Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #166
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yah but thats always been the case and I in fact said that myself if you read the entire context of my post and not just the part you clipped out.

As far as "great writers" I might argue that. If the book is successful then they have very likely communicated something that the audience wants. It may be ideas, characters, concepts, not necessarily great writing or great plot or luscious words...but certainly something that touched the audience to make it a success. To me that is what great writing is about, connecting with the audience in a way that is meaningful.

Last edited by kennyc; 05-01-2012 at 04:34 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #167
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've tried just about every marketing and sponsorship there is-ereader IQ, KND, ENT, etc., as well as Goodreads. Some worked and some didn't, but it also depended on the era.

I have also done blog tours, huge giveaway events, and things like Be Nicholson's Agent where I gave away 15 percent of my income one month to book bloggers. I've spent money but I have also made money--I run my writing business like a business.

I took a lot of what I learned an put it into our new site [promotion deleted - MODERAT0R]. We do a daily digest and weekly Kindle Fire giveaways to keep attracting new readers and bringing them back. We're just launching and I invite you to take a look--$10 sponsorships as out introductory price.

As an author myself, I know it is getting harder to get a book noticed, and i hope we can help. If nothing else, I hope you look at our example and be inspired by it in your own marketing! I also have lots of writing/marketing articles on my blog and website that may be helpful. Good luck.

Scott

Scott

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-12-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #168
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's great to hear from you, Scott! I for one would love to hear more of your insights and advice

On another note, I experienced somewhat of a traffic spike from Stumbleupon this past weekend. About 3000 pageviews in one week. That's a whole heck of a lot more than I'd had in any of the weeks prior. I think this is indicative of the blogging experience: you blog for a long time and then an inexplicable traffic spike happens.

One of the posts that was popular, "Science Fiction is Dead. Now What?" is very similar to many of your blog posts, Mr. Jordan. That's why I, at the risk of being annoying, will continue to encourage you to BOOKMARK ALL OF YOUR BLOG POSTS ON STUMBLEUPON .

You may want to feather in some "stumbles" from other sites among your own to guard against getting banned for spamming.

And on getting reviews, I just received a pretty decent review for my self-published audiobook of bizarro stories from an emerging book blogger I met on Goodreads. I, like other indies, am building a rather large list of connections on Twitter and Goodreads. Sometimes these connections can lead to book bloggers wanting to review your stuff without you even asking. This is a fringe benefit of maintaining a somewhat higher profile on the social media sites.

However, I preemptively admit that one must also keep writing and not just "mash buttons" on the social media sites.
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #169
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwfleming View Post
One of the posts that was popular, "Science Fiction is Dead. Now What?" is very similar to many of your blog posts, Mr. Jordan. That's why I, at the risk of being annoying, will continue to encourage you to BOOKMARK ALL OF YOUR BLOG POSTS ON STUMBLEUPON .

Not looked at Stumbleupon yet. Hmm.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #170
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Patty Jansen (and Mark Coker of Smashwords) on Self-Publishing:

http://pattyjansen.wordpress.com/201...lf-publishing/

http://pattyjansen.wordpress.com/201...ther-thoughts/

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/145431

Last edited by kennyc; 05-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #171
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Patty's comments are good, straightforward advice.

Makes me wanna write a book.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #172
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks KennyC for these links, especially the free ebook on self-publishing! With regard to her book, I'm excited to read her chapter on meta-data magic. I think there might be some real gems in there.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #173
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude

I have about 690 followers on Twitter currently, have tweeted almost a 1000 times and today I just got some of my first organic referrers to my blog (2, actually). Is it broken? Am I doing it wrong? Suggestions...

On the other hand, I am liking the results I'm seeing with StumbleUpon and, more recently, Google +. Google + currently allows it users a great deal of flexibility and exposure.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #174
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On the other hand, I am liking the results I'm seeing with StumbleUpon and, more recently, Google +. Google + currently allows it users a great deal of flexibility and exposure.
How are you using StumbleUpon? Paid ? Free? what?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #175
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude

I was not aware that there was a paid StumbleUpon option. I am using it free. Basically, I blogged for about a year (65 posts) then stumbled, liked and commented on practically all of my posts in a period of a little over a week (while adding other users and liking other posts as well). This gave me a fairly big spike that has since tapered off.

I have heard stories, however, of old blog posts getting huge amounts of traffic because of being randomly found and rediscovered on Stumble.

The good thing about the spike was it gave me a better idea of what posts were working and what weren't. As soon as I saw I was getting traffic to certain posts, I changed my social media buttons to display counters so that other visitors would see what posts were doing well and read those posts.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #176
VydorScope
Wizard

Hmmm, I thought that was against their rules for free accounts? Maybe I misunderstood them.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #177
theapatra
author of Water Witch
theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theapatra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I was not aware that there was a paid StumbleUpon option. I am using it free. Basically, I blogged for about a year (65 posts) then stumbled, liked and commented on practically all of my posts in a period of a little over a week (while adding other users and liking other posts as well). This gave me a fairly big spike that has since tapered off.

I have heard stories, however, of old blog posts getting huge amounts of traffic because of being randomly found and rediscovered on Stumble.

The good thing about the spike was it gave me a better idea of what posts were working and what weren't. As soon as I saw I was getting traffic to certain posts, I changed my social media buttons to display counters so that other visitors would see what posts were doing well and read those posts.
SU is still a mystery to me. Glad you found some success with it, and then spread the word. I'm going to try this. TY
theapatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #178
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've decided to investigate whether the "Science Fiction" label is actually impacting interest and sales adversely: I'm rebranding my books as primarily "Fiction" or "Modern Fiction" in meta tags and introductory site texts. Story descriptions are still there, so people can figure it out after they read them.

This is in reaction to this thread, where we've discussed the possibility that the SF label has become unattractive enough with the public as to be avoided or outright hidden.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #179
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I've decided to investigate whether the "Science Fiction" label is actually impacting interest and sales adversely: I'm rebranding my books as primarily "Fiction" or "Modern Fiction" in meta tags and introductory site texts. Story descriptions are still there, so people can figure it out after they read them.

This is in reaction to this thread, where we've discussed the possibility that the SF label has become unattractive enough with the public as to be avoided or outright hidden.
Please keep us posted Steve. I know there is definite negative attitude towards science in many parts of the public these days. I'm working on an essay about it. I'm sure it's impacting hard SF as well. (though that's not part of what I'm writing/researching)
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #180
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post

So, gee, thanks you just pulled me into another thread... grrr... anyways I would also love to hear the results you have with this.

Tags
epublishing tactics, indie publishing, tips and tricks