Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
koyuk
koyuk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Case for DX

Hi,

I am new here and I know I am getting a DX for Xmas I was looking around for threads on cases for the DX but I haven't found any good advice on cases. Anyone have a suggestion for a case that is light and protective?

Thanks
koyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
well, there are really three things you should consider: cases, skins, and screen protectors. I bought a yellow m-edge protector case for my KDX at the amazon kindle store, and i'm happy with it. For skins and screen protector, I went to decalgirl.com -- they have a decent selection of skins (amazon.com has hardly any). I got the clear screen protector there as well, but amazon.com would do just as well
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The Amazon case works quite well for home use. If you plan to carry it around, the M-Edge cases have more padding and some have straps or zips for better protection if you put your DX into a backpack or bag. Oberon leather cases are works of art - with excellent padding and fantastic designs - but pricey.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
puglover333
Enthusiast
puglover333 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.puglover333 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.puglover333 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3 KDXG
If you want something light - don't go with oberon. While they are great and beautiful covers, they are heavy.

I personally prefer not to use a cover around the house. I use a sleeve instead. I prefer not to deal with the extra weight and bulk of a cover around the house. I bought the slip case from waterfield and have nothing but good things to say about it - http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindle/kindlecase.htm

When I take it out I use a M-Edge platform cover. I feel it provides a decent amount of protection, plus you can stand the DX up in it. Great for reading at restaruants. Plus the cover folds back easily. Here is the link to their store and this cover (amazon.com does sell these, but not all the colors) - http://www.medgestore.com/products/k...x-platform.psp

I also highly recommed a skin. Decalgirl.com is great.
puglover333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Oberons aren't THAT heavy! and definetly a work of art! and quite protective as well!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
M-Edge covers are solid and should protect it well. There's also Noreve's covers - very nice and sleek:
http://www.noreve.com/brand/Amazon/p...Tradition.html
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
koyuk

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up with a medge platform case, octo splash case and a skin. I am still looking for the screen protector
I am still not sure about the platform case will be lite enough.. I like to read before I fall asleep we will see..

Thanks for all the suggestions...
Old 12-20-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just wondering.... Why do you feel you need a screen protector? It's not as if you're going to touch the screen so the surface wouldn't get worn.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have always used screen protectors on any device like this - eg cameras, even though the screens are not designed to be touched. Anything can scratch it.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:04 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard

It's just that an extra layer would mean an extra layer to see through - and on the whole IMHO unneccessary
Old 12-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #11
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I bought the Oberon cover for my DX. Too heavy. Ordered the Noreve. Lighter, but still a bit on the heavy side. By themselves not too bad, but when combined with the weight of the DX, it is just too much. I might go back to the plain old Amazon black leather cover. Not perfect or very pretty, but definitely lighter.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
For those still reading this, I had the Amazon cover since I purchased my DX--several months now.

I just received as a present the Coach cover. It doesn't have the hook connections, but I really prefer it over the Amazon cover.

The leather feels great in your hands and it really classes up the DX. Very pleased with it!
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #13
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
SanAntone,
I checked on-line for a Coach Kindle cover, but was unable to find it. Where did yours come from?
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
squeaky
squeaky began at the beginning.

Does the M-Edge allow you to use a book hands-free in the landscape mode?
squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
koyuk

SanAntone,
I also checked for the coach case and I couldn't find it. Where did you get it?