Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #31
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I'd like to be able to organize books by genre (fantasy, sci fi, mystery, horror, etc).
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
I'd like to be able to organize books by genre (fantasy, sci fi, mystery, horror, etc).
Rather than genre, I think the a more generic category browsing solution would be useful. Of course. one would need a solution that would handle both the ePub via ADE and KOBO Desktop.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #33
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Firmware Request:

+ Option to show Battery meter while reading (or on every screen) (ie. persistent battery level meter).

+ Read while Charging -> If plugging in a USB power cable, the screen should not go to the Plugged In screen, but allow user to read while plugged in (this also helps plan for Long Term use of the device, ie. say in 5 years when the battery has used up all its cycles, or for location or venue installed devices).

+ Option to use a custom OFF screen (ie. Cover) (Kobo desktop application could have a menu that allows user to upload a user defined image, that then has a cropped preview of how the image will look -> the user can move the crop area to adust the image that will be used to fit the device screen)

+ Ability to 'lock' the e-reader or customize how menus are displayed. (If this feature and the custom screen is used, then this would have VERY relevant use in Church services, Parishes (for hymnals and lectionaries), Schools and Corporate settings)
** imagine hosting a meeting where all documents are on the ereader and participants have the required materials on pre-customized devices
** or for Public Speakers
** or use in Museums, Art exhibits, product launches, tours, bars, maps, etc
** Ie. Allows subBranding -> Powered by Kobo
** Also imagine giving the Kobo Reader as a Gift (ie. give your wife a Kobo with customized menu, cover and books/poems, etc for her birthday) or as an invitation to an event (ie. those exclusive vip events)

+ Option to support non-English Fonts (ie. Cyrillic, Coptic, Arabic, Greek, Asian font sets -> use windows/mac font files - TrueType etc).

+ Fix CSS and font scaling Bug:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
a bug in Kobo, which will have to be fixed by the Kobo team.

Other non-Ebook Related features that could add value to the device
+ Send page via bluetooth -> want to text message a quote?
+ Bluetooth enhancements -> Control pc via bluetooth
+ Control Slideshows (powerpoint) via Bluetooth on the Kobo Reader (another possible tool for public speakers, Priests, Pastors, Students and use in corporate meetings) (the Blue Button is perfect for controling a powerpoint slide)(ie. Kobo Clicker)

Some other ideas that have also been mentioned by other forum members:
+ Jump to pages (both in PDF and EPUB)
+ Auto Standby or Auto Off with current page (ie. option to have the device go to no-power consumption mode while keeping the current page displayed -> there can even be a small icon to show that the device is off that gets added before the device automatically does this)
+ Option in Settings menu to go directly to last read page immediately after powering up from off state (currently the reader goes to the "What I'm Reading" page).
+ Faster refresh times
+ More options when handling PDFs

Last edited by lchen; 05-05-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: More wishlist ideas
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #34
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

I would like to see the overall number of pages left in a book I'm reading, not just the chapter. Preferably have this overall number of pages not related to the font size I'm using as well.
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #35
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Some great suggestions on this thread and I agree with most of them. In particular:
* Support for Categories and other sorting options.
* On-device management of "Now Reading" and library titles.
* Bookmarks and ability to navigate to specific page numbers.

In addition, I'd was quite disappointed to discover that Mac version of the Kobo Software was Intel Mac only. The Sony eReader software runs on PowerPC Macs so it seems reasonable to me to expect the Kobo Software to run on it too. But if you *aren't* going to support older Macs, at least say so prominently on the website/packaging so that we can make an informed purchase.
Croptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #36
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
I only wish an open source firmware, so we could hack it they way we like.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #37
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
An opensource firmware would help build a strong community around the reader. Might drive more sales too. That'd be a first for an eReader vendor to fully open it's source for device firmwares. I agree the Kobo Team has potential to embrace a leadership position in the market by doing so. With the Calculated Risk is Potential for great Reward.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #38
mfpreach
Enthusiast
mfpreach began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
without a touch screen or a keyboard, not sure how you get around this issue. How do other ereaders handle navigating your library?

I agree it could get quite cumbersome to find a specific book if you have a large library.
Easy, you just have to have a number wheel, 0-9 , click up to increase the number, its quite easy actually, many computer UIs have this.
mfpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #39
mfpreach
Enthusiast
mfpreach began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchen View Post
Firmware Request:

+ Option to show Battery meter while reading (or on every screen) (ie. persistent battery level meter).

+ Read while Charging -> If plugging in a USB power cable, the screen should not go to the Plugged In screen, but allow user to read while plugged in (this also helps plan for Long Term use of the device, ie. say in 5 years when the battery has used up all its cycles, or for location or venue installed devices).

+ Option to use a custom OFF screen (ie. Cover) (Kobo desktop application could have a menu that allows user to upload a user defined image, that then has a cropped preview of how the image will look -> the user can move the crop area to adust the image that will be used to fit the device screen)

+ Ability to 'lock' the e-reader or customize how menus are displayed. (If this feature and the custom screen is used, then this would have VERY relevant use in Church services, Parishes (for hymnals and lectionaries), Schools and Corporate settings)
** imagine hosting a meeting where all documents are on the ereader and participants have the required materials on pre-customized devices
** or for Public Speakers
** or use in Museums, Art exhibits, product launches, tours, bars, maps, etc
** Ie. Allows subBranding -> Powered by Kobo
** Also imagine giving the Kobo Reader as a Gift (ie. give your wife a Kobo with customized menu, cover and books/poems, etc for her birthday) or as an invitation to an event (ie. those exclusive vip events)

Other non-Ebook Related features that could add value to the device
+ Send page via bluetooth -> want to text message a quote?
+ Bluetooth enhancements -> Control pc via bluetooth
+ Control Slideshows (powerpoint) via Bluetooth on the Kobo Reader (another possible tool for public speakers, Priests, Pastors, Students and use in corporate meetings) (the Blue Button is perfect for controling a powerpoint slide)(ie. Kobo Clicker)

Some other ideas that have also been mentioned by other forum members:
+ Jump to pages (both in PDF and EPUB)
+ Auto Standby or Auto Off with current page (ie. option to have the device go to no-power consumption mode while keeping the current page displayed -> there can even be a small icon to show that the device is off that gets added before the device automatically does this)
+ Option in Settings menu to go directly to last read page immediately after powering up from off state (currently the reader goes to the "What I'm Reading" page).
+ Faster refresh times
+ More options when handling PDFs
I agree with almost everything, except I don't have a problem whatsoever with refresh times on epubs. I have used other ereaders and this is on par with them. Assuming you are talking about page turns, it still flips faster than I can flip paper
mfpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #40
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpreach View Post
Easy, you just have to have a number wheel, 0-9 , click up to increase the number, its quite easy actually, many computer UIs have this.
Don't get it. Number wheel to navigate the letters of the alphabet?
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #41
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthoid View Post
I like the device - for the time I tried it in the store. But for me the major issue is (drum roll).....

1. PDF Reflow.
Why is it I get the feeling that the majority of people purchased the kobo for THAT reason!

This is all quite interesting especially when their Mission Statement goes something like:

Quote:
Kobo's vision is to deliver any book on any device, worldwide. We believe in giving consumers choice in what they read, how they read and where they shop. We are committed to being global, open, and device neutral - ensuring readers have the freedom of choice when it comes to reading digitally.
So, reading this thread is giving me that queer feeling inside that we're asking for way too much.

Is all this doable thru Firmware update?
  • Because I don't want to go out and buy a new model with bells and whistles.
  • Because in that case I'll return my KOBO and wait for the next "Model"
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #42
somecanuck
Enthusiast
somecanuck is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I must be the only person who doesn't care about PDFs. Any novels in PDF format, I convert to EPUB. I guess I don't intend to use the Kobo for diagrams.
somecanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #43
GabrielR
GabrielR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo ereader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
Why is it I get the feeling that the majority of people purchased the kobo for THAT reason!

This is all quite interesting especially when their Mission Statement goes something like:

So, reading this thread is giving me that queer feeling inside that we're asking for way too much.

Is all this doable thru Firmware update?
  • Because I don't want to go out and buy a new model with bells and whistles.
  • Because in that case I'll return my KOBO and wait for the next "Model"
Lol, no I think you just get an un-representative selection of Kobo users here. Lets be honest most people who are here are those who are having issues with their Kobo, and most of those people are those wanting to use them to read PDF's. There are probably a lot more people who aren't having issues, who are just reading e-books, we just never hear from this silent majority =P
GabrielR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #44
juiceless
Enthusiast
juiceless began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecanuck View Post
I must be the only person who doesn't care about PDFs. Any novels in PDF format, I convert to EPUB. I guess I don't intend to use the Kobo for diagrams.
You're not the only one. I bought this to read books, and all the PDF books I have I converted to epub without problem. I'm very pleased so far, and will simply be more pleased when the text-resizing issue is fixed.
juiceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #45
midtoad
midtoad began at the beginning.

Auto power-off: this isn't really an issue, since there's no power consumption while displaying pages, only when you change a page. But yes, the buttons are still active when the power is on, so if you want to put the reader in your backpack, you'll want to turn it off. Powering off the unit only takes a second so why do we need an auto-off function?

PDF reflow: I'm as surprised as most people that there's no PDF reflow. Most of the PDF docs I put on the device are illegible and unusable given how long it takes each page to refresh when you press the arrow button.

Deleting the built-in books: a friend of mine asked Kobo about this and was told that will be addressed in an update. That tells me two things: 1) Kobo is listening, and 2) there WILL be updates, which is good news in and of itself.

Now, let's give Kobo some time to work on these issues. You can be certain they want to succeed with this venture, so they're likely to make a few improvements. I'm already happy with the device as is, but of course will welcome a few changes.
midtoad is offline   Reply With Quote