Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-10-2023, 04:09 PM   #1
Froob
Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 2 (626)
PocketBook TouchLux 2 (626) - Cant read serial number (won't start)

Hey,

I recently tried to upgrade the firmware of my pocketbook TouchLux 2 (626) by using an sd card.
The update process sadly froze (or was stuck several hours and I got impatient). So I restarted the device. Now I just see a black screen with the text "Cant read serial number".

I'm also not able anymore to go to the software update screen (if I hold back and forth buttons, I'm stuck in an hourglass boot loop until i release the buttons, that's when it goes back to the cant read serial number screen).

I also tried resetting the firmware by holding the power button for 15 secs. Also doesn't help, I'm coming back to the black cant read serial number screen.

I wonder, did I brick my device? Is there any chance to get the internal sd card working again?

I hope you can help me here.
Froob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:16 PM   #2
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Read this THREAD
BetterBoy's post #137 should solve your problem. I've added some info below his post to fill in some gaps.

EDIT: I'm guessing you can't access your device serial from the device settings?
Settings -> About Device -> Device Model -> Serial number
Hopefully you kept the original box which will have a sticker with the serial on the side. (Bottom underside on mine)

If you try with a brand new microsd card you can keep the original in its current state which you can put back anytime, so seems worth a try.

You will need to open your device which I presume will void the warranty. You obviously continue with this processes at your own risk!

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-10-2023 at 11:37 PM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2023, 02:09 PM   #3
Froob
Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Froob knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Thanks a lot! After putting in several hours, I got it to boot again.

Sadly, the touchscreen doesn't work anymore now. I was quite careful during the procedure so I don't think that I broke something.
Is this a known issue, that something like that could happen?
Old 10-12-2023, 03:29 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Usually it means you updated to firmware for another device. The drivers in the new package don't match the hardware in the ereader. Perhaps you could reinstall the old firmware to get back to a working system before tinkering further.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 08:03 PM   #5
Froob

Interesting. Well, the problem is, that my old firmware doesn't boot at all. It would just go to the "can't read serial number" screen (doesn't even start booting up). I wonder if that old SD card is really beyond fixing, but I figured it easier, to get a new SD card and flash the firmware.
Which worked pretty well, until I realized that the touchscreen wouldn't work.

You don't happen to know, if I can somehow get my fingers on a firmware image that would actually fit my pocketbook then?
I just found the one that was given in the referenced Russian tutorial. But some random tutorial surely can't be the only place on earth where I can get the firmware.

Last edited by Froob; 10-12-2023 at 08:08 PM.
Advert
Old 10-12-2023, 11:18 PM   #6
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps now you have a semi-operational device you can try performing a manual firmware update?

If you do grab a backup image of the microsd card as it is now beforehand.

Code:
Manual Update
1. Open site www.pocketbook-int.com. Select your
country.
2. Click the Support button on top menu. Select hardware model of your Device.
3. Download the Firmware to your PC.
4. Unpack the content of the archive, file SWUPDATE.BIN
and copy it to the root folder of internal Device storage.
5. Switch off the Device by pressing button On/Off.
6. Press and hold both Backward and Forward buttons.
7. Switch on the Device by pressing On/Off. Hold
both Backward and Forward buttons until the message
Firmware update… is displayed on the screen.
8. Follow the on-screen instructions with pictures:
connect USB cable to the Device and Press Menu Key
Latest firmware for the T2 626

Latest firmware for the T3 626

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-13-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:37 AM   #7
Froob

That sadly still doesn't work. Even with the new firmware I go to a boot-loop (hourglass) while holding down Backward and Forward Button while I have an sd inside that has a recent SWUPDATE.bin on it.
Also tried unpacking the SWUPDATE.bin before. Doesn't work. I think that, despite showing the language selection screen and beeing able to scroll in it using Back/Forward buttons, my software-image really doesn't seem to like the pocketbook.

Would be nice if it was possible to generate the whole image just from the software update file.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:41 AM   #8
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froob View Post
That sadly still doesn't work. Even with the new firmware I go to a boot-loop (hourglass) while holding down Backward and Forward Button while I have an sd inside that has a recent SWUPDATE.bin on it.
Also tried unpacking the SWUPDATE.bin before. Doesn't work. I think that, despite showing the language selection screen and beeing able to scroll in it using Back/Forward buttons, my software-image really doesn't seem to like the pocketbook.

Would be nice if it was possible to generate the whole image just from the software update file.
Just to confirm, are you putting the SWUPDATE.BIN file on the primary/internal card (that the Pocketbook boots from), or a blank one? Should be on the primary/internal one within /mnt/ext1

Transferring the .bin direct to the Pocketbook via USB cable is how I did it.

If you have a secondary/external microsd I'd remove it from the Pocketbook for the update procedure just in case.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-13-2023 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2023, 06:28 AM   #9
Froob

Good catch, I had it on an external/blank SD.

I now put the SWUPDATE.bin on the internal SD and yeah, it worked. I was able to update it again. Sadly, Touchscreen didn't work after the update.

BUT, I then downloaded the touchlux 3 (626) firmware (not the most recent one, one before that) and installed it and now it works. Apparently I had a touchlux 3 all the time? Great, that there's literally no way to see which one I have since they look the same and the model number just says PocketBook 626.

Amazing. It even remembered the bookstore I bought it from several years ago.
I'm a bit curious how it did that. I mean, everything is flashed and brand new. There must be a storage for that, that is not on the sd card. Quite impressive, where did the manufacturers hide that?

But thank you very much for your great help! Now I just need some books to read
Old 10-13-2023, 07:26 AM   #10
neil_swann80

I'm very pleased that's now working for you. Happy reading!
Old 10-13-2023, 11:52 AM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
There are many partitions on pocketbook devices, and flashing updates only some of them. The partition that is user accessible and contains the configuration files and ebooks is usually preserved when flashing.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote