have to navigate from. I have ebooks sorted into author folders, and I want them to start in "the folder where this file is currently located," and I don't think there's a default setting for that.

It's possible it's using either the last save-as location or the last "open" location. I tend to open epubs by double-clicking on them rather than opening Sigil and then navigating to the folder, and that may be throwing things off.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Same issue on Ubuntu 12.04.

I've 'lost' ePubs several times this way. I would like to see this feature, too -- save to original folder, not last-used folder. I'm often making duplicate ePubs for conversion to MOBI and I end up having to hunt it down, or do it more than once.

Aloha,
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
That feature ("save as" directory being the same as the directory the file has been opened from) has been implemented by meme in 0.6.x, check http://code.google.com/p/sigil/sourc...bab4d950cb4f4f

that patch should work for 0.5.3 too (I tested, and it seems to work).

Personally, I wanted the the dir I opened the file from to be also used for:
- save as
- add existing file(s) (for html/xhtml, stylesheets, images, fonts... etc)
I couldn't do that by hacking the Sigil C++ code, so I use this rather hackish script to launch Sigil on Linux:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

PATH=$(dirname "$1")

/usr/bin/perl -p -i -e 's!(lastfolderopen|lastfoldersave|lastfolderadd)=.*!$1='"$PATH"'!g' ~/.config/Strahinja\ Markovic/Sigil.conf

/usr/bin/sigil "$@"
what it does is sync all the lastfolderopen/lastfoldersave/lastfolderadd values in Sigil.conf to the dir I opened a file from, before launching Sigil; it seems to work with no problems up till now.
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Yes, the 0.6.0 beta sets the save as folder default to be your last opened folder. But since I don't add many HTML files I never noticed that its not in sync. I'll add an updated patch for the next version that will set the default folder for add existing files to your last opened folder. If you change the folder in add existing, it will use that folder as the add existing default until you Open a new book or restart.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Yes, the 0.6.0 beta sets the save as folder default to be your last opened folder. But since I don't add many HTML files I never noticed that its not in sync. I'll add an updated patch for the next version that will set the default folder for add existing files to your last opened folder. If you change the folder in add existing, it will use that folder as the add existing default until you Open a new book or restart.
I don't want it saved in "the last open folder," especially if that's "the last folder I added files from;" I want it saved in the folder where the epub resides. (I will understand if this is difficult/complicated; I don't know how that kind of thing is arranged.)

I have several places where I draw files from, and I don't want to save my epubs into those places. (Not just HTML files, although I do use those when setting things up. I also have images and stylesheets that get swapped around.) When I swap the epub CSS for the mobi CSS, I want to save the file in the same folder with a suffix; I don't want it saved into the "parts" folder that has my xhtml templates, css files, and standard images.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@elf
IIRC there are 3 choices available in Windows:
Current folder (where opened)
Last time used (Save As) folder
(Hard or designated) Specified folder

Given the choices, I would prefer to preset a 'Work' folder that I knew where to find the results of my work
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
The settings in Windows have no affect on the last folder option that we're talking about. That's handled only in Sigil.

It sounds like we have conflicting requirements. Ahmad wants Open, Save, and Add Existing to all be the same. Elfwreck wants Open and Save to be the same, and Add Existing to be different.

The patch in 0.6.0 beta makes the Open and Save folder the same. So if you Open a new EPUB file, the folder used is saved and will be the default folder when you restart Sigil or do a Save As. If you do a Save As and change the folder, then that folder becomes the default for Open as well as Save As.

The conflict is in how to deal with Add Existing Files. At the moment (in the 0.6.0 beta), Add Existing is a separate setting. It defaults to where you opened sigil when first used, but after that it remembers the folder you last used when running Add Existing, even after restarting. It is not affected by Open or Save As.

Since this seems to cover Elfwreck's requirements, and I can see how changing the Add Existing folder to match the Open folder when you use the Add Existing to add in standard templates from a central directory, I will leave the last folder patch as it is in the beta.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #11
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you! That sounds like it fixes the problems. (Or at least, fixes mine.)