Notices

Old 07-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
asllearner
Enthusiast
asllearner began at the beginning.

Device: none
updating covers

Using latest version on mac monterey

I sometimes manually edit the cover.jpg files for a book. When I do, the resulting image does not immediately appear in my book details side panel or in the cover grid. It does appear in the Edit metadata window amd book details popup window, interestingly. Sometimes I edit many covers.

I wonder if there is a way to get Calibre to reload the covers other than these rather time consuming means:

1. restarting
2. copying and pasting the cover for each cover
3. going to the edit metadata and clicking update cover for format (does not work for djvu files since djvu does not generate a cover on import, unlike pdf, epub, etc., and so I have to create my own.)

Thank you in advance for your support.

Last edited by asllearner; 07-06-2023 at 03:52 PM. Reason: add thank you.
asllearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
How are you editing the cover.jpg files? Within Calibre or using an external photo editing software?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2023, 08:57 PM   #3
asllearner
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
How are you editing the cover.jpg files? Within Calibre or using an external photo editing software?
external editor. Sometimes I edit the file in situ, sometimes I just import or overwrite the file.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:36 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No calibre does not continuously monitor the filesystem for changes. If you edit things outside it, it will not pick up changes instantly. In the case of covers various caches are involved to prevent having to load potentially alrge images repeatedly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:30 AM   #5
asllearner
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No calibre does not continuously monitor the filesystem for changes. If you edit things outside it, it will not pick up changes instantly. In the case of covers various caches are involved to prevent having to load potentially alrge images repeatedly.
Thanks. I can understand that it would be detrimental to monitor the filesystem, but it would be nice, for example, if there were some way to force a reload of the currently selected book(s)' directory(ies). I can run a library maintenance check and do it that way, for example. I guess I would just hope for a way to do it on the fly, like a shortcut, button, or menu command.
Advert
Old 07-07-2023, 01:03 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On Windows:

I edit covers via calibre's built-in Open With option -- Shift+I opens the cover in Irfanview. Once I've saved the edited cover I use the View Manager (optional plugin)->Re-Apply Current View option (I have it hooked Ctrl+Alt+R) - et voila the edited cover is displayed.

There's probably a way to do the 'refresh' without View Manager.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:16 PM   #7
asllearner
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On Windows:

I edit covers via calibre's built-in Open With option -- Shift+I opens the cover in Irfanview. Once I've saved the edited cover I use the View Manager (optional plugin)->Re-Apply Current View option (I have it hooked Ctrl+Alt+R) - et voila the edited cover is displayed.

There's probably a way to do the 'refresh' without View Manager.

BR
I appreciate the suggestion, and either I am doing it wrong, or it doesn't work on mac. I followed your suggested route. Some of time there is no cover and I am adding a new one, but adding it directly into the folder. View Manager-> re-Apply current view doesn't seem to have any effect.
Old 07-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asllearner View Post
I appreciate the suggestion, and either I am doing it wrong, or it doesn't work on mac. I followed your suggested route. Some of time there is no cover and I am adding a new one, but adding it directly into the folder. View Manager-> re-Apply current view doesn't seem to have any effect.
If a book has no cover you must add it to calibre directly.

There are various ways to do that, my preference is to copy the image to the clipboard and then paste it into the book via Add books->Add files to selected book records from clipboard -- which I have at Shift+Alt+V.

The VM->Re-apply… trick only works for edited or replacement covers.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 07:40 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by asllearner View Post
Some of time there is no cover and I am adding a new one, but adding it directly into the folder.
That is the wrong way to do it.
You should "Edit Metadata" on the library entry and select "Browse" under where the cover is normally displayed.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covers, covers not displaying